frostiana

The Adjustment of Status Interview - (not ROC)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am hoping to get a description of what goes on at this interview, which not everyone gets. We have ours on Feb. 13 in Detroit. What sort of questions do they ask and has anyone had any experiences they can share ? What exactly is the point of this interview? Is there a possibility to get denied at this stage for the permanent residency? Do they ever separate the couple and ask questions?

We are bringing lots of documentation, photo's, proof of joint bank account, etc. but since we've only been marrried since November it's hard to show a lot of history. Any advice very much appreciated, just want to be prepared for 'anything'.

Thank you!(F) (F) (F)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

See our history, you can get a denial or an RFE at this stage, yes you can get separated in a STOKES Interview. Most likely if you are over prepared i.e. have an exact copy of everything and an original, with a table of contents your wife and you will know all the answers. The IO will swear you in, get your ID, review the I495 application in detail, ask the Beneficiary about drug, military, prostitution, terrorism etc. You will show proof of on ongoing relationship and the IO will ask some checking questions out of the blue, usual in any interview of this type. From Canada will be a no brainier, no English issues. Good Luck.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I am hoping to get a description of what goes on at this interview, which not everyone gets. We have ours on Feb. 13 in Detroit. What sort of questions do they ask and has anyone had any experiences they can share ? What exactly is the point of this interview? Is there a possibility to get denied at this stage for the permanent residency? Do they ever separate the couple and ask questions?

We are bringing lots of documentation, photo's, proof of joint bank account, etc. but since we've only been marrried since November it's hard to show a lot of history. Any advice very much appreciated, just want to be prepared for 'anything'.

Thank you!(F) (F) (F)

The point of the interview is the same as any adjustment of status interview - to determine if the applicant is genuinely qualified to adjust status, or is trying to evade immigration law. Yes, there is a possibility to get denied. Yes, they do sometimes separate the couple to ask questions (a Stokes interview). Either of these scenarios are much less common with K1's, since there's a presumption that the relationship was vetted (at least to some degree) at the consulate interview.

Unless there are issues in your particular situation, you can probably relax. Most K1 AOS interviews are fairly painless and low stress, and most are approved.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you!(F) (F) (F)

We brought lots of documentation with us too. They did not look at any of it. The interview lasted 5 minutes and my husband was approved on the spot. This does not happen for everyone, but I have seen quite a few people say their interviews lasted 5-15 minutes. They will just ask you basic questions you should be able to answer with no problem, like how you met and your parents names. They will ask the list of questions that you already answered on the I-485, like have you been arrested, are you a terrorist, etc. They may ask to see some of your evidence.

Relax. The interview is really not that bad.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

we had our interview jan 12 it lasted 5 mins.The co asked questions that already been answered on the i-485.Asked my wifes parents name,looked at our marriage pictures and other pictures we brought.He asked my step daughter how she liked school.He aked me if i drank san mig beer in the phils and told me dont drink it in the states because its no good.He then asked if my wife had any questions and told us he look over everything and we would get a letter if he needed anything and if not should get GC in about 10 days.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.