Ironman140

Taxes and the new year

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

You have to file a paper return, since you have to include the required statement. You can go ahead and report any income she received without worry, because there is a huge exemption for income overseas once she met the requirement to live overseas for 18 months or more. Just make a best estimate of her income, in US Dollars. Unless she made lots of money, it really won't matter what you put, it will be all exempted.

I was hoping to E-file. :angry: :angry: Hoped to use the money for AOS. Will take a little longer before we have money :blink::wacko:

don't like the idea of being out of status :bonk:

Timeline

after checking think this link applies better, the other is for those living abroad

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96370,00.html

Edited by Guinness

Filed: Timeline

after checking think this link applies better, the other is for those living abroad

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96370,00.html

Both say the same thing, but mine also applies to the IR-1/CR-1's that have spouses that haven't arrived in the US. I just post the one link. The same information is also in the instructions for filing the various 1040 forms. Check the instruction for "Line 2, Married, filing jointly."

Edited by ☼

Timeline

Both say the same thing, but mine also applies to the IR-1/CR-1's that have spouses that haven't arrived in the US. I just post the one link. The same information is also in the instructions for filing the various 1040 forms. Check the instruction for "Line 2, Married, filing jointly."

your right I just seen the header US and residents aliens abroad.

thanks for the info, it was a great help :thumbs: :thumbs:

Edited by Guinness

Last year I looked into this whole mess. We got married on December 30th, 2010. I filed married filing jointly. I also included the statement that my wife was to be considered as a LPR for the entire tax year. I then had to take her income she earned in Kazakhstan and claim it as income on our taxes. I used the State Department's website to get the official conversion rate from KZT to USD. I included a copy of her income statement from her work. I did all this because it was the best tax result for us. Claiming your wife as a LPR for tax purposes may not be the best for your situation so please read the rules carefully.

Dave

Edited by Dave&Roza

Timeline

Last year I looked into this whole mess. We got married on December 30th, 2010. I filed married filing jointly. I also included the statement that my wife was to be considered as a LPR for the entire tax year. I then had to take her income she earned in Kazakhstan and claim it as income on our taxes. I used the State http://static-forums.visajourney.com/public/style_emoticons/default/good.gifDepartment's website to get the official conversion rate from KZT to USD. I included a copy of her income statement from her work. I did all this because it was the best tax result for us. Claiming your wife as a LPR for tax purposes may not be the best for your situation so please read the rules carefully.

Dave

Thanks

My biggest issue is her over seas income, she had none besides some sick benefits from the Irish Government. which I Have No W-2 or paper work on.

what do I do list her income as Zero on the statement or estimate her sick benefits. then pay taxes on her money or is that money tax free? from the US government

What a mess after the K1 gauntlet we run Now this. I sure will be happy when the Government gets out of our Lives :rofl::bonk::rofl: :rofl:

Filed: Timeline

Thanks

My biggest issue is her over seas income, she had none besides some sick benefits from the Irish Government. which I Have No W-2 or paper work on.

what do I do list her income as Zero on the statement or estimate her sick benefits. then pay taxes on her money or is that money tax free? from the US government

What a mess after the K1 gauntlet we run Now this. I sure will be happy when the Government gets out of our Lives :rofl::bonk::rofl: :rofl:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p525/ar02.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.