5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hey VJ,

I was wondering when I file my taxes for this past year if I could file head of household since I am the only one bringing in money? How does this usually work to where immigrations won't fault me for anything? Thanks

Daniel

Dec. 2009-Was introduced to who is now my wife

Mar. 2010-Started our relationship

July. 2010-She left to return back to Mexico

Nov. 18 2010- Entered US on B1/B2 visa

Jan. 2011-Got engaged

Mar. 5 2011-Got married in South carolina

Mar. 19 2011-Filed I-485, I-130, I-795

Mar. 21 2011- E-notification receiving of all forms

Apr. 1 2011- Went to civil surgeon for form I-693

Apr. 2 2011- Received NOA1 for all forms

Apr. 4 2011- Went back to receive form I-693

Apr. 4 2011- E-notification for a RFE on I-495

Apr. 6 2011- Received biometrics appointment date

Apr. 11 2011- Received RFE via mail.

Apr. 11 2011- Mailed out supporting documents needed for RFE.

Apr. 28 2011- Biometrics appointment in Norfolk, VA

May 10 2011- Received notice in mail for interview

May 21 2011- EAD approved!!

Jun 1 2011- received EAD card in the mail

Jun. 9 2011- Interview date for I-485

Jun. 9 2011- I-130 and I-485 approved!!!!!!!

Jun. 23 2011- Green card production via E-notification!

Probably not but you can file "married filing jointly" even if you are the only one with income. That assumes you are married.

You can only file HOH if:

*You are unmarried or "considered unmarried" on the last day of the year.

*You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.

*A "qualifying person" lived with you in the home for more than half the year (except for temporary absences, such as school). However, if the "qualifying person" is your dependent parent, he or she does not have to live with you.

Edited by nickbits

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Probably not but you can file "married filing jointly" even if you are the only one with income. That assumes you are married.

You can only file HOH if:

*You are unmarried or "considered unmarried" on the last day of the year.

*You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.

*A "qualifying person" lived with you in the home for more than half the year (except for temporary absences, such as school). However, if the "qualifying person" is your dependent parent, he or she does not have to live with you.

Ok, thanks for the info. This is my first time filing taxes while married and its new to me. Just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing.

If your married, why not file as married? Seems you would get a better deduction. Doesn't matter if your spouse is working or not.

Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought I was supposed to do. Since this is the first time I have filed while married, I just wanted to makes sure I was doing it right. I didn't know which one would get the better deductions. Thank you again!

Dec. 2009-Was introduced to who is now my wife

Mar. 2010-Started our relationship

July. 2010-She left to return back to Mexico

Nov. 18 2010- Entered US on B1/B2 visa

Jan. 2011-Got engaged

Mar. 5 2011-Got married in South carolina

Mar. 19 2011-Filed I-485, I-130, I-795

Mar. 21 2011- E-notification receiving of all forms

Apr. 1 2011- Went to civil surgeon for form I-693

Apr. 2 2011- Received NOA1 for all forms

Apr. 4 2011- Went back to receive form I-693

Apr. 4 2011- E-notification for a RFE on I-495

Apr. 6 2011- Received biometrics appointment date

Apr. 11 2011- Received RFE via mail.

Apr. 11 2011- Mailed out supporting documents needed for RFE.

Apr. 28 2011- Biometrics appointment in Norfolk, VA

May 10 2011- Received notice in mail for interview

May 21 2011- EAD approved!!

Jun 1 2011- received EAD card in the mail

Jun. 9 2011- Interview date for I-485

Jun. 9 2011- I-130 and I-485 approved!!!!!!!

Jun. 23 2011- Green card production via E-notification!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Table 4. Who Is a Qualifying Person Qualifying You To File as Head of Household?1

Caution. See the text of this publication for the other requirements you must meet to claim head of household filing status.

IF the person is your . . . AND . . . THEN that person is . . .

qualifying child (such as a son, daughter, or grandchild who lived with you more than half the year and meets certain other tests)2 he or she is single a qualifying person, whether or not you can claim an exemption for the person.

he or she is married and you can claim an exemption for him or her a qualifying person.

he or she is married and you cannot claim an exemption for him or her not a qualifying person.3

qualifying relative4 who is your father or mother you can claim an exemption for him or her5 a qualifying person.6

you cannot claim an exemption for him or her not a qualifying person.

qualifying relative4 other than your father or mother (such as a grandparent, brother, or sister who meets certain tests). he or she lived with you more than half the year, and he or she is related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who do not have to live with you , later, and you can claim an exemption for him or her5 a qualifying person.

he or she did not live with you more than half the year not a qualifying person.

he or she is not related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who do not have to live with you , later, and is your qualifying relative only because he or she lived with you all year as a member of your household not a qualifying person.

you cannot claim an exemption for him or her not a qualifying person.

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.