YetundeAY

Filing for mother-in-law

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I need help and advice about filing for my MIL. I and my husband are expecting our baby this summer and it would be awesome to have her here to help during that time. I am a USC. How do I invite her to come here? What papers do I need to file, if any? What would she have to do in Lagos in terms of embassy and documents she would need? How would she schedule the appointment?

All the help I can get will be very appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Your mother in law needs a visitors visa. She applies for this on her own and must prove to the interviewing officer that she has compelling reasons to return to home after her visit. This usually takes the form of a long term well paying job, real estate holding or children not travelling of an age that require her care. The sucess rate for visitors visas from Nigeria run under 10%. She can schedule online for either Lagos or Abuja for a visitors visa. Once her son becomes a USC he can file an I130 for her to come and live here if her intentions are to spend more than 50% of her time in the USC.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Assuming your wife is a USC then she can certainly file for her to immigrate. There is a guide on this site. She will not be here for the birth however.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Assuming your wife is a USC then she can certainly file for her to immigrate. There is a guide on this site. She will not be here for the birth however.

The Op is asking about her mother-in-law. Even if she is a USC, she cannot petition for her mother-in-law. It would have to be done by her husband if he is USC. Her best bet right now is visitor's visa...and as rightly said, the chances of succes are very slim. She will need to fill out online application, pay $140 to Guarantee Trsust bank and use the receipt # to book and online appointment. get her son to send her and invitation letter and bank statements. is the mother-in-law still has a husband, proof of existing marriage, business in Nigeria or property ownership may be used to prove strong ties to home country( if the CO even gets to look at them).Good luck.

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Timeline

A visitor visa is not appropriate.

He rather than she then.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I do not see why a visitor's visa is Not appropriate for her. It is her choice and desire to visit her son and his family. There is nothing wrong with that. It becomes a problem when the intent turns to being an immigrant while on visitor's visa. Then again why create an opportunity for adjustment of status for such people if it is so wrong or inappropriate?:blink:

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Timeline

it would be awesome to have her here to help during that time.

As above

Timeline

I think the questionable word in "help" Anything resembing babysitter or housekeeper is work and not allowed on a visitors visitors visa.

Timeline

I think the questionable word in "help" Anything resembing babysitter or housekeeper is work and not allowed on a visitors visitors visa.

Okay I'm confused on this one...why can't the MIL help the daughter in law with her grandchild?? I'm pretty sure she would not be getting paid. Having 'help' with a newborn is great so that the parents can catch up on much needed sleep, mom can get "me time", and the parents can do whatever together. In this instance I can see a visitor's visa...unless you are viewing the CO using that as an opportunity to deny because he/she feels the MIL may stay instead of returning home?

Edited by Aya820

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

Timeline

Because immigration tend to be insanely uptight.

Help as in assembling the crib and stocking a nursery is probably ok. Help as in extended care of the home and child while the new parents get back to workor go out is not . At some point they see that grandma is doing the job that some person in the US would be paid if grandma isn't there. At this point it isn't helping it is working illegally ( in exchange for room and board in their theory) That is why extended visiting at the birth of a child is difficult.

Timeline

Too many scammers trying to bring relatives over to provide cheap home care.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

BTW, NigeriaorBust, when I said "help", I didn't mean babysitter or having her work for us. My MIL is nobody like that. Much better off. My MIL has work that she has to take care of in Nigeria and having her come for longer than 3 weeks would be impossible, maybe a month, if we stretch it.

And boiler, there's no one trying to scam anybody here. I plan on spending the rest of the year in Nigeria after I deliver. So I don't need any cheap labor.

It's going to be my first child and my family is scattered all over the US. I've been trying to see if anyone from my side of the family can be there just to show me through the first couple of weeks but that doesn't look feasible.

All I needed was guidiance as to how to possibly try to have her here. I know it could be difficult for her to get the visa but I just wanted to give it a good try. And I wanted to make sure I didn't mess up anything while trying, so I'll know for sure that it's the CO or the Lagos embassy that didn't give her the visa, if they don't. Not that it's something I did wrong or something I didn't do while filing.

Edited by YetundeAY

Timeline

If you are talking about a Visitor Visa, then it has nothing to do with you, all down to her.

You said help, nobody else.

Timeline

Well you have seen how saying she is going to help got a negative reaction on here. It won't be any better at the interview. They may try to trick her into using the word "help" and then deny her for "work intent "

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.