rafnem

Once we get K-1 Fiance(e) Visa

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi,

I newly discovered this website so I did not have enough time to read all the questions about K-1 Fiance(e) visa. Before,my fiance and I decided to apply for spouse visa because we were planning to get married in my country, in Turkey. But after looking through the timelines, we did not want to risk it. So not to wait too much, we decided to apply for K-1 Fiance(e) visa. If everything goes well, I have chance to get my visa in 6-7 months maybe less. My questions are;

- Once you get your visa after your appointment, since you guarantee to get married in 90 days, can we get married in my country in Turkey? since we are planning to have our wedding at the begining of summer in my country or only you can get married in USA?

-If you can only get married in USA, then how many months I cant go back to my country? Is it obligated not to go out of USA for couple months even under urgent/important circumtances?

I appreciate a lot your prompt replies.

Thanks in advance,

Rafnem

A K-1 is to get married in the US, not any other country. If you get married before you enter the country on your K-1 you will be banned for misuse of the visa.

Once you enter the US, marry, and file for your Adjustment of Status, you expect to wait 3 more months for a temporary travel document called Advance Parole.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

A K-1 is to get married in the US, not any other country. If you get married before you enter the country on your K-1 you will be banned for misuse of the visa.

Once you enter the US, marry, and file for your Adjustment of Status, you expect to wait 3 more months for a temporary travel document called Advance Parole.

:thumbs:

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Timeline

I am going through the K1 Process in Turkey. And in best case scenario, ,8 months at least. But count on longer. 8 months is the shortest. Believe it or not, spousal visas can be a lot shorter. And once the visa is granted, the green card is automatic upon entry. And the green card holder can begin working immediately.

However, it is your choice. Both routes have pluses and minuses. I would do a ton of research and read ALL the forums on both options. You should also be sure that you have everything you need before you file. You don't want to risk a Request For Evidence (RFE) and delay your timeline even further.

Good luck, and ask away on this website. The guidance has proven very helpful for most.

Sabrina

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi,

I newly discovered this website so I did not have enough time to read all the questions about K-1 Fiance(e) visa. Before,my fiance and I decided to apply for spouse visa because we were planning to get married in my country, in Turkey. But after looking through the timelines, we did not want to risk it. So not to wait too much, we decided to apply for K-1 Fiance(e) visa. If everything goes well, I have chance to get my visa in 6-7 months maybe less. My questions are;

- Once you get your visa after your appointment, since you guarantee to get married in 90 days, can we get married in my country in Turkey? since we are planning to have our wedding at the begining of summer in my country or only you can get married in USA?

-If you can only get married in USA, then how many months I cant go back to my country? Is it obligated not to go out of USA for couple months even under urgent/important circumtances?

I appreciate a lot your prompt replies.

Thanks in advance,

Rafnem

Yes, you absolutely can get married in Turkey. Then tear up the K-1 visa and file for a spousal visa, wait 9-12 months and come to the US.

K-1s are for FIANCEEs, if you are married you are NOT a Fiancee. You MUST be a Fiancee when you enter the US on a Fiancee visa. The "hint" is in the word "Fiancee"

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You will NOT be banned.

Stop posting incorrect information.

You will not be able to enter the US with it since you'll already be married.

Do more homework and choose wisely!

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.