marlyn24

Registering the marriage to philippine consolate

21 posts in this topic

Hi guys.. Good Morning, Belated Merry Christmas...

I'm just asking about registering marriage to philippine consulate. according to what i read we need to submit or registered our marriage to philippine consulate before the 30 days of marriage. what if we cant submit during that time, what consequence do i need to face it? please let me know what your thought and knowledge about it. coz our deadline probably january 4. too much work and my husband so busy.. thank you in advance..

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Here is a link I found with what appears to be good information, outside of VJ. http://www.manilavisa.com/services-in-the-philippines/marriage-in-the-philippines/

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

My wife and I have been married for 18 months and we just registered the marriage with the Emabassy of the Philippines in Washington, DC. There is no problem or consequence in waiting. The only reason we went is because my wife wanted her filipino passport in her married name, and the Embassy would not do that until we registered the marriage. We were going to my mom's house in Maryland for Thanksgiving, so we spent a day in Washington DC and took care of all of the requirements.

I never heard anything about a 30 day time limit.

My wife and I have been married for 18 months and we just registered the marriage with the Emabassy of the Philippines in Washington, DC. There is no problem or consequence in waiting. The only reason we went is because my wife wanted her filipino passport in her married name, and the Embassy would not do that until we registered the marriage. We were going to my mom's house in Maryland for Thanksgiving, so we spent a day in Washington DC and took care of all of the requirements.

I never heard anything about a 30 day time limit.

thanks for the quick reply.. i read some blog,just need is additional statement why we filed late on our marriage and need notarized. and i thought need attorney to signed it. some of member said its ok in the bank if you have account there sometimes its free to notarized. i just worried coz according to my husband its very expensive to go to attorney for that..i hope in chicago its the same with washington dc.

thanks for the quick reply.. i read some blog,just need is additional statement why we filed late on our marriage and need notarized. and i thought need attorney to signed it. some of member said its ok in the bank if you have account there sometimes its free to notarized. i just worried coz according to my husband its very expensive to go to attorney for that..i hope in chicago its the same with washington dc.

Here is a link to the Filipino consulate in Chicago. It tells you what you need to register your marriage, (three sets of the documents listed). We also had to pay $25 fee.

Filipino Consulate Chicago

^^^ Nonsense.

There is no time limit for reporting your marriage. You don't need an attorney. You don't need anything notarized.

You can read about reporting marriage on the Philippines Embassy/Consulate website.

^^^ Nonsense.

There is no time limit for reporting your marriage. You don't need an attorney. You don't need anything notarized.

You can read about reporting marriage on the Philippines Embassy/Consulate website.

I think she is referring to my blog lol. The PCGNY(NY consulate) states that if the report of marriage is done after 30 days of marriage, a notariZed affidavit is needed.

If application for report is filed more than 30 days after the date of marriage, an original and four (4) photocopies of the Notarized Affidavit of Explanation for delayed registration by the applicants;

I am not sure if this is enforced, I reported mine within 30 days so I did not do this. I am sure you can probably get away with not doing it :)

And if you plan to do it by mail, then you will need things notarized. If you do it in person, then you don't. At least with the NY consulate anyway. It was a pain!!

Methods of Filing and Persons Who Can File the Report

By personal appearance at the Consulate of the reporting spouse. The signature of the non-appearing spouse must be duly notarized in the application form; or

By mail or courier service. The application must still be duly signed by both spouses and also notarized. A self-addressed prepaid Express Mail envelope of the United States Postal Service must be included. Do not use metered stamps or P.O. Box return address.

Edited by Messybrownhair
My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

We waited 3 1/2 years to report our marriage at the Chicago consulate. I think we had our letter explaining why we waited so long notarized since it's free where I work. You don't need a lawyer. Your reason for not filing can be as simple as "we didn't have time to drive to chicago".

Kev n Jena

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

We waited 3 1/2 years to report our marriage at the Chicago consulate. I think we had our letter explaining why we waited so long notarized since it's free where I work. You don't need a lawyer. Your reason for not filing can be as simple as "we didn't have time to drive to chicago".

Kev n Jena

definitely don't need a lawyer lol. had our stuff notarized for free at the bank :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Kev n Jena

Is the notarized letter explaining why waited so long to report the marriage, is that a requirement if you didn't report your marriage right away or what ? Coz we also didn't report our marriage yet, just planning to do that next year same time to renew my passport and have my name change at the New York consulate.

SzIKm4.png
4202e493-922b-4a14-a1b7-438a49a69f71_zps0b740bfd-4829-475c-92b2-ceedfc991843_zps

Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.

I think she is referring to my blog lol. The PCGNY(NY consulate) states that if the report of marriage is done after 30 days of marriage, a notariZed affidavit is needed.

If application for report is filed more than 30 days after the date of marriage, an original and four (4) photocopies of the Notarized Affidavit of Explanation for delayed registration by the applicants;

I am not sure if this is enforced, I reported mine within 30 days so I did not do this. I am sure you can probably get away with not doing it :)

And if you plan to do it by mail, then you will need things notarized. If you do it in person, then you don't. At least with the NY consulate anyway. It was a pain!!

Methods of Filing and Persons Who Can File the Report

By personal appearance at the Consulate of the reporting spouse. The signature of the non-appearing spouse must be duly notarized in the application form; or

By mail or courier service. The application must still be duly signed by both spouses and also notarized. A self-addressed prepaid Express Mail envelope of the United States Postal Service must be included. Do not use metered stamps or P.O. Box return address.

^^^ Thanks Steph... :thumbs: ...I stand corrected.

I didn't see that information on the San Francisco Consulate's website, but I will go back and take another look.

Filed: Timeline

^^^ Thanks Steph... :thumbs: ...I stand corrected.

I didn't see that information on the San Francisco Consulate's website, but I will go back and take another look.

We went to SF a year and eight months after we were married and they didn't bother us for an explanation. The only problem we had was that they wouldn't match the name of the Green Card with her new passport, since we Americanized her first name. We got an Affidavit for One and the Same Person, in case that would be a problem.

Now that she is a USC, the whole day really was a waste of time, and my advice is not to bother with any of it, as we never needed to use her new passport for anything at all. A day and over $100 wasted at the SF Consulate.

We went to SF a year and eight months after we were married and they didn't bother us for an explanation. The only problem we had was that they wouldn't match the name of the Green Card with her new passport, since we Americanized her first name. We got an Affidavit for One and the Same Person, in case that would be a problem.

Now that she is a USC, the whole day really was a waste of time, and my advice is not to bother with any of it, as we never needed to use her new passport for anything at all. A day and over $100 wasted at the SF Consulate.

I think we'll keep the money in our pocket.

Chinook isn't planning on becoming a dual citizen, so we aren't going to report our marriage. The only possible hiccup in our plan is that Chinook's Filipino passport will expire shortly before she becomes a U.S. citizen. However, we have no plans for leaving the country during that time.

How long did it take, from the time she filed for citizenship, for your wife to become a U.S. citizen?

Filed: Timeline

I think we'll keep the money in our pocket.

Chinook isn't planning on becoming a dual citizen, so we aren't going to report our marriage. The only possible hiccup in our plan is that Chinook's Filipino passport will expire shortly before she becomes a U.S. citizen. However, we have no plans for leaving the country during that time.

How long did it take, from the time she filed for citizenship, for your wife to become a U.S. citizen?

We filed in April, and she took her oath in July.

Edited by ☼

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.