roshlioto

K1 and health insurance

40 posts in this topic

Great, so until then If I get sick I'm screwed. My fiancee said that I don't need a SSN for us to get married. I need my passport.

You could (and should) get short term insurance, which is advisable at least for emergency type treatments. There are many providers that will do that. Relatively lower cost for emergency treatments (which include dentist). Considering how much a visit to an emergency room can cost, you might want to have it. Emergency room visits can very fast get to the thousands and even 10s of thousands.....I got my fiancee that kind of coverage for about 150 for a period of 2 months. Because of the wedding plans and when could I add her to my employer insurance, 2 months is what I needed. It's possible to do it for 1 month and even for weeks.

Why don't you get married before the year ends? There might be tax benefits for your spouse.

There are great tax benefits. You will be considered married for the entire year and since you do not have income, there is a great deduction right there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I decided not to get health coverage for my wife because she's young and what could happen. Well a couple of office visits later I was getting prices. It ended up being much cheaper for me to buy her coverage (about $100.00) a month than to add her onto my plan.

As far as the SSAN. You have to start establishing yourself in the USA and should go after every document that they will let you add your name onto. SS,State ID,checking,credit/debit cards,utility bills ect.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My opinion is: Beware this topic in Visajourney! Go to any outside .gov source or an attorney. When someone sends you a link to this topic and it is a Visa Journey link it's too full of opinions by non-professionals to trust. My advice is to do your own research or get an attorney. My experience has been that many people rally in support of individuals and NOT facts: This is a complex topic adressed here without data to back it up. We each have different experiences. This comment will probably get removed but that's my experience.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My opinion is: Beware this topic in Visajourney! Go to any outside .gov source or an attorney. When someone sends you a link to this topic and it is a Visa Journey link it's too full of opinions by non-professionals to trust. My advice is to do your own research or get an attorney. My experience has been that many people rally in support of individuals and NOT facts: This is a complex topic adressed here without data to back it up. We each have different experiences. This comment will probably get removed but that's my experience.

The guides here on VJ are based on FACTS and the INSTRUCTIONS from the USCIS forms. They are not full of opinions and I am not sure I follow the "rally in support of individuals" as far as the guides are concerned. That particular link is a guide to obtaining your SSN, and includes a document from the SSA, not some member's opinion. The other guides here list the forms from the USCIS and the guides are based on the instructions given by the USCIS. It is always advised to seek out the most current forms, fees and instructions from the USCIS website. Many people get through the immigration process with no problems just by following these guides and the USCIS and country consulate specific instructions without ever consulting an attorney, including myself. A lot of times I have seen the non-professional, experienced members here on VJ give better and more accurate advice than had been given by lawyers.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

How to properly belittle yer opinion, then ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Get an attorney to get a SS number?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I purchased Immigrant Health Insurance for two months for my wife and son for the time they were in the US before we got married. It didn't cost all that much.

Do a Google search; there are many legit online companies that do this.

Which company did you use?

K1 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2011-05-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-06-02

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-13

NVC Received : 2011-09-27

NVC Left : 2011-09-29

Packet 3 Received : 2011-10-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2011-10-20

Packet 4 Received : 2011-12-03

Interview Date : 2011-12-19 Approved!!!

Visa Received : 2011-12-28

US Entry : 2012-01-30

Marriage : 2012-02-14 Valentine's Day :)

AOS,EAD,& AP Sent : 2012-03-01

NOA Date : 2012-03-12

AOS Transfer to CSC : 2012-04-02

Bio. Appt. : 2012-04-11

EAD & AP Approved : 2012-04-24

EAD & AP Card Received : 2012-05-03

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Which company did you use?

Short Term Immigrant Health Insurance

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.