roshlioto

K1 and health insurance

40 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Remember, you must go to the SSA office, in person; apply in person.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm confused.

From SSA:

If you do not have permission to work: Lawfully admitted noncitizens can get many benefits and services without a Social Security number. You do not need a number to conduct business with a bank, register for school, apply for educational tests, obtain private health insurance, apply for school lunch programs or apply for subsidized housing. You cannot get a Social Security number for the sole purpose of obtaining a driver’s license.

Government benefits or services: If you do not have permission to work, you may apply for a Social Security number only if:

A federal law requires you to provide your Social Security number to get a particular benefit or service; or

A state or local law requires you to provide your Social Security number to get general assistance benefits that you already have qualified for.

If you need a number to meet these state or local requirements, you must bring us a letter from the government agency. It must be on letterhead stationery (no form letters or photocopies) and:

Specifically identify you as the applicant;

Cite the law requiring you to have a Social Security number;

Indicate that you meet all the agency’s requirements, except having the number; and

Contain an agency contact name and telephone number.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I will not be changing my name. Not yet that is. So if it's only for the name it doesn't matter, does it? What will I gain if I get a SSN right now? Would I be able to get a job? I will still be practically no one until I get my permanent residency and work permit.

but you'll have insurance........why wait?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I can't apply for SSN if there isn't a law that forces me to have one. I'll go tomorrow to their office and ask, but that's what's on their site.

The K1 allows you to get one. Just go and apply.

I purchased Immigrant Health Insurance for two months for my wife and son for the time they were in the US before we got married. It didn't cost all that much.

Do a Google search; there are many legit online companies that do this.

What is the name of that Immigrant health Insurance that you used?

K1 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2011-05-27

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-06-02

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-13

NVC Received : 2011-09-27

NVC Left : 2011-09-29

Packet 3 Received : 2011-10-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2011-10-20

Packet 4 Received : 2011-12-03

Interview Date : 2011-12-19 Approved!!!

Visa Received : 2011-12-28

US Entry : 2012-01-30

Marriage : 2012-02-14 Valentine's Day :)

AOS,EAD,& AP Sent : 2012-03-01

NOA Date : 2012-03-12

AOS Transfer to CSC : 2012-04-02

Bio. Appt. : 2012-04-11

EAD & AP Approved : 2012-04-24

EAD & AP Card Received : 2012-05-03

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I can't apply for SSN if there isn't a law that forces me to have one. I'll go tomorrow to their office and ask, but that's what's on their site.

Read through the SSN guide I posted the link to above. You are eligible and should go apply for your SSN. The guide can clear things up for you and help you be prepared for what to bring. Good luck tomorrow.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It will allow you to be added to your husband´s bank account, etc. It is just easier to have it done already before you start worrying about the other stuff. My husband got his right away, and we were able to take care of all the evidence for AOS right after marrying. I think some banks do not require a ssn to be put on the account, but we found things went more smoothly already having the ssn. It really isn´t that much of a hassle, and as others have said, it is free. Plus once you have your EAD, you will be glad you have your ssn already.

It will allow you to be added to your husband´s bank account, etc. It is just easier to have it done already before you start worrying about the other stuff. My husband got his right away, and we were able to take care of all the evidence for AOS right after marrying. I think some banks do not require a ssn to be put on the account, but we found things went more smoothly already having the ssn. It really isn´t that much of a hassle, and as others have said, it is free. Plus once you have your EAD, you will be glad you have your ssn already.

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Ya, there's one important time tick that I need to push, a bit.

Having a SSN is useful AFTER marriage, as it's yer entry point, an EASY entry point, into other things:

1. getting added to the utilities accounts

2. getting added to the bank accounts

3. getting a credit card in your name

4. getting added to husband's insurance at work.

all important things to do AFTER you get married. If you not have SSN assigned in the window I mentioned in my prior post, you'll have to wait until you have either the EAD or GreenCard in hand, only then can you apply again. For some ppl, that's a 6 month wait - so it's really messy to 'not exist'...

IMO, the SSN for a K-1 visa holder is a 'freebie' - just go and get it, soonish.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I will not be changing my name. Not yet that is. So if it's only for the name it doesn't matter, does it? What will I gain if I get a SSN right now? Would I be able to get a job? I will still be practically no one until I get my permanent residency and work permit.

You need that SSN once you are married so that you can be claimed as an exemption to lower your spouses tax liability.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Social Card, EAD AP and Drivers License you are good to go. Have spouse add you to health insurance immediately after marriage. The medical will pay for part of the AOS medical minus the Civil Surgeon paperwork.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

My wife, when she go her SS card about 5 days after arrival, was stamped "not eligible for work per DHS". Once she got her EAD that notation was taken off.

Now...........chill out. The chances of you getting sick in the next 45 days is pretty slim. Spend some time getting to know each other better.

Go shopping. Go on some local trips and see his world. Get married. Then apply for your AOS, EAD and AP together. You will get your EAD a few weeks later. Then get a job. You do not need to wait until you get your green card. It will all happen pretty quickly.

And I take exception that you are no one until you get a green card. You are you a very important person to your future husband, your family and your friends. Sheeesh.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.