furble

What did you put for No Last name?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

pushbrk, I was editing my post as you were replying. The application is not the only paperwork that's look at. I am not saying that documents don't get separated, but having a cover letter explaining this and the copy of the marriage license, plus (NONE) written on the application makes it highly unlikely they'll be any issues later on. You're right Maria ---- Gonzalez wouldn't get addressed like this, but nor would mail go out like this either: Maria (NONE) Gonzalez. Anyways, the OP can always contact any of the processing offices and see what they'd suggest.

No, you cannot call any of the processing offices and see what they suggest. Suggesting this is possible, demonstrates you know little about it. The only available way to contact USCIS is through what we call the "misinformation line". We call it that for good reason.

While I think it is highly unlikely there would be any problem with (NONE) in a name space, I'm ABSOLUTELY certain there's no problem with ----. I've actually seen reports of a problem using simply None.

Evidently there's some part of "tried and true" and "not my first rodeo" that you are having difficulty understanding.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

My wife doesn't have a Surname. It' pretty normal here (and in other countries too) depending what villiage you come from. She is originally from a very small villiage that qualifies as something you might see on nationl geographic, although you'd never know by looking at her today :)

We also did not and are not going to bother legally changing her name to have my last name in Indonesia. Not worth the effort. Can do later in the U.S. some day after naturalization much easier.

Question is, how do you record this in the fields that refer to her surname on the I-130 and G-325A? Just put "N/A", or "Unknown", or "No Surname". These seem like the best possibilities. What did you do on your forms if this situation applied to you?

My fiance do not send I-129F yet but we have already filled out all the papers. I only have a single name and since a passport requires family name, then my father's first name became my family name. I don't put anything for surname or middle name on these papers and left them blank. Someone suggested me not to put anything on it if we don't have it. I don't think it would be a big problem because the consulate already knew about naming system in Indonesia. I might be wrong though, so I need someone shed a light about this, anyway, specially the beneficiaries from Indonesia.

Edited by Girl from Celebes

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

My fiance do not send I-129F yet but we have already filled out all the papers. I only have a single name and since a passport requires family name, then my father's first name became my family name. I don't put anything for surname or middle name on these papers and left them blank. Someone suggested me not to put anything on it if we don't have it. I don't think it would be a big problem because the consulate already knew about naming system in Indonesia. I might be wrong though, so I need someone shed a light about this, anyway, specially the beneficiaries from Indonesia.

edit: typo

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Timeline

So, you read the answers, yes? Actually, you want to use the name on the passport, so if your passport has a family name, use it on the immigration forms.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

So, you read the answers, yes? Actually, you want to use the name on the passport, so if your passport has a family name, use it on the immigration forms.

I was trying to described to the OP about the situation in Indonesia. I do not have family name in all my legal papers. Only a single name. But, when I applied passport, they put automatically my father's name as my family name- since he has a single name as well- The OP asked about surname and if the surname it means family name, his wife can use her father's name as a family name. I read the other post of the OP that his wife had been in SG before and it means she holds a passport. It shouldn't be a problem for surname since on passport, the immigration office already put the surname or family name on it.

Edited by Girl from Celebes

- Sun Tzu-

-Confucius-

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

pushbrk, I was editing my post as you were replying. The application is not the only paperwork that's look at. I am not saying that documents don't get separated, but having a cover letter explaining this and the copy of the marriage license, plus (NONE) written on the application makes it highly unlikely they'll be any issues later on. You're right Maria ---- Gonzalez wouldn't get addressed like this, but nor would mail go out like this either: Maria (NONE) Gonzalez. Anyways, the OP can always contact any of the processing offices and see what they'd suggest.

How about using 'N/A' instead of '---' ?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

How about using 'N/A' instead of '---' ?

"N/A" doesn't work because that implies that question is not applicable to you, but what your last name is certainly is applicable.

Can we all just agree to stop making this complicated? What pushbrk says makes total sense and he didn't just pull that solution out of nowhere. He knows what he's talking about. While there is lots of misinformation on VJ of late, his responses are not among them. So go with "----".

Timeline

"N/A" doesn't work because that implies that question is not applicable to you, but what your last name is certainly is applicable.

Exactly correct. Never till USCIS an applicable question is not applicable. You're inviting trouble.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

My wife doesn't have a Surname. It' pretty normal here (and in other countries too) depending what villiage you come from. She is originally from a very small villiage that qualifies as something you might see on nationl geographic, although you'd never know by looking at her today :)

We also did not and are not going to bother legally changing her name to have my last name in Indonesia. Not worth the effort. Can do later in the U.S. some day after naturalization much easier.

Question is, how do you record this in the fields that refer to her surname on the I-130 and G-325A? Just put "N/A", or "Unknown", or "No Surname". These seem like the best possibilities. What did you do on your forms if this situation applied to you?

in indonesia basically the "surname" goes only on the passport.

( but there are some situations where folks only have 1 name lol )

On my wifes KTP has Y_____ N________

on her passport it says Y___ N________ S_______

obvously i dint spell out her name So i just list the two word name in other names used

also from speaking to other us folks married to indonesians they said the Uscis/immigration folks understand this situation from folks married to indonesians

Edited by yousufwalton

Filing January 2012.

NOA1 Jan 26 2012

NOA2 March 23 2012 ( expedited )

NVC rec . Apr 6th 2012

AOS bill invoiced Apr 6th 2012

IV bill invoiced APR 20 2012

NVC Complete may 9th 2012

Papers received at embassy in Jakarta May 21 2012

Interview May 22 2012

Visa received May23 2012

POE Dallas/Ft W May 25th 2012

sUgzp7.png

lJjYp7.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.