vacrimefighter

Prenuptial Agreement

128 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I paid dearly for my divorce. But a funny thing happened when those assets which my ex stole from me (yes, it was theft, state sanctioned, but theft nonethless) actually transferred to her account. I realized that it was all just numbers on a screen. I was still me, I still had a roof over my head, I had food in my stomach, I had my friends, and in the end, I was back to where I was financially after a year or so. And I was free of her. That was worth far more than what she got in dollars.

People should do whatever suits them, but to me, there's something poisonous if you go into the relationship with plans for how it should end. No pre-nup for me.

:thumbs:

My Proposal to kristine!!! :)

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-25

I-129F RFE(s): NONE!!!

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-02

Interview Date : 2011-09-01

Interview Result : Approved

Timeline

NoneYa A divorce survivor like myself (LOL) My first marriage of 15 years, I was young and I did not have a prenuptial. Now older and wiser I will surely have something in place.

SO WHAT ABOUT YOU this time around ? Are you planning a prenuptial agreement ?

@vacrimefighter- I will share all my future earnings, we will start businesses together, we will buy houses with her name on them too but I will protect the basics including my 401k and home. I have to. I can't afford to lose that.

A prenup is only one avenue of protection. My first forms of protection is to treat my new wife like a lady, listen to her, take care of her, make her feel wanted and give her opportunity and tie her down with children. That's my plan. I think a woman might complain about a prenup if you don't give her opportunity and give her some skin in the game. I prefer to not put clauses about fidelity or every little thing that will go wrong. I think you need to keep a prenup reasonable or it can be a negative.

Yes, I will have a prenup.

Timeline

Prenuptial agreement is another word for ESTATE PLANNING. Why do we make wills ?

Before getting hitched, couples should sort through issues such as credit card debt, discrepancies in each person's wealth and the possibility of future inheritances.

Couples should also run credit reports on each other.

Timeline

Anyone truly in love should have no problem signing an agreement. "IF" is about love. You can always change your "WILL" and your prenuptial agreements as time goes on.

At least to start with my new relationship, any jointly-acquired or jointly-held property will be deemed to be owned in accordance with the proportion of each party's investment, unless the parties otherwise agree in writing.

@vacrimefighter- I will share all my future earnings, we will start businesses together, we will buy houses with her name on them too but I will protect the basics including my 401k and home. I have to. I can't afford to lose that.

A prenup is only one avenue of protection. My first forms of protection is to treat my new wife like a lady, listen to her, take care of her, make her feel wanted and give her opportunity and tie her down with children. That's my plan. I think a woman might complain about a prenup if you don't give her opportunity and give her some skin in the game. I prefer to not put clauses about fidelity or every little thing that will go wrong. I think you need to keep a prenup reasonable or it can be a negative.

Yes, I will have a prenup.

Timeline

I have been through the divorce trenches :bonk: Estate Planning aka PRENUPTIAL AGREEMENT" just a contract between two people who promise to do the right things !

Some seem to think if you have, want or suggest a pre-nup then your marriage is less about love and more about protecting one's property.

A pre-nup does not have to be about one having a bigger advantage over the other, it's simply a contract that is laid out and agreed to

during a time when the issue of protecting property (both real and personal-present and future) is not an issue.

Better to pay lawyers before a marriage to workout an agreement than to pay them if there is a protracted, nasty, knife wielding, get out the swords, my lawyer is nastier than your lawyer, divorce.

Anyboby who's lost his/her scalp in a divorce or been through a divorce knows how hard it is to get one or both parties to be rational and

reasonable during such an emotional time. A pre-nup is like an insurance policy or a promise to proform, taken out (during the ' I love you so much phase') to ensure that vindictiveness, irrational behavior, and financial sabotage does not become the (during the 'You suck phase') order of the day.

Like auto, home owners and life insurance, a pre-nup is like insurance.

Timeline

A will is a legal document that states what should happen after a person dies

A prenuptial agreement is a legal document that states what should happen is we divorce.

We make wills because it is certain we will die.

Filed: Timeline

A prenup with a third world immigrant would probably be declared null and void based on coercion. In any valid contract, there has to be a "meeting of the minds" and a demonstration of equal capacity, not likely with someone desperate to escape poverty and having a limited understanding of the life in America, and the English language. Next issue, is whether or not the prenup executed in one jurisdiction would be honored by courts in other juridictions, even if not contrary to the best interests of one or both parties.

He said it doesn't sound romantic but I am okay with it.

rofl.gif.

even if he's the one who has everything to lose

That sounds romantic,tongue.gif

Off-Topic2.gif

My fiance and I never discuss such thing. He ALWAYS said," my money is your money too". He had to mentioned that very often because I never asked him for money. When conversation went to Kim Kardashian thing -since this always come up ALMOST on news outlets- he wasn't suprised why the marriage only lasted 72 days. He said -it's his personal opinion- having prenup agreement means plan for a divorce. After all, to each their own, my guess.

Edited by Girl from Celebes

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Timeline

Your contract needs to be in both english and her native language. You must provide her with a separate attorney to review her documents. "without any form of coercion, duress or pressure"

A prenup with a third world immigrant would probably be declared null and void based on coercion. In any valid contract, there has to be a "meeting of the minds" and a demonstration of equal capacity, not likely with someone desperate to escape poverty and having a limited understanding of the life in America, and the English language. Next issue, is whether or not the prenup executed in one jurisdiction would be honored by courts in other juridictions, even if not contrary to the best interests of one or both parties.

Timeline

50% of all marriages fail... Knowing that Staggering Statistic wouldnt you want to protect yourself and your loved one ?

PRENUPTIALS are not for everyone. They are not a solve all agreement. I just know I will sleep much better at knowing my future will be good no matter what happens in life.

rofl.gif.

That sounds romantic,tongue.gif

Off-Topic2.gif

My fiance and I never discuss such thing. He ALWAYS said," my money is your money too". He had to mentioned that very often because I never asked him for money. When conversation went to Kim Kardashian thing -since this always come up ALMOST on news outlets- he wasn't suprised why the marriage only lasted 72 days. He said -it's his personal opinion- having prenup agreement means plan for a divorce. After all, to each their own, my guess.

Timeline

@Crusty... can I respond to your thoughts sir? Yes, they do hold up. They are valid and enforced in the state which are written into the document. You are not coercing anyone to sign unless you throw it at them within 30 days before the wedding. You will need to pay for a lawyer to explain the document to the person signing it or they can wave that right in writing. This is why it is best to get a lawyer to guide you but they are definately 100% enforceable.

Filed: Timeline

Your contract needs to be in both english and her native language. You must provide her with a separate attorney to review her documents. "without any form of coercion, duress or pressure"

If she doesn't sign the prenup, she doesn't get to marry, and she loses her opportunity to escape poverty. Easy case.

Timeline

A postnuptial agreement is a voluntary marriage contract between spouses that is created after their wedding. Many married couples create postnuptial agreements to help resolve issues in their marriage by removing a source of disagreement over finances, assets, inheritances, children, etc.

A prenuptial (or premarital) agreement is "an agreement between prospective spouses made in contemplation of marriage and to be effective upon marriage”. A Prenuptial agreement may deal with a wide variety of issues between prospective spouses including: the rights and obligations of each of the parties in any of the property of either or both of them acquired before the marriage; the rights and obligations of each of the parties in any of the property of either or both of them acquired after the marriage; and the disposition of property upon separation, divorce, or death.

Timeline

In order to show that the agreement was not a result of duress, the agreement must be executed a reasonable amount of time before the marriage. The court will not enforce a prenuptial agreement if it is shown the bride was signing the contract in her wedding dress while the guests are waiting in the Sanctuary.

If she doesn't sign the prenup, she doesn't get to marry, and she loses her opportunity to escape poverty. Easy case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.