vacrimefighter

Prenuptial Agreement

128 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Go back and read HOT TOPIC { Was This A Costly Mistake? Not Even 1 Year Yet!} They were in love for less then 1 year !!!

he was never in love with her... she was hot and that is the only reason he married her

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

First, it seems useless to me unless you have over 1 mil in assets

Second, for us (my wife and I) my company owns most of the assets, not me. I'm really poor on paper.

Darnell; It seems useless to me if you own over a million dollars to have a prenup because you both walk away with $500,000 and can live well. Now a guy who only had $ 50,000 or $ 100,000

would be devistated if he lost half. I think the less you have the more important it is to have a prenup. For the record, I find it funny that everybody who says this have a prenup over 1 million (including Dave Ramsey) has assets over 1 million dollars. They forget what it is like to struggle.

That being said, all of you are inexperienced and unprepared on this topic. None of you know what I know. My ex cost me $ 100,000 in 3 years of marriage and a prenup would have only saved me $ 20,000 of that. She was a manipulative survivor with a beautiful outside but black when opportunities presented themselves.

Know who you are marrying. Ask a million questions and if you see one bad sign before the wedding, call it off.

Timeline

My originally question was how many VJs have prenuptial agreements with their foreign bride or hubby. I am hoping my future bride will be in the USA by Feb 2012, I want to have everything in place.

VJs has been a great site for information.

Timeline

NoneYa A divorce survivor like myself (LOL) My first marriage of 15 years, I was young and I did not have a prenuptial. Now older and wiser I will surely have something in place.

SO WHAT ABOUT YOU this time around ? Are you planning a prenuptial agreement ?

Darnell; It seems useless to me if you own over a million dollars to have a prenup because you both walk away with $500,000 and can live well. Now a guy who only had $ 50,000 or $ 100,000

would be devistated if he lost half. I think the less you have the more important it is to have a prenup. For the record, I find it funny that everybody who says this have a prenup over 1 million (including Dave Ramsey) has assets over 1 million dollars. They forget what it is like to struggle.

That being said, all of you are inexperienced and unprepared on this topic. None of you know what I know. My ex cost me $ 100,000 in 3 years of marriage and a prenup would have only saved me $ 20,000 of that. She was a manipulative survivor with a beautiful outside but black when opportunities presented themselves.

Know who you are marrying. Ask a million questions and if you see one bad sign before the wedding, call it off.

I know now a days it makes a lot of sense to have a prenup. But I cannot get over the above statement. To me this says loud and clear "I care about my stuff and my money more than you." Which in my mind does not fit the definition of love that I know and believe. And so I could never ever even think about doing a prenup. I want to give my all and everything I have to my marriage. And if it doesn't work out and I still have stuff, then I didn't give it my all.

That being said, I know not everyone view love and marriage like I do. So I will never judge anyone that gets one, especially when dealing with legal issues with immigration, second marriages etc. Like I said, from a purely logical point of view it totally makes sense. Marriage is what doesn't make sense.. : p

Best bet is to check with a lawyer to help you write one up I would say. They know what they're doing. And yes, pretty much anything can be on a prenup: cheating, etc. I've even read about ones where there are consequences for the woman gaining too much weight...

:thumbs:

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

Timeline

What if 80% of the savings was from one person?

surely no matter which person in the marriage makes the money it is "joint income" seen as you are a partnership??

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

only its not quite as clear cut as you make out now is it as the guy got a prenup in place but yet his immigrant wife is working to support them both!?!? that is really not a good example to use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imo a prenup is just used by someone who doesnt think the marriage is going to work. a prenup is used in place of actually getting to know someone properly

That's your opinion.

Not many people go into a marriage thinking it'll end in divorce. I sure as hell don't. I'll do everything in my power to make things work.

But, no one can tell the future. No one. My uncle's sister got divorced after 22 years of marriage, and she lost half of her very huge inheritance on top of a broken heart. She didn't see the situation coming.

I know plenty of couples who have done prenups who didn't need to at all. They're together still. I know plenty of couples who did not do prenups. They're still together. Prenups don't determine whether a couple is going to divorce or not. Nor do they say "I don't trust you." At least not to me. But I can see why people might say they do. Personally, I wouldn't get mad if my fiance said "I want to do a prenuptial agreement." ... In the end, I don't really see myself going for one with him. But I also don't have a problem in having the discussion with him. I think that says a lot about our comfort, trust, and faith with each other in talking on a very hard topic.

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. " ~ Louis Pasteur.

Met Online - 01/2010
Met in Person - 12/21/2010

Engaged - 12/31/2010

File - 07/26/2011

NOA1 - 08/02/2011

NOA2 - 12/22/2011 (e-mail notice)
Visa Approved - 03/13/2012

Married - 03/31/2012 <3

*Started the AOS process a bit late cuse I'm a slacker and suck

But, we've had no issues. It's coming along. Interview should

be shortly coming. Married life is great*

jest.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Some seem to think if you have, want or suggest a pre-nup then your marriage is less about love and more about protecting one's property.

A pre-nup does not have to be about one having a bigger advantage over the other, it's simply a contract that is laid out and agreed to

during a time when the issue of protecting property (both real and personal-present and future) is not an issue.

Better to pay lawyers before a marriage to workout an agreement than to pay them if there is a protracted, nasty, knife wielding, get out the swords, my lawyer is nastier than your lawyer, divorce.

Anyboby who's lost his/her scalp in a divorce or been through a divorce knows how hard it is to get one or both parties to be rational and

reasonable during such an emotional time. A pre-nup is like an insurance policy or a promise to proform, taken out (during the ' I love you so much phase') to ensure that vindictiveness, irrational behavior, and financial sabotage does not become the (during the 'You suck phase') order of the day.

Like auto, home owners and life insurance, a pre-nup is like insurance.

Edited by Leatherneck

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Interesting way of putting it good.gif So I'll just say..."What Leatherneck said" lol

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. " ~ Louis Pasteur.

Met Online - 01/2010
Met in Person - 12/21/2010

Engaged - 12/31/2010

File - 07/26/2011

NOA1 - 08/02/2011

NOA2 - 12/22/2011 (e-mail notice)
Visa Approved - 03/13/2012

Married - 03/31/2012 <3

*Started the AOS process a bit late cuse I'm a slacker and suck

But, we've had no issues. It's coming along. Interview should

be shortly coming. Married life is great*

jest.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Some seem to think if you have, want or suggest a pre-nup then your marriage is less about love and more about protecting one's property.

A pre-nup does not have to be about one having a bigger advantage over the other, it's simply a contract that is laid out and agreed to

during a time when the issue of protecting property (both real and personal-present and future) is not an issue.

Better to pay lawyers before a marriage to workout an agreement than to pay them if there is a protracted, nasty, knife wielding, get out the swords, my lawyer is nastier than your lawyer, divorce.

Anyboby who's lost his/her scalp in a divorce or been through a divorce knows how hard it is to get one or both parties to be rational and

reasonable during such an emotional time. A pre-nup is like an insurance policy or a promise to proform, taken out (during the ' I love you so much phase') to ensure that vindictiveness, irrational behavior, and financial sabotage does not become the (during the 'You suck phase') order of the day.

Like auto, home owners and life insurance, a pre-nup is like insurance-you hope you never need it.

Edited by Leatherneck

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

That's your opinion.

Not many people go into a marriage thinking it'll end in divorce. I sure as hell don't. I'll do everything in my power to make things work.

But, no one can tell the future. No one. My uncle's sister got divorced after 22 years of marriage, and she lost half of her very huge inheritance on top of a broken heart. She didn't see the situation coming.

I know plenty of couples who have done prenups who didn't need to at all. They're together still. I know plenty of couples who did not do prenups. They're still together. Prenups don't determine whether a couple is going to divorce or not. Nor do they say "I don't trust you." At least not to me. But I can see why people might say they do. Personally, I wouldn't get mad if my fiance said "I want to do a prenuptial agreement." ... In the end, I don't really see myself going for one with him. But I also don't have a problem in having the discussion with him. I think that says a lot about our comfort, trust, and faith with each other in talking on a very hard topic.

it certainly is my opinion... thats why i said "imo" :)

Unless you have >1 million in assets, why bother?

David and I didn't have anything coming into the marriage, so we never even discussed it. Anything we make while married would be split even if only one of was working because we're married and are entitled to half of everything. We would never consolidate our student loans (in which case we'd both owe on them split down--his are more than mine), but that's about the extent of what we would do/don't do.

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Timeline

Im only starting out this Marriage with 10k and shes bringing 5k of her own money so as it is were about equal so i will not have a prenup no matter the possibility of her leaving in the future.

My Proposal to kristine!!! :)

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-25

I-129F RFE(s): NONE!!!

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-02

Interview Date : 2011-09-01

Interview Result : Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

I paid dearly for my divorce. But a funny thing happened when those assets which my ex stole from me (yes, it was theft, state sanctioned, but theft nonethless) actually transferred to her account. I realized that it was all just numbers on a screen. I was still me, I still had a roof over my head, I had food in my stomach, I had my friends, and in the end, I was back to where I was financially after a year or so. And I was free of her. That was worth far more than what she got in dollars.

People should do whatever suits them, but to me, there's something poisonous if you go into the relationship with plans for how it should end. No pre-nup for me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.