vacrimefighter

Prenuptial Agreement

128 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Go back and read HOT TOPIC { Was This A Costly Mistake? Not Even 1 Year Yet!} They were in love for less then 1 year !!!

I know now a days it makes a lot of sense to have a prenup. But I cannot get over the above statement. To me this says loud and clear "I care about my stuff and my money more than you." Which in my mind does not fit the definition of love that I know and believe. And so I could never ever even think about doing a prenup. I want to give my all and everything I have to my marriage. And if it doesn't work out and I still have stuff, then I didn't give it my all.

That being said, I know not everyone view love and marriage like I do. So I will never judge anyone that gets one, especially when dealing with legal issues with immigration, second marriages etc. Like I said, from a purely logical point of view it totally makes sense. Marriage is what doesn't make sense.. : p

Best bet is to check with a lawyer to help you write one up I would say. They know what they're doing. And yes, pretty much anything can be on a prenup: cheating, etc. I've even read about ones where there are consequences for the woman gaining too much weight...

Timeline

Please go back and read the "HOT TOPIC" {Was This A Costly Mistake? Not Even 1 Year Yet!}

I know now a days it makes a lot of sense to have a prenup. But I cannot get over the above statement. To me this says loud and clear "I care about my stuff and my money more than you." Which in my mind does not fit the definition of love that I know and believe. And so I could never ever even think about doing a prenup. I want to give my all and everything I have to my marriage. And if it doesn't work out and I still have stuff, then I didn't give it my all.

That being said, I know not everyone view love and marriage like I do. So I will never judge anyone that gets one, especially when dealing with legal issues with immigration, second marriages etc. Like I said, from a purely logical point of view it totally makes sense. Marriage is what doesn't make sense.. : p

Best bet is to check with a lawyer to help you write one up I would say. They know what they're doing. And yes, pretty much anything can be on a prenup: cheating, etc. I've even read about ones where there are consequences for the woman gaining too much weight...

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

Please go back and read the "HOT TOPIC" {Was This A Costly Mistake? Not Even 1 Year Yet!}

just beware tho people. my wife has brought up our pre-nup at every arguement and she holds it against me for even thinkin i needed one. but DO get one and dont live in a dang community property state!

Timeline

I GUESS YOU DID NEED ONE - thank god, you were smart enough to protect your assess.

just beware tho people. my wife has brought up our pre-nup at every arguement and she holds it against me for even thinkin i needed one. but DO get one and dont live in a dang community property state!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

I was talking to my mom about this recently. I am young and don't own a house yet, and plan on going back to school to switch careers. However, should anything happen to my parents, my inheritance is huge. Not only that, I know that even though I do not have large assets now, in the future we will.

Prenups protect BOTH parties in the end, if done right.

Anyways, my question, for people who've had prenups done. What price ranges do the lawyers charge to have them done?

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. " ~ Louis Pasteur.

Met Online - 01/2010
Met in Person - 12/21/2010

Engaged - 12/31/2010

File - 07/26/2011

NOA1 - 08/02/2011

NOA2 - 12/22/2011 (e-mail notice)
Visa Approved - 03/13/2012

Married - 03/31/2012 <3

*Started the AOS process a bit late cuse I'm a slacker and suck

But, we've had no issues. It's coming along. Interview should

be shortly coming. Married life is great*

jest.gif

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't pre-nups only protect assets you currently have? What you aquire together in the future is jointly owned (not talking inheritance here that has special considerations)

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't pre-nups only protect assets you currently have? What you aquire together in the future is jointly owned (not talking inheritance here that has special considerations)

I was under the impression it can protect future assets as well, such as income savings. What if 80% of the savings was from one person?

I'm on the fence of the prenups. I never thought of doing one, as I've absolutely no plans to get a divorce. But neither did my uncle's sister, who got a divorce after 22 years of marriage and lost half of her (very large) inheritance to a cheating (ex)husband. My parents are really the ones who brought it up, and I feel obligated to do it for their sake.

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. " ~ Louis Pasteur.

Met Online - 01/2010
Met in Person - 12/21/2010

Engaged - 12/31/2010

File - 07/26/2011

NOA1 - 08/02/2011

NOA2 - 12/22/2011 (e-mail notice)
Visa Approved - 03/13/2012

Married - 03/31/2012 <3

*Started the AOS process a bit late cuse I'm a slacker and suck

But, we've had no issues. It's coming along. Interview should

be shortly coming. Married life is great*

jest.gif

Timeline

Depends on the wording and what you put into your prenups.. "property owned by a party before or after the execution of this Agreement"

or

In the event of the parties separating, or upon the death of a party, any jointly-acquired or jointly-held property will be deemed to be owned in accordance with the proportion of each party's investment, unless the parties otherwise agree in writing.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

First, it seems useless to me unless you have over 1 mil in assets

Second, for us (my wife and I) my company owns most of the assets, not me. I'm really poor on paper.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

szemek, I wish you all the happiness in the WOLRD. I was married for 15 years and been divorced for 10 years. You learn a lot through a divorce. Like the PHOENIX rising through the ashes and rebuilding my life over I know I do not want to ever be in that place again in my life.

If you could walk in my shoes - maybe you would understand protecting your asses.

WISH YOU ONLY HAPPINESS !!!

Thank you VACrimefighter,

Like I said, I understand the protective nature of a prenup. I understand that %50 of marriages end in divorce. I understand there may be other parties involved (children, ex-spouses, etc.) But not matter how many good things come out of a prenup, at it's core it is making plans for what will happen in case of a divorce.

My understanding of love and marriage is exactly what you said. Living up to the vows you say during your wedding. That means living up to my vows and trusting her to live up to hers. I am saying that if neither of us do that, I have entered into this marriage knowing I could lose everything. That is my statement of love for my wife. She now owns everything I am. Is she mistreats that, then I am out of luck because that is how much I love her. I will not let fear of this world (money, security, success) dictate how much I chose to love my wife right now. I do not believe marriage is a decision based on money, security, family or even logic. There are few advantages to being married. It is a decision that should be based on love.

Like I said, this is not every ones view of love and marriage, but that is OK.

Anyway. I believe I have gone quite off topic. I apologize to the OP who is looking for practical advise.

Prenups can protect future assets also...

I was under the impression it can protect future assets as well, such as income savings. What if 80% of the savings was from one person?

I'm on the fence of the prenups. I never thought of doing one, as I've absolutely no plans to get a divorce. But neither did my uncle's sister, who got a divorce after 22 years of marriage and lost half of her (very large) inheritance to a cheating (ex)husband. My parents are really the ones who brought it up, and I feel obligated to do it for their sake.

Timeline

Prenuptial agreements aren't just about protecting current assets; they can protect your future too.

Many people are surprised that retirement accounts are considered marital assets and are typically divided in case of divorce. These contracts can help couples manage their retirement accounts in a fair way.

In a prenuptial agreement, you and your spouse can also decide to keep your retirement assets separate. If you are not working or plan to leave the workforce, you may want to get a prenuptial agreement that would spell out exactly how much your working spouse will contribute to your retirement account.

If the prenuptial agreement is not signed at least 30 days in advance of the wedding, a fiance could claim he or she was pressured to sign the agreement.

In most states, anything you owned before the marriage is separate property as long as you don't actively manage the property.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

There is "NEVER" a plan for divorce and failure when the relationship is good. If you read one of the earlier "HOT" threads, someone is going through this issue after only one year.

Protecting yourself and assets is critical !

only its not quite as clear cut as you make out now is it as the guy got a prenup in place but yet his immigrant wife is working to support them both!?!? that is really not a good example to use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imo a prenup is just used by someone who doesnt think the marriage is going to work. a prenup is used in place of actually getting to know someone properly

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.