nigerwife

Ineligible under Section 221(g)

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

During our registry wedding, the "court photographer" took pictures for the court's records. Perhaps your husband can contact the Registry where you got married to inquire if they have a wedding photo with a copy of your marriage certificate on file. BE READY TO PAY IF THEY DO.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So, how do we overcome this issue of the photos from our wedding???

I got married on June 13th, 2011. We also had an informal vow exchange

at the Registry Office, and we're extremely camera shy :blush:

I've been stressing over the same thing lately

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Timeline

I keep getting an error message when I try to reply to individual comments...so I'll try to answer everyone's questions here and hope you see them.

The first "marriage" came up because he has two children with his ex that we are also petitioning for as he has "custody" of them. We had papers drawn up with a Nigerian attorney that states she is aware of the intentions for them to move with us to the US and that she is in support as well as that my husband has custody of the children. We stated on the petition that he had never been married because there is no legal record of his traditional agreement in Nigeria. As you know, it is a verbal agreement between families. The only reason he even did this from a cultural perspective was to take responsibiity for his children. Honestly, the CO clearly has no understanding of Nigerian customary practices and the legality of the Nigerian Marriage Act.

Regarding the lack of wedding pictures, in my opinion, this is a moot point. It does not prove or disprove anything. I can put on a wedding dress, throw a party and create wedding pictures if they would like....just like anyone else can.

I think that any CO that actually looked at the evidence that my husband brought to the interview would be hard-pressed to say we do not have a legitimate relationship and marriage. I have known my husband for over 20 years. My parents moved to Nigeria when I was in high school. That is when we initially met, as we went to school together. My husband then came to the US for college....and happened to go to college just four hours from where I did. We dated all throughout college back in the 90's. Then life led us both on different paths and he moved back to Nigeria. After my divorce, we reconnected and started dating long-distance. After two years of dating, we got married in Nigeria. I then negotiated a transfer to Nigeria with my employer and moved (with my children from my first marriage). We lived in Nigeria for two years with no intention of moving back to the states. During these years, we had our first child together (born in Nigeria), raised our children together, went on international vacations, had my mother come out for a three month stay, etc. There was an unexpected change with my job (it was relocated to South Africa) and while I was offered the relocation, it wasn't a good option for our large family and instead we decided I should come back to the US for another position. He took "proof" of all of this with him to the interview.....but the CO didn't look at any of it. (She briefly scanned through some photos, that's all.)

But alas, we are all at the mercy of someone else's whim in the end.....

Timeline

During our registry wedding, the "court photographer" took pictures for the court's records. Perhaps your husband can contact the Registry where you got married to inquire if they have a wedding photo with a copy of your marriage certificate on file. BE READY TO PAY IF THEY DO.

I'll have him look into this. Thanks!

Timeline

Wow...I was not aware that he had children from his previous "marriage" and that is how this came up. I truly wish I had some answers for you. You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

I understand that there is no paperwork or marriage certificate involved with a Traditional Marriage in Nigeria, but it was always my thought that even without the "paperwork", a Traditional marriage was something that is highly respected in the Nigerian culture. I have read that some churches will not even marry a couple if they have not had the Traditional ceremony. Maybe I am mistaken.

All due, things happen in God's time. Have faith and keep your head up.

Our CR1 Timeline

04/19/11: I-130 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

04/21/11: Package delivered

04/25/11: NOA1 via text and email; petition routed to VSC

04/27/11: Touched

6/23/11: NOA2 via text and email

6/27/11: NOA2 rec'd in mail

6/29/11: NVC case # assigned

7/1/11: Rec'd I-864 bill via e-mail

7/1/11: Rec'd request for DS-3032 via e-mail

7/2/11: E-mailed DS-3032 to NVC

7/8/11: Rec IV bill via e-mail

7/15/11: Paid I-864 bill

7/30/11: Mailed I-864 package

7/30/11: Paid IV bill

8/2/11: IV bill shows "paid"

8/10/11: Per operator I-864 rec'd and accepted and processed with no RFE

8/12/11: Rec'd packet 3 (DS-230 cover sheet/check list)

10/5/11: Mailed DS-230

10/7/11: DS-230 rec'd by NVC per tracking

10/12/11: Case complete per live operator (just waiting for interview apt now)

12/6/11: Medical complete and in hand...yay

12/12/11: Interview-APPROVED

12/20/11: Visa in hand

5/3/2012: POE

6IwJm4.png

Timeline

Do wish things becomes easy for you guys soon.One feels sick with this kind of outcome.Lagos seems to always REFUSE an applicant everyday.

You still have a second chance..thats the inspiration

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Nigeria
I-129F Sent : 2011-06-08
I-129F NOA1 : 2011-06-17
I-129F RFE(s) : No RFE
RFE Reply(s) : No RFE
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-27
Interview: 2nd Week of January

Immigrant Visa rescheduled for second week of February 2012

Visa Refused on Immigration Purpose February 2013

We Got Married and Filed Spouse Visa

dancin5hr.gif Visa Approved in May 2013dancin5hr.gif

POE was Easy in June 2013

USA Citizen July 2016

Who cares to know how long My Visajourney was???

SSN Arrives on 07/01/2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.