Bad_Daddy

Lowe's pulls ads from TV show about US Muslims

98 posts in this topic

You can't generalize everybody just because they are one religion or another. If you add the total number of muslims in the world... its more than 1.5 billion. Out of that 1.5 billion you have a sect that does indeed go against what Islam is about. Just as you have christians, jews, hindus, etc that also go against their own teaching. If muslims wanted to do harm to everybody... with 1.5 billion of them don't you think they could just do it?

Most of muslims, jews, christians are peaceful caring ppl just wanting to create a life with their families happily and help others.

So i do think this is just wrong of Lowes to pull this add when all this show is trying to do is create some knowledge instead of fear.

I agree too its much better to watch this type of show rather than some crazy reality show that goes against good values and morals.

It does suck that some bad apples can wreck it for the majority here, but nobody here has had a recent lobotomy and it's not just limited to one small sect of Muslims. Try millions...and I mean millions, not just a few hundred or even a few thousand. We don't need a third world mentality in the states that thinks it's ok to gang rape someone and/or lop peoples heads off for screwing someone out of their faith. We don't need women being treated like they are two steps behind a man. I know this isn't the thinking of the majority of Muslims, but it is the thinking of millions of Muslims.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Complaining is anyones right.... sawing off heads and slitting throats gets to be a bit much.

I think one major subject that I don't think can be reconciled is our penchant for lampooning political and religious subjects. In this day and age, nothing is off limits, no matter how much it enrages others. While I think mockery is not good for fostering discourse, the first amendment is practically sacrosanct.

I think one major subject that I don't think can be reconciled is our penchant for lampooning political and religious subjects. In this day and age, nothing is off limits, no matter how much it enrages others. While I think mockery is not good for fostering discourse, the first amendment is practically sacrosanct.

Agree with that. Lowes crossed the line by yanking those commercials and chances are they will be taken to court. How they fair in court is anyone's guess.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

Agree with that. Lowes crossed the line by yanking those commercials and chances are they will be taken to court. How they fair in court is anyone's guess.

What are they going to court on? I dont' see anything in the OP that says anything about that.

I'm sure Lowes knows what is at stake by ending the advertising campaign. They know full well that they make more money off the fundamentalist christian segment. This was a business decision, not a bigoted one. If the show had received through the roof ratings, I think they probably would have sung a different toon in response to the protests.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

It does suck that some bad apples can wreck it for the majority here, but nobody here has had a recent lobotomy and it's not just limited to one small sect of Muslims. Try millions...and I mean millions, not just a few hundred or even a few thousand. We don't need a third world mentality in the states that thinks it's ok to gang rape someone and/or lop peoples heads off for screwing someone out of their faith. We don't need women being treated like they are two steps behind a man. I know this isn't the thinking of the majority of Muslims, but it is the thinking of millions of Muslims.

It's certainly not millions, but it must seem like it considering how there is nothing positive about Muslims in the media. I don't understand how critical thinking escapes so many who never ask why there are so little positive information about 1.5 billion Muslims or about Islam in the western press, and when it does surface, there's a movement to snuff it out. How can anyone get a balanced perspective when negative information, real or manufactured, is acceptable to you?

Timeline

What are they going to court on? I dont' see anything in the OP that says anything about that.

I'm sure Lowes knows what is at stake by ending the advertising campaign. They know full well that they make more money off the fundamentalist christian segment. This was a business decision, not a bigoted one. If the show had received through the roof ratings, I think they probably would have sung a different toon in response to the protests.

It's a poor business decision to bend over for bigots. Business decisions made with your finger to the wind will get you the finger.

Timeline

It's a poor business decision to bend over for bigots. Business decisions made with your finger to the wind will get you the finger.

So in the face of a boycott from a larger segment of your customer base, you whould have stood your ground? Sounds like an even worse business decision to me.

It's certainly not millions, but it must seem like it considering how there is nothing positive about Muslims in the media. I don't understand how critical thinking escapes so many who never ask why there are so little positive information about 1.5 billion Muslims or about Islam in the western press, and when it does surface, there's a movement to snuff it out. How can anyone get a balanced perspective when negative information, real or manufactured, is acceptable to you?

It's not millions? Tell me what the population is of Pakistan, Afghanistan then divide that number by 5 and see what you get. Not only do honor killings happen Turkey, Iraq, Jordan, Palestine, etc...and even here in the states, and more than a few times in Western Europe. Multi culturalism is a giant fail. Just ask the Europeans about how well it's working for them. Now figure in journalist, politicians, writers, etc.. in Western Europe that have body guards and safe rooms in their house for the fact they are on a Islamic hit list.

Maybe if Muslims got rid of their radicals...or at least made an attempt of it then people like myself would feel better about it seeing how moderate Muslims are making an attempt to snuff out the radicals. But it's not happening. When that starts happening let me know please.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

Timeline

It's not millions? Tell me what the population is of Pakistan, Afghanistan then divide that number by 5 and see what you get. Not only do honor killings happen Turkey, Iraq, Jordan, Palestine, etc...and even here in the states, and more than a few times in Western Europe. Multi culturalism is a giant fail. Just ask the Europeans about how well it's working for them. Now figure in journalist, politicians, writers, etc.. in Western Europe that have body guards and safe rooms in their house for the fact they are on a Islamic hit list.

Maybe if Muslims got rid of their radicals...or at least made an attempt of it then people like myself would feel better about it seeing how moderate Muslims are making an attempt to snuff out the radicals. But it's not happening. When that starts happening let me know please.

Now, you're talking crazy. You know nothing about the people of those countries; you only know stereotypes, and that's really all you can discuss. And, Muslims getting rid of "their" radicals? How does that happen? They get all the publicity, so radicalism is encouraged by people like you who pay more attention to them and consider them to be more normal than normal people. If there wasn't such an appetite among the ignorant for news about "radical Islam", it would be as widely discussed as the macarena is today.

Now, you're talking crazy. You know nothing about the people of those countries; you only know stereotypes, and that's really all you can discuss. And, Muslims getting rid of "their" radicals? How does that happen? They get all the publicity, so radicalism is encouraged by people like you who pay more attention to them and consider them to be more normal than normal people. If there wasn't such an appetite among the ignorant for news about "radical Islam", it would be as widely discussed as the macarena is today.

Why do you make me do this? This is one you can't win. Here's what comes up on google search.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/health/jan-june09/pakistan_0406.html

Study Finds Honor Killings a Major Portion of Pakistan's Homicides

One in every five homicides in Pakistan is a so-called "honor killing," according to a new epidemiological study published in the European Journal of Public Health.

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=honor+killings+statistics&oq=honor+killings&aq=5&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=1411l4195l0l15125l14l13l0l0l0l0l870l10202l5-1.12l13l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=d6a6b13212a1ff43&biw=1440&bih=775 <----- honor killings statistics

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=honor+killings+islam&oq=honor+killings+is&aq=0&aqi=g1g-v9&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=47591l48828l4l55737l3l3l2l0l0l0l810l810l6-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=d6a6b13212a1ff43&biw=1440&bih=775 <----- honor killings islam

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=honor+killings+pakistan&oq=honor+killings+pakistan&aq=f&aqi=g1g-v8g-b1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=115334l120119l1l120581l11l10l0l0l0l2l2030l10532l5-1.4.1.2.1l9l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=d6a6b13212a1ff43&biw=1440&bih=775 <----- honor killings pakistan

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=honor+killings+afghanistan&oq=honor+killings+af&aq=0&aqi=g1g-v5g-j1&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=52851l56578l3l61641l11l6l1l0l0l3l756l3675l5-1.4l5l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=d6a6b13212a1ff43&biw=1440&bih=775 <----- honor killings afghanistan

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=honor+killings+in+jordan&oq=honor+killings+&aq=6&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=143051l144557l2l152600l2l2l2l0l0l0l0l0ll1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=d6a6b13212a1ff43&biw=1440&bih=775 <----- honor killings in jordan

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

What percentage of murders in the U.S. are "domestic violence"-related (America's version of the honor killing.)

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

Why do you make me do this? This is one you can't win. Here's what comes up on google search.

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=honor+killings+statistics&oq=honor+killings&aq=5&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=1411l4195l0l15125l14l13l0l0l0l0l870l10202l5-1.12l13l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=d6a6b13212a1ff43&biw=1440&bih=775 <----- honor killings statistics

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=honor+killings+islam&oq=honor+killings+is&aq=0&aqi=g1g-v9&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=47591l48828l4l55737l3l3l2l0l0l0l810l810l6-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=d6a6b13212a1ff43&biw=1440&bih=775 <----- honor killings islam

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=honor+killings+pakistan&oq=honor+killings+pakistan&aq=f&aqi=g1g-v8g-b1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=115334l120119l1l120581l11l10l0l0l0l2l2030l10532l5-1.4.1.2.1l9l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=d6a6b13212a1ff43&biw=1440&bih=775 <----- honor killings pakistan

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=honor+killings+afghanistan&oq=honor+killings+af&aq=0&aqi=g1g-v5g-j1&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=52851l56578l3l61641l11l6l1l0l0l3l756l3675l5-1.4l5l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=d6a6b13212a1ff43&biw=1440&bih=775 <----- honor killings afghanistan

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=honor+killings+in+jordan&oq=honor+killings+&aq=6&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=143051l144557l2l152600l2l2l2l0l0l0l0l0ll1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=d6a6b13212a1ff43&biw=1440&bih=775 <----- honor killings in jordan

What has any of this got to do with an American tv show? The Europeans killed millions in WWII; American homicide rates are pretty high; most of the victims are women and children, so we should ban Christians because there are so many criminals among them?

What percentage of murders in the U.S. are "domestic violence"-related (America's version of the honor killing.)

That's America's problem and we will deal with it on our own time and fashion. In the meantime the Islamic honor killings can stay in Muslim countries and the Muslims there can deal with it.

In the US it's illegal to murder, beat,hit, etc... women, men, kids, whatever and people are punished for those crimes. Now you want to compare how we enforce our laws in regards to domestic violence vs Muslim countries? :rofl: Go for it, but you better pack a lunch. Let me know when you want me to to start posting statistics and real life stories and how the Muslim countries "don't prosecute for these crimes". I can put a dent in this sites bandwidth with those links.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

Timeline

That's America's problem and we will deal with it on our own time and fashion. In the meantime the Islamic honor killings can stay in Muslim countries and the Muslims there can deal with it.

In the US it's illegal to murder, beat,hit, etc... women, men, kids, whatever and people are punished for those crimes. Now you want to compare how we enforce our laws in regards to domestic violence vs Muslim countries? :rofl: Go for it, but you better pack a lunch. Let me know when you want me to to start posting statistics and real life stories and how the Muslim countries "don't prosecute for these crimes". I can put a dent in this sites bandwidth with those links.

There are 53 Muslim countries on the planet. Have at it.

There are 53 Muslim countries on the planet. Have at it.

Let's start with a recent story that's been in the news lately. :)

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/rape-victim-may-have-to-marry-attacker/story-e6frfku0-1226211888058

Rape victim may have to marry attacker

AFGHAN President Hamid Karzai has ordered the release of a woman who was jailed for adultery after being raped - but she now faces having to marry her attacker.

The move came after some 5000 people signed a petition for the release of the woman, named Gulnaz, who has served two years in prison after a relative raped her at her home.

She has been raising the child she had by her attacker in a prison cell in Kabul.

The case again highlights the poor state of women's rights in Afghanistan, 10 years after a US-led invasion ousted the Taliban who were notorious for their harsh laws against women.

Elsewhere in Afghanistan today, it emerged that a teenage girl and her family were sprayed with acid after apparently rejecting a marriage proposal for her.

Following the outcry over Gulnaz's case, Mr Karzai called a meeting where judicial officials decided to pardon her, presidential spokesman Aimal Faizi said today.

But the officials also said that Gulnaz should marry the man who attacked her, due to fears she could be in danger if released because of the stigma surrounding her attack in ultra-conservative Afghanistan.

She consented to the union, Mr Faizi said.

"She agreed to the marriage but only if his (the attacker's) sister marries Gulnaz's brother," the spokesman said, explaining that this was a way to try to ensure Gulnaz was not attacked by the man in future.

Mr Faizi insisted that her release from prison was not dependent on her agreeing to marry the attacker.

Violence against women in Afghanistan appears to be increasing rather than decreasing, despite billions of dollars of international aid that has poured into the country during the decade-long war.

The Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission logged 1026 cases of violence against women in the second quarter of 2011 compared with 2700 cases for the whole of 2010.

Some 87 per cent of Afghan women report having experienced physical, sexual or psychological violence or forced marriage, according to figures quoted in an October report by the charity Oxfam.

Last week, the United Nations said that a landmark law aiming to protect women against violence in Afghanistan had only been used to prosecute just more than 100 cases since being enacted two years ago.

In the acid attack, a 17-year-old girl called Mumtaz was seriously injured when caustic liquid was sprayed on her face by masked gunmen who broke into her home in the northern city of Kunduz on Monday, her father said.

Her mother and four sisters also suffered burns in the attack after they were splashed with the acid aimed at Mumtaz, Sultan Mohammad said.

"It was midnight," Mr Mohammad said from his hospital bed.

"They entered my home by force, they started beating me and put me in a big bag. They moved in and started beating my wife and daughters and before leaving, they sprayed acid on my daughter's face."

Mumtaz, who is hardly able to speak and is also still in hospital, said: "First they beat me, they beat my mother and sisters and then they threw acid on my face."

Mr Mohammad blamed a former militia commander who had proposed marriage to Mumtaz but was rejected by the family.

"A man asked for her hand. We rejected (him) and our daughter was engaged to someone else. I suspect that man might be behind this," he said.

The attackers fled the scene before the police arrived.

Afghan Interior Minister Bismullah Mohammadi has "personally ordered" police to investigate and "administer justice to those responsible", his office said.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg