Hilbill

Refused CA drivers license

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Homeland Security has made lots of new rules on Drivers Licenses and immigration. The license is the closest thing the US has as an national ID card. Most LE in Ca are not up to speed on this unless they are strictly working traffic enforcement, FYI the tickets are expensive but can be dismissed if you show up with a DL at court.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Many new Californians have experienced the same, you are not alone. I had to wait several months until I could finally get a driver license. With your foreign license you're allowed to drive only for 10 days upon moving to California.

In any event, even if your fiance had received a license now, it would have expired at the same time of the I-94: in less than 3 months. To get a 5-year license, he will have to wait at least until he receives his EAD.

I think as soon as your file for AOS and have your I797, apply for the DL, it will expire in one year when the I797 expires.

No, that doesn't work. an application for AOS could always be denied, then won't give you a license based on that.

Timeline

Hil,

technically he's not a resident until your AOS will be approved (btw It doesn't take years don't worry :)). If everything goes smooth the average time for K-1s AOS filers is around 2 months and something. Anyway since he's not a resident at all he should still be allowed to drive up to 90 days

For DMV purposes, a person living in California is a resident and needs a California driver license, regardless of his or her immigration status. Some people have argued their non-resident status, and have lost.

We just purchased another vehicle for him to drive around as our public transportation system is atrocious where I live. Now I have to be his chauffeur until he gets his AOS which can take months to years!! Makes no sense!

Has anybody else experienced this? What can be done? The DMV guy kept saying something about having an extension on the visa but I am pretty sure that is not a possibility for the k-1 visa. I thought about waiting for our NOA1 from our AOS and taking that to our UCSIS office and asking them to give us something so that he can get his license.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Well, more than half the state is driving around with no valid license, so whats one more?

Filed: Other Timeline

I don't want to get in a p*ssing match with people, but I'd like to confirm that I stand by what I stated in my original post.

Once cannot become legally a resident of California before he becomes a resident of the United States of America. Federal law trumps state law. No way to become a brain surgeon without having an M.D.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Guess which law applies to DL's?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

When I applied for a drivers license I didn't have an SSN either, but they just stated "Needs SSN" on my writing test permit. When I took the test though they said they couldn't give me a driving test permit because I needed my SSN. So you can apply and take the written, but you need the SSN still to take the behind the wheel.

Not in California. They verify your SSN before they even let you take the written test. No SSN, no written test.

People, DMV rules are different in different states. Just because something worked for you in Virginia or Illinois (or any other state), it doesn't mean that the same will work in California so stop giving advice if you applied for DL in a state other than CA and you don't know rules in CA.

Edited by missicy

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Not in California. They verify your SSN before they even let you take the written test. No SSN, no written test.

People, DMV rules are different in different states. Just because something worked for you in Virginia or Illinois (or any other state), it doesn't mean that the same will work in California so stop giving advice if you applied for DL in a state other than CA and you don't know rules in CA.

The commenter you are replying to IS in California, so obviously some DMVs in California do allow a written test without a social.

DMVs are notorious for not following the same rules even within a state because the rules are ever-changing and the employees are not always up to date. I don't think anyone is saying that what worked for them in one state will necessarily work in California, they are stating that in X state X law applied, so that maybe the OP might have some things to look into. Hopefully the OP is looking at the rules on the California DMV website and printing them out if necessary and not simply taking advice online from anyone either in OR out of California without verifying the information.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

The commenter you are replying to IS in California, so obviously some DMVs in California do allow a written test without a social.

DMVs are notorious for not following the same rules even within a state because the rules are ever-changing and the employees are not always up to date. I don't think anyone is saying that what worked for them in one state will necessarily work in California, they are stating that in X state X law applied, so that maybe the OP might have some things to look into. Hopefully the OP is looking at the rules on the California DMV website and printing them out if necessary and not simply taking advice online from anyone either in OR out of California without verifying the information.

When I took the written test, the DMV requested proof of my legal status (they were ok with the EAD, but the AOS I-797 was not enough). After that, I was admitted to the the behind-the-wheel test exclusively on the written test results and the temporary driving permit, no need to prove again my legal status. They wouldn't even let me take the written test pending my AOS approval.

It's interesting how things vary from state to state and location to location. I truly think all employees are not up to date on all the rules or are just unfamiliar and uncertain what to do in some cases. In my state there is more confusion because they CAN issue you a license with the 797 + EAD but they don't HAVE to, it's at their discretion. Hard for anyone (in any state!) to know what to do with so many conflicting accounts!

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.