Hilbill

Refused CA drivers license

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So, My husband and I went to go get his license in November to which we were informed that he cannot get one until he receives his SSN. We had already requested the SSN we were just waiting to actually get it. So we went yesterday with the SSN and were informed that he cannot get one because it is not more than 60 days until his visa expires!! What the heck! He entered in 10/15 and we went the next week to get his SSN to which we were informed that he will not get it until he is here for 30 days. So even if we got the SSN within 30 days (which we didn't by the way, we had to go in again to request it) we would have to immediately go to the DMV to get his license.

We just purchased another vehicle for him to drive around as our public transportation system is atrocious where I live. Now I have to be his chauffeur until he gets his AOS which can take months to years!! Makes no sense!

Has anybody else experienced this? What can be done? The DMV guy kept saying something about having an extension on the visa but I am pretty sure that is not a possibility for the k-1 visa. I thought about waiting for our NOA1 from our AOS and taking that to our UCSIS office and asking them to give us something so that he can get his license.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

In CO I could drive on my UK DL, I needed EAD to get my US DL.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

I am in the same situation with my license. In California they recognize the EAC as a proof or permanent residence and it usually is sent out before the green card, so I will return to DMV with that when I get it. In a mean while I have been driving with my european license since it seamed like no one at DMV knew what the rules really are (even though I think the info you got is right). And who really knows if I´m still a visitor or not, in worst case they might deny my application. Officially I am not a permanent resident yet since I couldn´t even change my social security card on my married name because I didn´t have enough proof of being a resident. We are in the grey area here...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You have something like 10 days after taking residence in CA to convert your licience ( or stop using your old one ) an older VJ member got stopped right after marrying on a K1 and got a rather expensive ticket.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Hank_AMY

It states below about the 60 day limit on the I-94.

Examples of other acceptable birth date/legal presence documents are: U.S. Birth Certificate, Proof of Indian Blood Degree, U.S. Passport, U.S. Armed Forces ID Cards, Certificate of Naturalization, Permanent Resident Card, or a foreign passport or Mexican Border Crossing Card with a valid I-94. The I-94 expiration date must be more than 2 months from the DL/ID card application date. A complete list of birth date/ legal presence documents is available online at www.dmv.ca.gov or in the Fast Fact brochure Birth Date and Legal Presence Requirements (FFDL 05).

When my son moved here we had the same problem of requiring 60 days validity on the doc we presented - we even went to two different offices to see if the second one would see things differently - they didn't! They do enforce the 60 day rule (see the second section from their website below - they apply this to all immigration legal presence docs!)

Here is the piece you need to see about getting a CADL: (qualifying presence docs for aliens) http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#BDLP

Birth date verification and legal presence requirements

The issue of identification reliability, integrity, and confidentiality is of prime concern to all citizens. Eligibility for government services, issuance of various licenses, assessment of taxes, the right to vote, etc., are all determined through evaluations based on identification documents. It is critical that identification documents be authenticated and accurate in identifying each individual. The California driver license and ID card have been declared as primary identification documents in this state by the California legislature.

State law requires every applicant for an original California identification (ID) card and driver license to show verification of birth date and proof of legal presence within the United States to help safeguard the accuracy and integrity of departmental documents.

If your current name no longer matches the name on your birth date/legal presence document, see "True Full Name" and "How to Change Your Name" for more information.

Only the original or a certified copy of one of the following documents is acceptable:

• US Birth Certificate (certified copy from state or local vital statistics office)
  • US Certificate of Birth Abroad or Report of Birth Abroad
  • Federal Proof of Indian Blood Degree
  • USCIS American Indian Card
  • Birth Certificate or passport issued from a US Territory
  • US Passport or US Passport Card
  • US Military Identification Cards (Active or reserve duty, dependent of a military member, retired member, discharged from service, medical/religious personnel)
  • Common Access Card (only if designated as Active military or Active Reserve or Active Selected Reserve)
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Northern Mariana Card
  • USCIS US Citizen ID Card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Temporary Resident Identification Card
  • Canadian Passport/Birth Certificate
  • Non-resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card
  • Valid foreign passport with a valid Record of Arrival/Departure (form I-94)
  • "Processed for I-551" stamped in a valid foreign passport

Limited Term Legal Presence

All original and pending driver license or identification cards will expire on the expiration date of his/her birth date and legal presence document (BD/LP) issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

Your BD/LP document must have an expiration date 30 or more days from your application date. If your BD/LP document has an expiration date less than 30 days, you will not be able to start a driver license or identification card application.

If your BD/LP document has an expiration date of less than 60 days, you may complete your licensing requirements (written/vision/driving tests), but you will need to submit another BD/LP document with an expiration date of 60 days or more before your driver license or identification card is mailed to you.

Before your limited term driver license expires, the department will mail out an “extension” letter with instructions on how to complete your application for a driver license.

If your current name no longer matches the name on your birth date/legal presence document, see "True Full Name" and "How to Change Your Name" for more information.

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Timeline

But the dilema I have is we went in within the alotted time frame of the 60 days and they would not give us one without the SSN in which from my original post we could not get until he was here for 30 days. GRGH! The DMV originally gave us wrong information. Of course!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

He can drive on his UK license for 90 days but that is only if he is a visitor. Now that he has a residence here he is not allowed to.

Hil,

technically he's not a resident until your AOS will be approved (btw It doesn't take years don't worry :)). If everything goes smooth the average time for K-1s AOS filers is around 2 months and something. Anyway since he's not a resident at all he should still be allowed to drive up to 90 days

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

But the dilema I have is we went in within the alotted time frame of the 60 days and they would not give us one without the SSN in which from my original post we could not get until he was here for 30 days. GRGH! The DMV originally gave us wrong information. Of course!

Not much point, it would have only run until the K1 expired anyway.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.