darcness

Immigrating and mental illness

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm fairly concerned after reading over some things here about immigration and mental illness. It's rather concerned to me because of a couple things which I'll explain. Please any suggestions or help would be wonderful.

Firstly my fiance is from Canada. She has had a history of mental illness, but only mild depression and anxiety. She has all the proper paperwork from her doctors showing the diagnoses. Also she has been actively treating this for a long time now. She's never been institutionalized for it, and has never had any form of psychosis or self harm/harm of others. She's been working with a psychiatrist, a therapist, and even did some programs at the hospital in Toronto for mental well being.

Here's the catch that I think might really screw us up. She was/is on disability through her former employer. She will be off the disability this month (the 21st). She's kept up with all of her care through this, but I'm concerned that they might see this as something that could be a red flag.

It's like just when I think we're ok, one more thing to stress about. And we haven't even started yet! :o

May 2009: Started talking on a forum online

June 2010: Met in person in Toronto Canada

April 2011: Proposed in Toronto (she accepted!)

September 2011: Last entry into the US (Michigan)

November 2011: Married in Michigan

6/26/12 Sent in I-130 and I-485 packets to Chicago Lock Box

6/27/12 Package delivered to Lock Box (FedEx tracking confirms)

7/02/12 NOA1 email and text message

7/03/12 Checks cashed for I-130 and I-485

7/06/12 Hard copy for NOA1's

7/09/12 Hard copy notice for biometrics on 7/30/12

7/30/12 Biometrics done (Detroit)

8/20/12 Hard copy for interview date on 9/18/12

9/18/12 Interview Date

10/31/12 EAD/AP card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I can't speak with a whole lot of authority on this matter but I certainly have read other forum posts as you have. I think there are a few dependent factors here. As you say she has never self harmed- that's a good start. She has all of the medical information to hand, that's really important too, as much information as possible to show she is no threat to herself or to others (which obviously she is not). Equally their concern might be that she might become dependent on the State, so your income MAY factor (feel free to step in and correct me other VJers). What I mean to say is that if you are over the poverty line and able to support her and yourself well perhaps they'll not look quite so closely into this? You say she comes off disability on the 21st, I assume she will be going back into work. Perhaps hold off filing until she has an employment position again for you to fill in on the forms? From what I can tell vis a vis the beneficiarys income and so on, they do not delve too far into this, it is really all about the petitioner (again, correct if I am wrong, and I m sure some kindly VJer will!). The time it take to process your application varies service centre to service centre so all being well before she hands in her packet three with all of HER information in it she'll have been a good few months in solid employment. Four/five months down the line this may all look far rosier to you. Just time things and plan well, be open and honest and ensure you get as much medical information as possible. Surely if she has been/is treated and has fulfilled their other criteria I m sure this hurdle is easily surmountable. Perhaps at the medical stage they'll just ask her to go for a psychiatric review or something? Don't lose faith so early on, just research other members experiences here and remember there are likly others who've been in the same position and managed to navigate their way through the system honestly and successfully. Good luck with your journey :) And yes, it can feel like stopping and starting and new things to stress about, I think that's the same for everyone, just hang on in there ;)

Edited by qwerty1974

Timeline

Thanks so much qwerty!

Just for reference she is here in the US right now. We decided to get married while she was here on a visit so we are going to do everything from inside the US. I had a post about this as well if you need all the background information. We DID NOT come into the country with intent to marry and then stay. It just happened that way. Figured I would elaborate because I know we need to keep things lawful here.

She does have all the relevant medical forms, and could easily get notarized documents from her treating physicians I'm sure. They all loved her, lol. Thankfully she already is really good at keeping all these records and such. If it was me we'd be in a world of hurt. I can't ever seem to hang on to any of that stuff. I'll have to thank her for that.

She plans to work here after she gets her EAD. I don't know if that would necessarily help at that point, but perhaps it would. Obviously she can't work before that, so that would be impossible otherwise (her getting employed I mean).

When it comes to my income, I make well above the required limits so I would be ok on that. Also I've had the same job for 10 years and there's always a chance that by the time all this goes through I could be promoted and making more yearly income. I suppose anything would help. Plus she has money saved and now in a US bank account for us to supplement my income.

9/18/12 Interview Date

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Try not to stress too much about it, though I know that's easier said than done. I think we all have our worries, 'will this fall short of the mark, will that raise a flag?' For me its removing my children to another country and all the documents needed for That! It's a quagmire and I'm sure we'll all somehow negotiate our ways through it, we have to! Besides, as you've said, your fiance is lovely and also well organised as a bonus (yes, you really Should thank her for that!!). I m not an immigration official but I find it hard to believe that something like depression or anxiety when not accompanied by erratic or threatening (to self and others) behaviour, would alone lead them to refuse. You just have to look at the world we live in to see how commonplace AND reasonable those conditions are and that they ought not be stigmatised in any way. I wish you the very best of luck with the rest of your journey. Just keep informed but remember, great as these forums are, you sometimes need to know when to take a break from them. For every two times that reading them has helped me, there's always that one accompanying renegade time where I ve allowed myself to get 'visabrain' and worried myself on account of the experience of others. Each journey is different, hold yours apart from everyone elses. I think it's one thing to take advice but you can get overloaded easily too. Late night panics after reading something that wasn't actually relevant to me used to be my speciality!!

Edited by qwerty1974

Timeline

Ahh yes, qwerty, you know what I speak of all too well!

I do love these forums though. Great people here and you guys/gals always know how to make me rest a little easier and get a laugh! :thumbs:

9/18/12 Interview Date

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.