23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thank you so much for the help! I'm always so confused and so scared to don't mess up something when I work on papers... I'm gonna ask one last question - do I need new Social Security Card (I have one from previous visit) or it comes after the GC?

Your previous SSN is fine. I would take your GC to the SSA when you get it to have it updated though to LPR.

Does it presently say "valid with DHS authorization" on it?

Ah given that information I would double check with your county whether you have actually changed your name. Some states require you to advise them that you want your name changed and they write that on your marriage certificate. My state has a section for name before and name after marriage. Failure to write my married name in the "name after" section would mean I wouldn't be able to change my name via marriage.

Then you don't tell someone WRONG before check it out. Every state has different law.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Consult an immigration lawyer in your state to make sure which step you do first. Don't listen and fill the application based on "i-think-i-know-everything" person then later got a RFE for "who the heck is this person?". Don't risk your time and effort.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Then you don't tell someone WRONG before check it out. Every state has different law.

No. You are STILL wrong. You said:

You have to request to change the last name with your local court, social security office... You need your certified marriage license to do so... Once you finish the name change request, then you can fill your AOS paper with new name.

There is NO requirement in ANY state to change it with the local court. There is NO requirement to change it at the SSA prior to AOSing. There is NO requirement for a name change request.

The ONLY thing I clarified was what kind of marriage certificate has dictates what they can do. The OP's explanation was confusing. I sought clarification. I checked the state requirements. Their situation is completely normal.

Timeline

Consult an immigration lawyer in your state to make sure which step you do first. Don't listen and fill the application based on "i-think-i-know-everything" person then later got a RFE for "who the heck is this person?". Don't risk your time and effort.

Actually about this I DO know. There is NO NEED to see an immigration lawyer for something as simple as a name change. USCIS will NOT issue an RFE for "who the heck is this person" for several reasons.

1. The marriage certificate

2. Their alien number on the form

3. Their maiden name in "other names used"

4. The photocopy of their K1 visa

5. The photocopy of the NOA2 from their K1

6. The photocopy of the bio page of their passport

7. The photocopy of their birth certificate.

If USCIS is confused they will RFE for proof of the name change, which for taking the last name of her husband is highly highly unlikely. The OP is sending their marriage cert which lists their husbands last name. Law permits a name change thanks to marriage to the last name of the spouse. Hyphenating or two last names. Law also permits a name change thanks to divorce.

Yes, my SSC says valid for work only with DHS and specific DHS Number...

Excellent. You can if you like try and go and have your status on the SSA system changed to a K1 but I don't really see the point. I would go after you are married to change the last name (if you haven't already) or you can just do like I did and wait till after you have your GC so you can change your name and have the DHS authorization part removed :)

In order to change your name you must fill in the AOS forms with your new name. That way you get your green card and EAD with your new name. It's normal that your maiden name is on the marriage certificate. We got married in Missouri, and I have my old name on the marriage certificate.

If you already have a SSC with your old name on it you can change your card when you have your EAD. That's what I did! Hope that helps and good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Maybe I'm going to be redundant with some of the posts prior to this one, but this was my experience:

-Sent papers for AOS with new married name and sent my certified marriage certificate with my papers to proof I had married a man with my new last name. No where did it state on my marriage certificate what name I was to chose to use after my marriage.

-I went to the SSN office to change my name, but my I-94 was expired (He said the system wouldn't let him change it). The official explained to me that I COULD of changed my name with no problem if I had any other legal paper from the US without this being expired -thus the "out of status" between the end of the 3 months and AOS-, so he said to just take my EAD when I had it and he would gladly change my name on my SSN to my married name with no problem.

I'm in Texas.

K1 VISA
01/07/2011-> Packet Sent.
01/12/2011-> NOA1
05/11/2011-> NOA2
05/19/2011-> NVC Receives we have our No.
05/20/2011-> Case sent to the Consulate.
05/25/2011-> Consulate Received Package.
05/28/2011-> Received Packet 4 with my Interview Letter.
06/01/2011-> Medical Exam.
07/14/2011-> Interview at 8:00 am. APPROVED!!!
07/18/2011-> Pick up Visa at the Embassy.
08/03/2011-> P.O.E.
10/15/2011-> MARRIED!

AOS

11/07/2011-> AOS Packet Sent.

11/10/2011-> NOA Date According email & online status.

11/19/2011-> Hard Copies & Biometrics App. Letter.

11/23/2011-> Biometrics Walk In. (Original App. 12/06/2011)

02/07/2012-> AOS transferred to CSC.

02/17/2012-> EAD Card Received in Mail.

05/04/2012-> Green Card Production Ordered.

05/10/2012-> Green Card and Welcome Letter Received.
ROC

02/03/2014-> ROC Packet Sent.

02/10/2014-> NOA1 Date according to Hard Copy.

03/11/2014-> Biometrics Date.

08/01/2014-> Approved (Letter Rcvd. 08/07/14)

08/14/2014-> 10 Year Green Card Received.

N-400

11/02/2015-> N-400 Packet Sent.

11/04/2015-> N-400 Packet Delivdered.

11/05/2015-> NOA1 Date according to Hard Copy.

12/01/2015-> Biometrics Date.

04/07/2016-> Civics Exam and Interview (Rescheduled from 03/01) PASSED!

04/27/2016-> Oath. I am a US Citizen. This is how this journey ends!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.