micmac

What do you say when Americans tell you they are Scottish?

87 posts in this topic

People around here don't understand when I tell them my husband is from Northern Ireland. People are so used to identifying themselves with their roots that they don't seem to understand there really ARE people out there who ARE, at present, English or Scottish or Irish........

A long time ago, I started telling them he was BORN in Northern Ireland.

Interesting topic. I just had this conversation with my mother the other day. I had been finding it very strange that lately, when somebody found out my fiance was from Scotland, they'd respond with a HORRIBLE Scottish accent - or - say they were Scottish. It wasn't bothering me - but it made me ponder why people would claim to be Scottish if they didn't even know the relatives that were from there (oftentimes they were so many generations back they weren't alive at the same time). I don't claim to be English even though my father and his parents and so on are from England (I'm first generation here) and I was exposed to the culture/language (watered down, of course) growing up. I always say I'm American when asked. If questioned further, of course I would say English and American (my mom is from the south).

But, after reading this, it gives me an understanding for what people mean/are doing. Interesting!

I still think it's annoying though. :lol:

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I've heard Americans say that so many times. I think it is a bit silly. My grandmother was actually Canadian, but I don't go around saying that I'm Scottish/Canadian at all... I understand that the US is a nation of immigrants, but saying "I am Scottish" just because your great-grandfather or even grandfather was is simply not true... I can appreciate that many Americans are proud of their ancestors. Actually I think they just WANT intensely to be regarded as Scottish, as they love the culture so much, so I will take it as a compliment. I've found that when I turn up at Scottish heritage events and mention where I am from, some people are mildly irritated and I swear they're jealous because I'm the real deal!

I work in a shop, and not a day goes by that someone does not ask me where I'm from, or the more blunt question "Are you English?". I was born and raised in Scotland by Scottish parents and I have maintained my Scottish accent. I don't mind people asking me where I'm from, and I usually get nice compliments on my accent. However I find it amusing that in this cosmopolitan country, I am regarded as a novelty because I'm foreign.

Ten times more irritating than claiming to be Scottish/Irish, etc. is when Americans refer to the whole of the United Kingdom as 'England'. This is obviously wrong to anyone who ever glanced at a map of the UK... I've had to explain this to quite a few people. One guy at work just did not understand that Scotland is a different place than England (or Wales or Northern Ireland for that matter). People tend to say "So, in England do you...?" I answer that I don't know what they do in England, as *shouts* I am from Scotland! Apologies to Americans reading this post - I know you're not all like this! And in any case I had the same problem when I lived in France, as was forever being called 'anglaise'...

Anyway, rant over. This is bringing out the Scottish Nationalist in me.

Filed I129F: 18th February 2009

NOA 1: 24th February 2009

NOA 2: 10th July 2009

Received Packet 3: 28th July 2009

Packet 3 sent to London embassy: 5th August 2009

Medical: 7th August 2009

K1 Interview: September 2009

Visa received: September 2009

Moved to USA: 19th October 2009

Married: 23rd October 2009

Green Card received: March 2010

I am talking people raking back hundreds of years. Robert the Bruce lived in the 13th century! And I would not expect my grand children even to tell people they were Scottish. They would have one Scottish grandparent. That's it! My children will be half Scottish. I think being American is cool enough on its own without having to tell everyone where your ancestors came from. I don't mind people wanting to know about their heritage. But when people who have got Scotland in there somewhere centuries back tell me that they themselves are Scottish it annoys me!

Here's a clue on white Americans. Our ancestors all came from somewhere else and it's common to have something come up in a convo like what's your blood, or what are you, etc.. in regards to heritage. It's not like our history in the US dates back 1,000+ years. My moms mothers side of the family came from Inverness, Scotland via Canada and brought books, silverware, dishes, even some furniture with them when they came here that are still in the family. Same with the Norwegian side of my family, and same with the Frisian side. It's how we relate to one another. Europeans being tribal themselves migrated from places like the Steppes to Western Europe hence the reason there's Celtic ruins in Scotland and Germany.

Some Americans are proud of their European heritage and have even visited relatives in Europe that were traced through a website. Being proud of ones roots is not a bad thing, and when an American say's; "I'm Scot, or German, Dutch, etc.." nine out of ten times they mean that's where their ancestors migrated from.

People around here don't understand when I tell them my husband is from Northern Ireland. People are so used to identifying themselves with their roots that they don't seem to understand there really ARE people out there who ARE, at present, English or Scottish or Irish........

A long time ago, I started telling them he was BORN in Northern Ireland.

I still think it's annoying though. :lol:

If your husband is protestant then he's about as Irish as Barak Obama. Just sayin...

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Yesterday I told Karen about this thread and asked if anyone mentioned Scottish ancestry to her. She said yes, everyone does! She is happy that they are so proud of the same heritage that she has, she just finds it unusual because she can't wait to call herself an American! Just think... in decades to come our grandkids will be the ones to tell new immigrants that they have Scottish roots. :-)

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

I'm Irish so I get this a lot and I like to reply with good grace and ask them what part of the country their family came from, if they've ever visited, do they keep in touch with or know people back home and then take it from there. It happened to Jess and I in Boston on St Patrick's Day and just a few under a week ago when we were having our engagement pictures taken. Depending on where they say they hail from I ask do they ever have trouble with the accent :P

There is more to Scotland than kilts, Braveheart and whiskey. Haha.

I'd hope so. Whiskey is Irish. Whisky is Scottish :whistle:

Usually when this happens the conversation changes to golf (Darren Clarke & Rory McIlroy) or questions about The Troubles. A lot of them are genuinely curious and a far cry from the close minded "Team America" stereotypes.

If your husband is protestant then he's about as Irish as Barak Obama. Just sayin...

As someone born and bred in the North of Ireland and from a working class Catholic family I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on that and hope not to derail the thread into a political discussion.

- Liam

Edited by Jessa & Liam

Here's a clue on white Americans. Our ancestors all came from somewhere else and it's common to have something come up in a convo like what's your blood, or what are you, etc.. in regards to heritage. It's not like our history in the US dates back 1,000+ years. My moms mothers side of the family came from Inverness, Scotland via Canada and brought books, silverware, dishes, even some furniture with them when they came here that are still in the family. Same with the Norwegian side of my family, and same with the Frisian side. It's how we relate to one another. Europeans being tribal themselves migrated from places like the Steppes to Western Europe hence the reason there's Celtic ruins in Scotland and Germany.

Some Americans are proud of their European heritage and have even visited relatives in Europe that were traced through a website. Being proud of ones roots is not a bad thing, and when an American say's; "I'm Scot, or German, Dutch, etc.." nine out of ten times they mean that's where their ancestors migrated from.

Lovely drive-by posting, Kip. I don't think anyone's ever asked me "what's your blood" (it's Type A+, by the way).

I'm not even going to touch on your deeply bizarre shot about Irish Protestants. As the descendant of Northern Irish Protestants myself, I know only a little bit about it (though what I know is true).

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Lovely drive-by posting, Kip. I don't think anyone's ever asked me "what's your blood" (it's Type A+, by the way).

I'm not even going to touch on your deeply bizarre shot about Irish Protestants. As the descendant of Northern Irish Protestants myself, I know only a little bit about it (though what I know is true).

I'l leave off with the pseudo protestant Irish thing, although I will say you can't stick a Scot in Ireland and call them Irish. As far as blood thing goes, it's not uncommon for the heritage thing to come up. I have no idea what part of the states you come from, but where I was raised we had a "Sons of Norway" hall, and a "Danish Brotherhood" hall where people gathered for events such as dinners, bingo, etc... Logging, fishing and dairy farming was the majority of the work in my hometown.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

I'l leave off with the pseudo protestant Irish thing, although I will say you can't stick a Scot in Ireland and call them Irish.

Out of curiosity how long do you or your family have to be resident in a country before you can say that you came from there? The Plantation of Scottish farmers into Ireland started over 400 years ago in 1606. Is over 400 years reasonable?

Out of curiosity how long do you or your family have to be resident in a country before you can say that you came from there? The Plantation of Scottish farmers into Ireland started over 400 years ago in 1606. Is over 400 years reasonable?

I would have to say they are considered "Irish" when they become part of Ireland.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

I would have to say they are considered "Irish" when they become part of Ireland.

You mean physically? Like growing roots into the ground like trees?? :rofl:

(kidding btw)

We don't "do" this topic in the UK forum. It's bad form here -- take it to P&R.

By your reasoning, we can't call you "American," you do understand. We'll only refer to you as Frisian from now on. Like the lovely cows.

Lovely, lovely cows.

ETA: It's so super-cute, Kip, that you missed us UK B!tches so much you had to come here to find us. Absolutely adorbs.luv.gifluv.gifluv.gif

Edited by Honey Crumpet

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Damn, I guess that means we have to start considering Bono British and we don't want that.

I think the Republic of Ireland would pay to off load him at this point :P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

You mean physically? Like growing roots into the ground like trees?? :rofl:

(kidding btw)

Haha. I'm glad you have a sense of humour about things! (I mean that genuinely) :)

Haha. I'm glad you have a sense of humour about things! (I mean that genuinely) :)

Thank you :) I think its a prerequisite for staying sane being a few thousand miles from the person you love and going through the visa process

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.