doubleyellowlines

Re: I-130 - Does USCIS accept Western Union?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi,

I am a USC living in Turkey and will be sending the I-130 docs out soon.

First problem I face is that, I don't know where I can get a cashier's check or money order for the $420.

I closed my bank accts back in US, and no friends that I can think of to fedex me a simple money order for the needed fee.

I called the only US bank in Turkey, Citibank, and they work as an investment bank, only -they wanted me to open an acct for no less than $60K, to offer me a cashier's check LOL.

I am thinking, if Western Union or Money Gram would do it? I highly doubt but, has anybody used WU or MG for these immig-related fees?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

No, they dont accept WU or MG.

May be, you can consider to open an account with FirstBank, CO. They allow to open an account online, it is easy! :-) Try it! No minimum balance required.

XrVRp5.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

May be, you can consider to open an account with FirstBank, CO. They allow to open an account online, it is easy! :-) Try it! No minimum balance required.

They accept money orders. check this link

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf and look for Where is the filing fee page 5

You can buy a money order. I told you to go to a western union or moneygram and ask if they sell money orders

Edited by evelyn1140

jkshrmfeqk.png

ooOcm7.png

event.png

Timeline

Thanks for your response. I just checked their website, they appear to require an address within U.S and an employer in US. I don't have either at the moment as it's been 4 years since I left US.

(for free checking acct)

To complete the application you will need:

•Address & phone numbers for all parties

•Social Security number(s)

•Current driver's license or other ID numbers

•Employer name & contact information

•You must be at least 13 years old to apply online

Any other ideas???

Timeline

Thanks for your response. I just checked their website, they appear to require an address within U.S and an employer in US. I don't have either at the moment as it's been 4 years since I left US.

(for free checking acct)

To complete the application you will need:

•Address & phone numbers for all parties

•Social Security number(s)

•Current driver's license or other ID numbers

•Employer name & contact information

•You must be at least 13 years old to apply online

Any other ideas???

Do you have any relatives they can buy you the money order and sent it to you in turkey? or you can fill out the i-130 send it to a relative. Then you relative can buy the money order and send papers from the us. My ideas might sound crazy but I don't see other choice

Don't shoot the messenger :yes::no::bonk:

jkshrmfeqk.png

ooOcm7.png

event.png

Timeline

Do you have any relatives they can buy you the money order and sent it to you in turkey? or you can fill out the i-130 send it to a relative. Then you relative can buy the money order and send papers from the us. My ideas might sound crazy but I don't see other choice

Don't shoot the messenger :yes::no::bonk:

Hey Eve, they (USCIS) accepts money order.

But: "the check or money order must be drawn on a bank or other financial institution located in the United States." I think this pretty much omits out WU and MG, as I can not be certain if these will work or not.

Regarding having a relative buy the money order and send it to me..and so forth. No, I don't have anybody in US who can do that. Gosh, if I had a relative, I would have "an address, someone to send me docs, even be a co-sponsor and etc" LOL No.

I actually have (HAD) an existing bank acct at my local bank in Cali -Washington Mutual, still with like 800 bucks in it, and I have a checkbook here with me as well. But I JUST FOUND OUT NOW that the bank WAMU I think got bankrupt and the unclaimed money is sent to Cali state as of 2010! Jeeeez.....

Edited by doubleyellowlines

Timeline

Hey Eve, they (USCIS) accepts money order.

But: "the check or money order must be drawn on a bank or other financial institution located in the United States." I think this pretty much omits out WU and MG, as I can not be certain if these will work or not.

Regarding having a relative buy the money order and send it to me..and so forth. No, I don't have anybody in US who can do that. Gosh, if I had a relative, I would have "an address, someone to send me docs, even be a co-sponsor and etc" LOL No.

I actually have (HAD) an existing bank acct at my local bank in Cali -Washington Mutual, still with like 800 bucks in it, and I have a checkbook here with me as well. But I JUST FOUND OUT NOW that the bank WAMU I think got bankrupt and the unclaimed money is sent to Cali state as of 2010! Jeeeez.....

Mel if you had wamu it means you have your money there because they were transfer to chase. Call chase and find out. Let me know the outcome

jkshrmfeqk.png

ooOcm7.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.