miss805

Anyone approved without evidence of commingled finances?

21 posts in this topic

Hi Vjers! I came here on K1 visa late 2010, I got my Green Card this year and it was approved without an interview. I come from EU country (considered low fraud country), if that makes any difference.

My husband and I married for love and we have a happy marriage. However, he refuses to add me to his bank account. He says that it's nothing personal and that this is something he has decided a long time ago. He says that me being foreigner doesn't make any difference, and he would have done the same with anyone else, even if his wife was USC. He wants to keep 100% control over his money in case there ever is an ugly break-up in the future. Let me mention that he is the only financial provider right now, I don't have a job yet (but looking for one). We have a joint account (other than his main bank account) but we don't touch the money in it (it's more like emergency account).

Now, I know that having a joint account and evidence of commingled finances is one of the most important pieces of evidence for ROC interview, if not the most important. We were lucky that we didn't have an interview for AOS. I know that they expect a lot of evidence for ROC and not having joint finances is something frowned upon. I won't ROC until early 2013, but this is something I'm already worried about.

Has anyone ever been approved without having evidence of commingled finances and joint bank account? Do we risk not having ROC approved without a joint account?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't really see the problem you said you have a joint account ?

It doesn't matter if you spend the money or not from that account just the fact that it is a joint account is fine.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I thought bank account statements are needed for interview to show activity and usual eveyday spendings on the account? We don't really use that account, only if we really need it for emergencies.

You can still get statements from the account showing deposits / savings in the account. You can also get a statement saying its a joint account and when you opened it together etc.

There is no requirement to show " activity " of any sort. You just prove you have a shared account weather you use it or its just a savings account/emergency account.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Agree with Inky. You have a joint account. Activity in the account isn't a big deal. in fact being "savings" actually bodes well.

I thought bank account statements are needed for interview to show activity and usual eveyday spendings on the account? We don't really use that account, only if we really need it for emergencies.

your bank statement doesn't need to show spending. what' important is you have it. besides, there are a lot of other proofs of co-mingling such as letters/cards addressed to both of you, pictures of you at family gatherings, joint tax filing, etc

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

That's really good to know! Thanks guys, I feel relieved! :)

Honestly, is this all financial commingling you have with your husband? No joint credit card or authorized user on your husband's card?

In theory, that account that you have shows commingling. If it has only a few hundred dollars in it, one might question the commitment. If this is serious savings, then it might be ok. I hope you also have insurance policies where you name each other as beneficiaries. In general, commingling finances is the single most important indicator of a marriage (at least for USCIS). If you don't have enough, your husband should consider putting you on his other account(s), at least until your immigration journey is over. That much trust is duly necessary. If you can't trust your partner fully, why even get married in the first place?

have you filed taxes jointly?

one of the reasons we were sure to co-mingle financially, as they say, was because we (meaning both my alien husband and my USC self) knew that evidence of this was a requirement for our immigration process.

did your husband go so far as to have you sign a prenuptial agreement to protect his assets as well? i wonder how a prenup would be viewed by the USCIS.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Honestly, is this all financial commingling you have with your husband? No joint credit card or authorized user on your husband's card?

Yes, so far. No, we don't have a joint credit card (he only has one and rarely uses it and I don't have one) and like I said, he would not put me on his main checking account.

In theory, that account that you have shows commingling. If it has only a few hundred dollars in it, one might question the commitment. If this is serious savings, then it might be ok. I hope you also have insurance policies where you name each other as beneficiaries. In general, commingling finances is the single most important indicator of a marriage (at least for USCIS). If you don't have enough, your husband should consider putting you on his other account(s), at least until your immigration journey is over. That much trust is duly necessary. If you can't trust your partner fully, why even get married in the first place?

Neither of us have life or any kind of insurance yet. I appreciate your input and maybe my husband doesn't trust me fully but I didn't come here for marriage advice.

You have a joint account, like everyone else said, so that works in your favor. Either way, you won't be denied outright for that. I'm assuming you have plenty of other things for evidence that show that you are living as a marriage couple that you can provide to USCIS. You may or may not get an interview but they won't just deny over a bank account.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

have you filed taxes jointly?

one of the reasons we were sure to co-mingle financially, as they say, was because we (meaning both my alien husband and my USC self) knew that evidence of this was a requirement for our immigration process.

did your husband go so far as to have you sign a prenuptial agreement to protect his assets as well? i wonder how a prenup would be viewed by the USCIS.

We were not yet married in 2010 and January when he filed taxes.

Hoestly, the only reason I wish he would put me on his account is to make sure that we have evidence of financial commingling for ROC. I don't care about being able to use his money whenever I wanted because it's HIS money, he worked for it and me being able to spend his money is not something that I should be able to do automatically. Even if he did authorize me to use his account I would always ask him first if I could use it. It's just the way I was raised. I don't take anything for granted or think it's my right just because I am married to him.

No, we don't have a prenuptial agreement.

You have a joint account, like everyone else said, so that works in your favor. Either way, you won't be denied outright for that. I'm assuming you have plenty of other things for evidence that show that you are living as a marriage couple that you can provide to USCIS. You may or may not get an interview but they won't just deny over a bank account.

Thanks, I sure hope so. Yes, we have other evidence and are able to prove that we live together, take trips etc. together as a married couple.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Being able to demonstrate a comingling of lives is very important. Things such as: child's birth certificate, common address on drivers licenses/id cards, joint memberships, joint credit accounts, mail addressed to the both of you, both listed on car insurance, medical insurance, life insurance, membership in religious organizations, etc. A joint savings account is also good. All the things that are typical of a married couple. No one couple will have all the types of evidence.

You can only show what you have. Making sure that you have as much as you can is completely up to you and your spouse. There are many things that you can begin doing now that will be good evidence when ROC time rolls around. Have a discussion with your spouse to see if he sees the importance of building good evidence or not. Then you will be well prepared for the ROC stage.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.