Mameticate

I-864A questions.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi again. I was needing my grandmother to fill out an I-864A so I could meet the 125% poverty guidelines to sponsor my wife as an immigrant. My question is how do I put where my grandmother is related to me? There is a check box for "I am not the intending immigrant. I am the sponsor's household member. I am related to the sponsor as his/her." but it only has options for spouse, son or daughter, parent, brother or sister, or other dependent. Do I just check other dependent and write down grandmother?

If she HAS to be a dependent, does she count as one by the fact that I pay part of the bills with her?

Also, part of her income will be social security income and the other part will be regular income, so how do I put that on the form?

With her social security income and regular working income, she comes just $1,000 short of meeting the 125% guideline so my income of course will need to be counted as well on the original I-864.

Edited by Mameticate

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi again. I was needing my grandmother to fill out an I-864A so I could meet the 125% poverty guidelines to sponsor my wife as an immigrant. My question is how do I put where my grandmother is related to me? There is a check box for "I am not the intending immigrant. I am the sponsor's household member. I am related to the sponsor as his/her." but it only has options for spouse, son or daughter, parent, brother or sister, or other dependent. Do I just check other dependent and write down grandmother?

If she HAS to be a dependent, does she count as one by the fact that I pay part of the bills with her?

Also, part of her income will be social security income and the other part will be regular income, so how do I put that on the form?

With her social security income and regular working income, she comes just $1,000 short of meeting the 125% guideline so my income of course will need to be counted as well on the original I-864.

C. - Other, put Grandparent next to (specify) They do not have to be your dependent. They just need to live in the same household as you. Their income will be listed on your I-864 and added with yours there.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

OK I've read some things and I'm more confused now:

1. I managed to find and read the instructions for I-864A and it essentially says you cannot use a grandparent as a household member.

2. I read that a household size calculation does not take into account people such as grandparents.

Question: Can a joint sponsor (who would be my grandma) live in the same place of residence as me and my spouse but be counted themselves as a separate household entirely? If so, this would be wonderful news because she would meet the income requirement all on her own by just counting me and my wife.

Edited by Mameticate

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

1. I managed to find and read the instructions for I-864A and it essentially says you cannot use a grandparent as a household member.

2. I read that a household size calculation does not take into account people such as grandparents.

Question: Can a joint sponsor (who would be my grandma) live in the same place of residence as me and my spouse but be counted themselves as a separate household entirely? If so, this would be wonderful news because she would meet the income requirement all on her own by just counting me and my wife.

Yes, your grandmother, if single is a one person household plus the intending immigrant. Living at the same address is one of but not the only criteria for determining who is a household member. Roommates are not household members.

Please note that you are posting in the K3 visa forum. Neither the I-864 or I-864a are applicable to K visa cases. Please update your profile, as I'm sure you're not involved in the fictional N/A visa process. Ask further questions in the proper forum for better answers.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

We haven't filed quite yet so I haven't put a visa yet on my profile. When I called USCIS the guy on the other end of the phone said we had to file for a K3 instead of a CR-1/IR-1 so I'm sort of confused because other people and this website say you can do the latter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Sorry for the bad answer. I honestly did not know grandparents living with you would not count for the I-864A. Parents only, no grand, got it. Thanks, at least it made me read thoroughly through the whole I-864A instructions now. Now I know and can avoid bad info in the future. :bonk:

Since she is not your dependent, she is her own household. You can fill out the I-864 and your grandmother can fill out her own I-864 to be the co-sponsor. She only needs to have enough for 2 people if she has no other dependents.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.

We haven't filed quite yet so I haven't put a visa yet on my profile. When I called USCIS the guy on the other end of the phone said we had to file for a K3 instead of a CR-1/IR-1 so I'm sort of confused because other people and this website say you can do the latter.

We don't call it the misinformation line for nothing. Get your information here and from form instructions, or a professional. Calling USCIS is a good way to mess up your life.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

We don't call it the misinformation line for nothing. Get your information here and from form instructions, or a professional. Calling USCIS is a good way to mess up your life.

Yeah I can see what you mean. When I called, the guy acted like he was reading off of a piece of paper. I told him we didn't have kids and he told us the part about kids anyway and even repeated a part about kids after that even though he acknowledged that I had said that. I'll know better next time. :innocent:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.