macflex22

Infamous roundtrip ticket question...

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I would recommend to get ONE WAY ticket... In my opinion and experience tickets are cheaper in the USA. So, if you buy a round trip ticket that means that you will expect to buy your tickets always in Colombia. I would suggest to buy one way ticket, and then start getting your round trip tickets in the USA.

:thumbs:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Here it goes the infamous question....... Do you need to have a roundtrip ticket to enter the U.S. on a K-1 visa????? Is a One-way ok???

Buy a round trip ticket for about a month return trip. Cancel the ticket and they will issue you a credit good for one year. I just could't find a decent return trip so I bought the cheaper ticket.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

nm

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Because if you don't cancel the return it can appear that you left while AOS was in process and thus abandoned your status. It's happened a couple of times. The airlines don't always update the manifest and can see that their seat was used.

But you'd still have your I-94 and you'd be there without having cleared CBP again, and they have all the info about your entry and exit to and from the US.

I had a return ticket which I didn't use and forgot to cancel and my AOS was quick and easy; my flights were not a part of my AOS so that seems weird to me.

(But I do know that this immigration process can throw up problems when there aren't any...so it's interesting)

05-2010 I-129F application received by USCIS.

05-2010 NOA1 received.

07-2010 NOA2 received.

07-2010 Packet 3 received.

08-2010 Packet 3 returned.

09-2010 Medical in London.

10-2010 Interview at US Embassy in London: Approved.

10-2010 POE Newark, NJ.

11-2010 Married in Vermont.

03-2011 Notice of acceptance of AOS packet.

03-2011 Biometrics appointment in St Albans.

03-2010 Case transfered to California Service Centre.

04-2011 I-485 Approved.

event.png

Not a thing. The first comment was a joke actually. Buy the round-trip then call the airline and cancel the return as soon as you get home. Good luck!

Well - The real question is which is less expensive. I checked the other day for a one-way ticket from DME to Florida, and the cost was about $3,200 - To do a round trip ticket (for which we could just forget about the return flight), was $870...

The K-1 Visa is a single-entry visa, and does not guarantee return to the U.S.

Does it cost anything to cancel a round-trip ticket?

i don't get it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

But you'd still have your I-94 and you'd be there without having cleared CBP again, and they have all the info about your entry and exit to and from the US.

I had a return ticket which I didn't use and forgot to cancel and my AOS was quick and easy; my flights were not a part of my AOS so that seems weird to me.

(But I do know that this immigration process can throw up problems when there aren't any...so it's interesting)

Oh don't get me wrong, I did as well (have a return ticket I didn't use and had no issues). But they had proof of that persons name and passport details on a ticket saying the flight left. That's how they knew they'd left. I for instance have two passports so I could have just shown my other passport to leave so the name on the manifest is what they go by.

Here's two threads:

- http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/268029-returned-flight-cost-my-husband-his-aos/

- http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/255674-denial-of-aos-due-to-inaccurate-info/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Not that I'm aware of, no. Or don't cancel but simply do not use it?? Round trip always seems to be cheaper and besides, you're not going to be held hostage and disallowed from returning to your homeland ever again. I will have an elder daughter still here so will be on a round of round trip tickets :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Oh don't get me wrong, I did as well (have a return ticket I didn't use and had no issues). But they had proof of that persons name and passport details on a ticket saying the flight left. That's how they knew they'd left. I for instance have two passports so I could have just shown my other passport to leave so the name on the manifest is what they go by.

Here's two threads:

- http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/268029-returned-flight-cost-my-husband-his-aos/

- http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/255674-denial-of-aos-due-to-inaccurate-info/

I see. Poor people, I do hope it was cleared up for them.

So, yes, just in case an error is made, people should cancel their round trip ticket after using the first part :)

(I still think the comment made by the person I originally responded to was silly: "Also - if you do not intend to use the 2nd trip - cancel it - or suffer the wraith of the AOS judges if they discover "someone" used that seat.")

Thanks for the clarification Vanessa! :) As I said, it caused absolutely no problem for me but I would probably cancel it in the future, just because I do like to make sure everything is in order for my dealings with the folks at immigration. :)

05-2010 I-129F application received by USCIS.

05-2010 NOA1 received.

07-2010 NOA2 received.

07-2010 Packet 3 received.

08-2010 Packet 3 returned.

09-2010 Medical in London.

10-2010 Interview at US Embassy in London: Approved.

10-2010 POE Newark, NJ.

11-2010 Married in Vermont.

03-2011 Notice of acceptance of AOS packet.

03-2011 Biometrics appointment in St Albans.

03-2010 Case transfered to California Service Centre.

04-2011 I-485 Approved.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.