TheanneAndRicardo

Marry with K1 Visa.. Apply for AOS on tourist visa?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Hi All,

My fiance (chilean) and I (US citizen) want to apply for a K1 visa. However, after we get married here in the US, he will have to leave the country for work reasons. Currently he has a tourist visa. 1) Will his tourist visa be nullified by him applying for the K1 visa (and hopefully receiving it?) and 2) If not, will he be able to re-enter the US on his tourist visa and then apply for the adjustment of status? Finally, should we just wait to apply for the fiance visa until he will be able to live here permanently? The thing is we just want to get married. We've been together 5+ years and would prefer not to wait any longer, but at the same time we want to go about this in a legitimate way, as to not have trouble in the future. Any advice is warmly welcomed! Thank you!!

Theanne

PS The VJ community is the best! Have gotten such great advice here and I'm so glad I've found this site!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can get married on the K1, but if he leaves before receiving AP then it will a waste and you will need to go through the CR1 route.

Why not just marry and apply for the CR1?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi All,

My fiance (chilean) and I (US citizen) want to apply for a K1 visa. However, after we get married here in the US, he will have to leave the country for work reasons. Currently he has a tourist visa. 1) Will his tourist visa be nullified by him applying for the K1 visa (and hopefully receiving it?) and 2) If not, will he be able to re-enter the US on his tourist visa and then apply for the adjustment of status? Finally, should we just wait to apply for the fiance visa until he will be able to live here permanently? The thing is we just want to get married. We've been together 5+ years and would prefer not to wait any longer, but at the same time we want to go about this in a legitimate way, as to not have trouble in the future. Any advice is warmly welcomed! Thank you!!

Theanne

PS The VJ community is the best! Have gotten such great advice here and I'm so glad I've found this site!

Green cards are for people who intend to reside in the US. Someone who isn't ready to reside in the US doesn't need a green card. It sounds like you should think about this when he's ready to immigrate to the US. He doesn't need either a visa or a green card to marry you.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All,

Theanne

You cannot use a tourist visa to re-enter the USA and apply for AOS. That is visa fraud.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

You can get married on the K1, but if he leaves before receiving AP then it will a waste and you will need to go through the CR1 route.

Why not just marry and apply for the CR1?

Exactly what is the different between a CR1 and a K3 visa (if any)?

Filed: Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Exactly what is the different between a CR1 and a K3 visa (if any)?

I am not sure about the difference, but I do know that the K3 visa is basically dead right now; the CR1 or IR1 visa is the one to apply for.

December 2009 -- Visit to Malaysia.

February 2010 -- Applied for B2 visa, approved.

March 2010 -- Visited US.

April 2010 -- Returned from US.

May 2010 -- Sent in K1 Visa application.

July 2010 -- Received NOA2 in 71 days from NOA1.

July 2010 -- Packet 3 received.

August 2010 -- Cancellation of K1 Visa application.

Click HERE for VisaJourney guides.

image.gif?fsize=50&font=Filxgirl.TTF&text= MalaysianGirl &mirror=no&color=0033FF&vcolor=996699&bgcolor=α=yes&output=gif&spacing=4&shadow=undefined&transparent=no

Timeline

I am not sure about the difference, but I do know that the K3 visa is basically dead right now; the CR1 or IR1 visa is the one to apply for.

ok thanks! so both the CR1 and IR1 are spousal visas yes? What is the difference between the two? pardon my ignorance and thanks for your help!

Timeline

ok thanks! so both the CR1 and IR1 are spousal visas yes? What is the difference between the two? pardon my ignorance and thanks for your help!

Yes, both are spousal visas. As to the differences between the two, click here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/69148-what-is-the-difference-between-cr1-and-ir1/

All the best! :thumbs:

image.gif?fsize=50&font=Filxgirl.TTF&text= MalaysianGirl &mirror=no&color=0033FF&vcolor=996699&bgcolor=α=yes&output=gif&spacing=4&shadow=undefined&transparent=no

You cannot use a tourist visa to re-enter the USA and apply for AOS. That is visa fraud.

This is the first time hear this! (Basura lo que dice este tipo). I know that people come to the states, marry an us citizen and then apply for AOS.

One thing for sure if you apply for AOS, your husband should stay here until he gets his papers, to avoid any inconveniences, as the visa may get voided.

Edited by dalabera

Timeline

This is the first time hear this! (Basura lo que dice este tipo). I know that people come to the states, marry an us citizen and then apply for AOS.

One thing for sure if you apply for AOS, your husband should stay here until he gets his papers, to avoid any inconveniences, as the visa may get voided.

Just because it happens doesn't mean it is legal... That is why inky said it is visa fraud if a person with a B1/B2 visa enters the US with the intention to marry a US citizen and apply for AOS.

I think that's the reason why The CO at the toughest when I was applied B2 visa for visiting my then-boyfriend (my now-fiance). The CO afraid I would go to US by B2 visa, married, and apply Adjustment of Status (AOS) - another reason why it does made me mad because she did not even looked at a bunch of documents I brought to-. When there is a certain legal way to to marry, some people just use shortcut to getting there without any concerned that it's probably illegal.

Edited by Girl from Celebes

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.