sonicgihad

I-129F Question 7:Other Names used

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What is considered OTHER NAMES USED?

I was born in the Philippines and the naming standard there includes your mother's maiden name as what in the Philippines is considered the MIDDLE name. So if you're mother's maiden name is Mary Smith and your father's name John Roberts then your legal name would be Peter Smith Roberts with Smith as your middle name.

My legal name in the Philippines was Peter Smith Roberts, having lived in the US for 25 years I have only used Peter Roberts as my legal name cuz in US naming standard, I technically do not have a middle name and Smith is my mother's maiden name. So now my passport, license, any Identification I have only reads Peter Roberts. The only docs I have that shows my Philippine legal name is my NATURALIZATION papers and my Socoal Security card which I got before I became naturalized.

Is this considered as other names used? As the beneficiary, should I file under Peter Smith Roberts and state Peter Roberts(without the middle name) as other name used?

Edited by sonicgihad

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I was born in the Philippines and the naming standard there includes your mother's maiden name as what in the Philippines is considered the MIDDLE name. So if you're mother's maiden name is Mary Smith and your father's name John Roberts then your legal name would be Peter Smith Roberts with Smith as your middle name.

My legal name in the Philippines was Peter Smith Roberts, having lived in the US for 25 years I have only used Peter Roberts as my legal name cuz in US naming standard, I technically do not have a middle name and Smith is my mother's maiden name. So now my passport, license, any Identification I have only reads Peter Roberts. The only docs I have that shows my Philippine legal name is my NATURALIZATION papers and my Socoal Security card which I got before I became naturalized.

Is this considered as other names used? As the beneficiary, should I file under Peter Smith Roberts and state Peter Roberts(without the middle name) as other name used?

Your legal name is Peter Roberts. That is what is on all your documents (passport, license, etc). I would put down your "other name" which is just the addition of your middle name, as other names, but I doubt if that will make any difference. I rarely use my middle name, or even my middle initial even though it appears on some of my identification.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Beneficiary?? So someone is petitioning you for a visa?

Your LEGAL name is Peter Smith Roberts, unless you changed it at naturalization but given your cert says Peter Smith Roberts THAT'S your legal name.

Out of interest just because the maiden name is your middle name doesn't mean it's not your middle name. Legal name in your home country includes the middle name so THAT'S your legal name in every country. It doesn't change with a countries naming convention just because you're living there. Your legal name is always going to be your legal name until you legally change it. Luckily it's only middle name, not a huge deal in the grand scheme.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I wonder if there's gonna be a discrepancy in identity as far as immigration is concerned. As for proof of eligibility as a petitioner,I provided a copy of my Naturalization certificate which shows Peter Smith Roberts and my passport which only showed Peter Roberts. I'm gonna get RFE'd for sure... darnit!!!

Edited by sonicgihad

Since your naturalization paper has your middle name I would think that is your legal name. It seems like you should have gotten your passport and ids issued to match that name.

I'm not sure why you didn't just continue to use your middle name, there was no reason to omit it. My middle name has always been my mother's maiden name and I was born and raised in the U.S.

I realize this doesn't directly help you or answer your question but I have seen numerous posts from immigrants and their SO's who believe that their middle name "doesn't count" or that they can't use it because it is their mother's maiden name. That is absolutely not true.

I don't think it will be a problem but if it were me I would file under full name with middle name and maybe put the other name (no middle) under other names used, but I'm not convinced that's even necessary. This will probably turn out to be one of those things that you worry too much about that doesn't end up being an issue.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.