usa12

CRIMINAL BACKGROUND + OVERSTAY

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello

Before sending our k1 petition, I'd like to ask for your advice on this...

I went to the US as an au pair in 2003. I was 20 and my friends were all over 21 and they made a fake ID for me ( my home country driver's license). It was stupid, I know... but you don't think much about onsequences when you're that young...

I got caught the first time I used it getting in a bar in NJ. They took me to the police station, gave me a green paper and told me I had to go to court Never went to jail... just had to go to court.

So I did. My host-mother at time went with me. There were about 20 other people there for a fake id...

I had to pay a $900,00 fine and do 40 hours of community service. I paid the fine, but did only 20 hours of community service bc it was christmas and I was leaving my host family's house. So, they called me in court again after a few months and I had to pay another fine for $500 and that was it. My court papers say it was an OFFENSE, not a crime and again, I never went to jail.

I decided to stay a little longer in the country after the au pair program ended and a lawyer sent a petition to Vermont to change my visa status to B2 in February ( I still had my J1 visa)

I didn't get an answer until Oct 6th saying that it was approved from Oct 6th 2004 to Oct 6th 2004. Huh...

So I left the country in Dec 20th 2004.

My question is: I was out of status from OCt to Dec or since February?

Last year I applied for a B2 visa and got it. It's valid for 10 years and I went to the States to visit friends and my fiancé this year.

Am I gonna get the k1 denied bc of what happened in the past?

Thanks a lot for all your thoughts about it.

Filed: Other Timeline

No,

you won't get denied. The fact that you got a B2 is proof that you didn't overstay enough to get in trouble. The K-1 is even easier to get, as immigration intent is implied.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.