NY_BX

Dress for success

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Quoting a book, and a fellow VJer, that focused on interviews and preparation:

DRESS WELL FOR THE INTERVIEW

"At any given interview, be it job or immigration, non verbal mode of communication says alot about who you are. The examiner will surely factor your physical appearance into his perception of you. As you know, firsts impression lasts a long time. Please put on clothing that will make you look responsible. For example, if you appear before an examiner with your pant drawn down like most teenagers, it will surely affect the perception of the examiner. The examiner might doubt your marriage, because your appearance does not support the responsible role of a husband. Therefore, if you appear like a hooligan or a thug, you may not get the favorable result you desire and deserve. You would have helped the examiner to conclude wrongly. Be moderate, neat and presentable".

I know that americans tend to conclude their own assumptions based on first impressions, and that includes attire. I'm curious to know, and I know is probably next to impossible, if there had been any correlations between how someone presented him or herself at the interview vs. the treatment they received. In other words, if a gentleman wore a suit and tie was better served than a gentleman that wore faded jeans and a t-shirt. I'd hope no one would be that judgmental, but reality sometimes dictates otherwise, unfortunately.

Good luck!

Edited by NY_BX

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Timeline

I agree...i hate wearing suits, much more comfortable in a pair of jeans and a t shirt but i wore a suit to my interview :)

I hate suits too. In my line of work I rarely have to wear any. I still have a couple 'just in case' pieces. This would be a good moment to dust one off and look nice :)

I accompanied my wife to her K-1 interview in Manila. I sure as hell didn't wear a suit in Manila in the summer time! I wore shorts and sandals.

I also didn't wear a suit to our AOS interview. They are concerned with your evidence, not how you're dressed.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

When I had my interview in Manila US Embassy I saw a USC wearing "Barong", which is a traditional Filipino clothing. I thought it was funny but cute at the same time. I wore a dress which is a little above my knee, some would think it's inappropriate but since the interview was in a window where the interviewer won't see what you're wearing from waist down, I don't think attire is a big deal.

tumblr_m24igfpWr01rtrvwyo1_r1_250.jpg

Click image to view my blog!

AOS Timeline

11/1/11 - AOS package Delivered

11/7/11 - NOA Received in the mail

11/12/11 - Biometrics Appointment received

11/28/11 - Case transferred to CSC

12/7/11 - Biometrics done

1/2/12 - EAD and AP approved (Card production)

1/11/12 - EAD/AP Card received

1/20/12 - Got Driver's License!

3/7/12 - GC approved!

3/9/12 - Got a job!

3/11/12 - GC on hand

Timeline

I think this is an important topic, come the day of the interview i wont force my fiance into a suit- but I will make sure he's wearing a nice button down shirt! I wont hurt to dress somewhat presentable. I mean after all- it is an "interview".

K1 Timeline

I-129f Sent ............................. 07/11/2011

I-129f Rec'd............................ 07/13/2011

NOA1 ...................................... 07/15/2011

NOA2 ...................................... 11/22/2011

NVC Received ...................... 11/30/2011

NVC Left ................................. 12/07/2011

Consulate Received ............ 12/13/2011

Packet 3 Received ............... 12/18/2011

Packet 3 Sent ........................ 12/28/2011

Packet 4 Received ................ 2/2/2012 (Received a phone call)

Interview ................................ 2/5/2012 - APPROVED!! ... WITH AP

Visa Rec'd................................ 6/13/2012

AOS received..............................9/12/2012

EAD............................................11/29/2012

GC????????

Timeline

I think this is an important topic, come the day of the interview i wont force my fiance into a suit- but I will make sure he's wearing a nice button down shirt! I wont hurt to dress somewhat presentable. I mean after all- it is an "interview".

I agree a suit is a little over the top, but I also agree that dressing rather conservatively is a safer approach.

Filed: Other Timeline

Quoting a book, and a fellow VJer, that focused on interviews and preparation:

DRESS WELL FOR THE INTERVIEW

"At any given interview, be it job or immigration, non verbal mode of communication says alot about who you are. The examiner will surely factor your physical appearance into his perception of you. As you know, firsts impression lasts a long time. Please put on clothing that will make you look responsible. For example, if you appear before an examiner with your pant drawn down like most teenagers, it will surely affect the perception of the examiner. The examiner might doubt your marriage, because your appearance does not support the responsible role of a husband. Therefore, if you appear like a hooligan or a thug, you may not get the favorable result you desire and deserve. You would have helped the examiner to conclude wrongly. Be moderate, neat and presentable".

It's hard to believe that somebody who writes a book would use a word that doesn't exist in the English language: alot.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

It's hard to believe that somebody who writes a book would use a word that doesn't exist in the English language: alot.

that was my typo. However, I must agree that this manual is not the most sophisticated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.