Gary and Alla

Here we go!

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Gary & Alla,

I think you are on the right track, but I also think the advice about not coming with "boyfriend" is sound. To the consulate officer, boyfriend means potential husband which to them means skirting around the K-1 visa requirements. Just have her say a friend from school that lives in America invited her to visit his parents during the winter break and go skiing. Make is sound more like a skiing vacation more than anything. Maybe if they think that she's a rich Russian girl being spoiled by her parents and will spend a lot of money in the USA they might let her come. :wacko:

I think that it's better to have your visa denied than to be caught on lies by the CO.

I've heard at least about one case when a K-1 applicant was denied, because when the lady was applying for a visitor visa, she said she was going to see her friend, not boyfriend, but a friend. Guess which CO interviewed her for K-1 visa later? The same one! And for some unbelievable reason the CO remembered her and one of the questions was "Why did you lie that he was your friend?"

Plus... I don't know all the Laws and rules, but I don't think that she will be able to adjust her status now since Gary's son isn't a citizen yet.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yeah, what's going on here?

The only tip I would give her is for her during the interview to make it sound like, "ah, whatever. My boyfriend wants me to go with him< ......>

Interested, but not too interested. She needs a reason to go back <....> Maybe even something like, "ha! The last thing I wanna do is go there to spend time with his mom!"

If she gets interviewed by a chick, she'll get the visa for sure. "Girl, I know that's right. My man's momma is a biaatch." If it's a guy, she'll probably get it too. "I can't believe she's so indifferent about all this but boy is she hot!"

I somehow skipped Slim's reply.. And read it just now.

This is a big mistake.. If I were that chick and heard "whatever, he wants me to go", I would send her jump off Everest. Why the hell she needs a visa to the U.S..?? I would not issue people visas with 'ah, whatever' attitude.

She does need to show her interest. - YES, I want to know more about my boyfriend's parents. - YES, YES, I want to go and see how they live.

Dasha has already tons of evidences to return back (Sergey's leave is her main evidence) The only thing she needs is to make them open a file w/ the evidences by:

- having a positive attitude

- having a face like 'can't keep my eyes off'

- having a voice like "can't stop listening to"

- demonstrating an interest to Sergey's family!!

- providing concrete and clear answers - NOOOO 1000+1 fables

..and the visa will be in her pocket!

У нашому регiонi цей чорт зветься — шахтар

This is a big mistake.. If I were that chick and heard "whatever, he wants me to go", I would send her jump off Everest. Why the hell she needs a visa to the U.S..?? I would not issue people visas with 'ah, whatever' attitude.

She does need to show her interest. - YES, I want to know more about my boyfriend's parents. - YES, YES, I want to go and see how they live.

Dasha has already tons of evidences to return back (Sergey's leave is her main evidence) The only thing she needs is to make them open a file w/ the evidences by:

This would be good advice for a Fiance or IR/CR Visa, but not for a Visitor's visa. Remember that the all non-immigrant visa petioners are viewed as wanting to immigrate. It is up to petioner to prove otherwise.

Timeline

This would be good advice for a Fiance or IR/CR Visa, but not for a Visitor's visa. Remember that the all non-immigrant visa petioners are viewed as wanting to immigrate. It is up to petioner to prove otherwise.

For the RUB's consulates, the good triple advice for a Fiance or IR/CR Visa is one and only - feelings & health & financial support.

For B2s, please, dance. But don't show your 'no attitude_no-fish-no-meat_nothing'. IMO.

Timeline

Thanks. I have copied and sent your posts to her.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I think that it's better to have your visa denied than to be caught on lies by the CO.

I've heard at least about one case when a K-1 applicant was denied, because when the lady was applying for a visitor visa, she said she was going to see her friend, not boyfriend, but a friend. Guess which CO interviewed her for K-1 visa later? The same one! And for some unbelievable reason the CO remembered her and one of the questions was "Why did you lie that he was your friend?"

Plus... I don't know all the Laws and rules, but I don't think that she will be able to adjust her status now since Gary's son isn't a citizen yet.

and we would wring his neck if he gave up TWO paid scholarships to get married! :lol: She (they) have no intent of staying. At the Christmas break we have gone there, this time he is coming here.

There is pretty good evidence she will go back and really good evidence he will. It is not an issue for him, of course, but if her boyfriend is going back, why wouldn't she? Where is she going to get a better deal than a paid scholarship at a top institute?

I have told her NOT to deny they are boyfriend/girlfriend but to be non-commital on any marriage questions and state that they have not discussed such things and will not until they finish college. From what they tell us, this is true.

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ummm USCIS and the Embassy (and CBP) are wholly different entities.....they are supposed to follow similar rules and requirements but by definition, they are separate from each other. Just FYI

Baron, you're right...consulate is State Dept.

Timeline

There's only one thing crazier than TRYING to get a immigration visa...and that's TRYING to get a visitor visa!

My stepson, Alexey, was rejected for a visitor visa BUT was granted an immigration visa! Is that logical? The reason is the USCIS and consulate workers are: A. dumb and B. illogical. If someone looked at the full picture of Alexey's near certain eligibility to immigrate to the US, why not grant a visitor visa? He did his Russian Army deal, his name is on the ownership papers for the flat he lived in...and he had a job.

Still rejected flat out. Not even an explanation or discussion. The time, energy and money that was invested in that tourist visa was a total toilet job. What a waste.

Then, to add insult to injury, I start reading on here that some young single women and a few grandmas were getting tourist visas. "Alice in Wonderland" comes to mind to describe these visa "journeys."

Getting a visitor/tourist visa is like the blackjack table in Vegas. The odds are all in favor of the dealer, but the player may still hit 21...once in awhile.

Good luck.

I believe, ultimately, you are correct. we will try our best, or she will actually. I will pass along some tips I learn here and hope for the best. At any rate, Alla and I decided that until Sergey comes back here for his doctorate degree that he just needs to come at the winter break and not have more than 6 months out of the country. We have been fine so far but it is up to the choices of some guy on the other side of the CBP counter each time he returns for the summer and we are not happy about that. So he comes home for winter break. He does not have to like it and it is not presented as an option. We pay the freight.

As for Dasha, she pays her own visa fee and plane ticket. She can visit and eat and sleep here for free as can any other of our children's temporary guests. We will even take her skiing at our expense for some family fun and she can go shooting with Alla. :lol: Otherwise, they can save some money from their tutoring for other entertainment and take a bus around the town. If they can do it in Moscow they can do it in Burlington. This ain't Club Med!

If she comes it is great for Sergey, if she does not...oh well, he will see her in three weeks. They can skype.

I am helping her as much as I can and I would really like for her to visit, really I would. But I am not going to lose sleep or be depressed about it if she does not. We can try again for summer if she wants. It costs $140 per chance! :lol:

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

The only requirements for a visitor visa are a valid reason to go and strong evidence to return.

Neither of us are consular officers so our opinions mean exactly zero. However, an indifference and/or lack of interest in the USA would show no intent to immigrate and that's really what the visitor needs to display at the interview. Interest of any type - especially by the a young woman in a relationship with a LPR - could be construed as intent to immigrate and that's a big no no.

Exactly.

They should be interested in the valid reason they're visiting but not overly interested in the US. If there is enthusiasm anywhere it should be in their normal life and subsequent return to Russia.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Gary & Alla,

I think you are on the right track, but I also think the advice about not coming with "boyfriend" is sound. To the consulate officer, boyfriend means potential husband which to them means skirting around the K-1 visa requirements. Just have her say a friend from school that lives in America invited her to visit his parents during the winter break and go skiing. Make is sound more like a skiing vacation more than anything. Maybe if they think that she's a rich Russian girl being spoiled by her parents and will spend a lot of money in the USA they might let her come. :wacko:

But the boyfriend isn't a citizen.

But the boyfriend isn't a citizen.

He only needs to be a permanent resident of America to have the issue of possible marriage. The "boyfriend" indicates a relationship which if you were to ask Alla, she would probably say that the girl is not a girlfriend. :whistle:

Timeline

He only needs to be a permanent resident of America to have the issue of possible marriage. The "boyfriend" indicates a relationship which if you were to ask Alla, she would probably say that the girl is not a girlfriend. :whistle:

Moot points. The boyfriend goes to school in Moscow, she does not need a visa to visit her boyfriend, she is not coming to visit her boyfriend, she is coming to visit her boyfriend's home and family.

Alla acknowledges she is the "girlfriend" but hopes it will pass.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The only requirements for a visitor visa are a valid reason to go and strong evidence to return.

Neither of us are consular officers so our opinions mean exactly zero. However, an indifference and/or lack of interest in the USA would show no intent to immigrate and that's really what the visitor needs to display at the interview. Interest of any type - especially by the a young woman in a relationship with a LPR - could be construed as intent to immigrate and that's a big no no.

I thought the only requirements for a visitor visa are an invitation & a valid international passport & strong ties with home country. No? This is no such a thing as 'a valid reason.' My sister-in-law, 33, got her 5-yr-visa 4 yrs ago. As for reasons, she said she wanted to see how I live , Pacific & Disney (a CO said, 'That's it?' Vera said, 'NO, also Yosemite, Monterey, Carmel, Stanford, Berkeley, and Muir Woods, and Tahoe, and.., and..', the CO raised her hand [stop!] and said, 'Go and see it'), while other hundred people left the consulate with refusals. Was it a valid reason?

My ex's nephew, 26, born in the U.S., a student of JFK School of Government said that nothing shocked him so deeply during his substantive internship at the Moscow consulate last summer, but lack of interest & curiosity in people faces, who were interviewing for visitor visas.

Edited by Ellie-n-Vladimir

I thought the only requirements for a visitor visa are an invitation & a valid international passport & strong ties with home country. No? This is no such a thing as 'a valid reason.'

Directly from the embassy's website -

That the purpose of your trip to the United States is for a temporary visit, such as business, pleasure, or medical treatment

That you plan to remain in the United States for a specific, limited period of time

Evidence of funds to cover your expenses while in the United States

That you have a residence outside the United States, as well as other binding social or economic ties, that will ensure your return abroad at the end of your visit

There is no such thing as an invitation.

My sister-in-law, 33, got her 5-yr-visa 4 yrs ago. As for reasons, she said she wanted to see how I live , Pacific & Disney (a CO said, 'That's it?' Vera said, 'NO, also Yosemite, Monterey, Carmel, Stanford, Berkeley, and Muir Woods, and Tahoe, and.., and..', the CO raised her hand [stop!] and said, 'Go and see it'), while other hundred people left the consulate with refusals. Was it a valid reason?

My ex's nephew, 26, born in the U.S., a student of JFK School of Government said that nothing shocked him so deeply during his substantive internship at the Moscow consulate last summer, but lack of interest & curiosity in people faces, who were interviewing for visitor visas.

My sister-in-law, also 33, got her B visa a few years ago (before they handed them out like candy) by answering questions in a manner similar to what I've described. Her visit was to see her sister and visit the US for a specific amount of time before returning home to school and family.

In other words, a valid reason to visit and a good reason to go home. Exactly what I've suggested.

The level of enthusiasm shown to a CO has absolutely nothing to do with the visa issuance. Anyone who's spent time around Russians ought to know enthusiasm is not a common trait, especially one shared with strangers. I would imagine COs are trained to look upon enthusiasm with suspicion as opposed to optimism. Russians shouldn't be excited to visit the US. Everyone knows Russia is so much better than America anyway!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.