chrispar

K-1 timing question?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Me and my fiance applied for his visa in March this year (2011) and still haven't heard anything, we are still waiting. He lives in Bulgaria and I'm in the States. I'm getting impatient :( why is it taking so long? The 60 days is up they said would take :(

Keep Calling and get your Senator involved for an extra push. you never know.

:ot2:

The transition from NOA1 to NOA2 can be of around 5 months or less (if everything runs smooth) to 6-7 months (if you get RFEs) and unfortunately, a bit more or less if any Extra Background checks have to be performed on your case, but this is kind of random.

From NOA2 to Embassy , an average of 2 weeks to 2 months(in a worse case scenario) and from Embassy to Interview ,this stage will fully depend on the Country of the Beneficiary.

So in total, if you have a smooth application with no issues ,an estimate of 7 to 8 months is the safest. Some make it in less others more.

Review the timeline of your fiance's country and you will have a clear idea of what to expect in the best and worse case scenarios.

Timeline

Would petitioner's employement facilitate criminal background check and speed the process? For example... NYPD police officer...?

Sorry if this is off topic... I didnt see the point on making a new thread for that question.

Thank you!

UMMMM....I really don't know much but your case is just the as everyone when it comes to background check criteria; Unless that the policde officer in questions has a friend in the FBI that

can perform those background checks quicker when your file is sent there :P

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

UMMMM....I really don't know much but your case is just the as everyone when it comes to background check criteria; Unless that the policde officer in questions has a friend in the FBI that

can perform those background checks quicker when your file is sent there :P

:lol: nope, no friends in the FBI

oh well, worth the shot

thanks! :thumbs:

K1
10/04/2011 - I-129F sent [/font]
10/06/2011 - I-129F received at USCIS/Dallas and routed to Vermont
10/12/2011 - NOA1 email and text message + check cashed. (NOA1 hardcopy date is Oct 11)
12/20/2011 - She went to the US with a tourist visa to spend 2 weeks with him
01/27/2012 - NOA2 (hard copy came in the mail on Feb 1 + text message, email and website update)
02/13/2012 - SENT EMAIL TO RIO DE JANEIRO CONSULATE TO GET INTERVIEW DATE
04/03/2012 - INTERVIEW IN RIO DE JANEIRO - APPROVED
04/10/2012 - Passport with visa + sealed envelope received [/color]
08/27/2012 - POE Atlanta
09/01/2012 - Married!

AOS
09/25/2012 - AOS + EAD + AP sent
09/27/2012 - AOS package received in Chicago
10/02/2012 - Text messages + email received with 3 case numbers showing NOA for EAD + AP Sep 28/ NOA I-485 Oct 1
10/03/2012 - Check cashed $1,070.00
12/07/2012 - EAD + Travel Permit combo card

07/22/2013 - GC approved

07/25/2013 - GC in production

07/29/2013 - GC received

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

05/14/2015 - Package sent

05/18/2015 - Package received in Vermont

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Would petitioner's employement facilitate criminal background check and speed the process? For example... NYPD police officer...?

Sorry if this is off topic... I didnt see the point on making a new thread for that question.

Thank you!

NEVER

Sometimes it can slow the process tremendously but I doubt it for a city police officer. If you had some sort of TS classification or were in sensitive information employment, military intelligence for example, it could greatly increase the amount of time needed, not for YOU, but for your fiancee right up front.

The regular background check takes less than 30 seconds, it is only if you "fail" or your name generates "hits" that a manual check is used. How much faster do you want?

There is a misconception that there is a huge amount of time spent on petitions. Typically it is 20 minutes or less start to finish, open to close, if all is complete and the background check passes (most do) The rest of the time your file sits in a box waiting its turn. The "updates" or "touches" are usually when the box gets moved around and scanned, it does not mean anyone actually touched your file.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

6-9 months, presently, until the visa is in your hand. DO NOT make any wedding plans around that estimate or buy any plane tickets until the visa is IN YOUR HAND.

It’s way early for your plane tickets but to just say don’t buy till you have visa in hand is not so straight forward.<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

I purchased ours 6 weeks ahead. I estimated the time for each step and add time for extra documents. It was a calculated risk with minimal down side.

I got 2 tickets for 70,000 airline miles then that would cost 130,000 airline miles or more now. If the visa was delayed the rebooking fee would be $50 and then have to look 6 weeks out again to find the 70,000 mile tickets.

I could have purchased 2 for $1300 cash then that would cost $2400 now. If I need to rebook it would be $300 in fees and again look 6 weeks out to find the $1300 price tickets.

So basically I could have waited and been guaranteed of high price tickets or risk a few hundred to have my love with me 6 weeks earlier.

Timeline

NEVER

Sometimes it can slow the process tremendously but I doubt it for a city police officer. If you had some sort of TS classification or were in sensitive information employment, military intelligence for example, it could greatly increase the amount of time needed, not for YOU, but for your fiancee right up front.

The regular background check takes less than 30 seconds, it is only if you "fail" or your name generates "hits" that a manual check is used. How much faster do you want?

There is a misconception that there is a huge amount of time spent on petitions. Typically it is 20 minutes or less start to finish, open to close, if all is complete and the background check passes (most do) The rest of the time your file sits in a box waiting its turn. The "updates" or "touches" are usually when the box gets moved around and scanned, it does not mean anyone actually touched your file.

Jay, after this clarification from Gary, I believe that what you need is a friend in the Vermont center.... heheheh

Just seat and relax and let the process flow. You will get there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

NEVER

hahaha OMG I had NO IDEA of how it works... all I hear is "background checks take a long time"

well, now I know

thanks a lot

Jay, after this clarification from Gary, I believe that what you need is a friend in the Vermont center.... heheheh

Just seat and relax and let the process flow. You will get there.

yeah, I get it ;)

I know we'll get there. It was just a question.

K1
10/04/2011 - I-129F sent [/font]
10/06/2011 - I-129F received at USCIS/Dallas and routed to Vermont
10/12/2011 - NOA1 email and text message + check cashed. (NOA1 hardcopy date is Oct 11)
12/20/2011 - She went to the US with a tourist visa to spend 2 weeks with him
01/27/2012 - NOA2 (hard copy came in the mail on Feb 1 + text message, email and website update)
02/13/2012 - SENT EMAIL TO RIO DE JANEIRO CONSULATE TO GET INTERVIEW DATE
04/03/2012 - INTERVIEW IN RIO DE JANEIRO - APPROVED
04/10/2012 - Passport with visa + sealed envelope received [/color]
08/27/2012 - POE Atlanta
09/01/2012 - Married!

AOS
09/25/2012 - AOS + EAD + AP sent
09/27/2012 - AOS package received in Chicago
10/02/2012 - Text messages + email received with 3 case numbers showing NOA for EAD + AP Sep 28/ NOA I-485 Oct 1
10/03/2012 - Check cashed $1,070.00
12/07/2012 - EAD + Travel Permit combo card

07/22/2013 - GC approved

07/25/2013 - GC in production

07/29/2013 - GC received

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

05/14/2015 - Package sent

05/18/2015 - Package received in Vermont

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.