chrispar

K-1 timing question?

24 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just looking over the times listed on the nice visa comparison chart. What I am not clear about, is once the K1 process is started, how long does it take until the person has the visa to simply enter the USA (on average of course & not in regards to getting permanent residence)?

I see that it says 7.5 months...but really, am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks

Edited by SpidersOnBoats

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Yes, you are understanding that correctly, unfortunately...unless you are one of the lucky few who get their petition approved in 5 days, lol (and yes, that happens!). We filed our petition on October 11, 2010, and Ben stepped on American soil on June 19, 2011...yes, that's about how long it takes. It's not easy, but worth its weight in gold along the way. :)

Edited by Ben and Jill

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

From the I-129f filing to entry is country dependant. But I-129f to US Service Center approval is averaging about 4.7 months. Another 2-3 months for the medical, interview, etc. after US Service Center approval sounds about right.

So 7.5 months might be a good bench march. Some will be faster. Some will be slower.

Edited by mapletree

--------------------------------

Priorty Date: June 22, 2011

Interview Sept. 7, 2012

Visa in hand, Sept 15, 2012

Hi,

Just looking over the times listed on the nice visa comparison chart. What I am not clear about, is once the K1 process is started, how long does it take until the person has the visa to simply enter the USA (on average of course & not in regards to getting permanent residence)?

It can and probably will take that at least that long for your fiancee to have their K1 visa in hand. But They can visit provided they can show proof they will be returning to their own country. I wasn't sure what to show so I took my apartment lease agreement, a recent bill sent to me at my address, my photocopy of our NOA1, a copy of my fiance's id page of his passport. They also said that because they ran my passport they could see my usual travel history. Whew... I was allowed to enter the USA for the summer. But now I have to remain in my country until I have my visa. I used all my days allowed in the USA, well 179 out of the 180 permitted.. good luck.

Thanks

Fiance visa

04/28/2011 - I-129F - DENIED

02/18/2012 - I-129F petition filed
02/24/2012 - NOA1
09/04/2012 - NOA2, 193 days

Interview:10/22/2012
POE: 10/26/2012 (245 days)

Removal of Conditions

Filed for ROC - 06/09/2015

NOA1 for ROC - 06/12/2015

Biometrics appointment - 07/17/2015

Approval for ROC - 04/20/2016 (316 days)

Naturalization Process

N-400 Filed 06/10/2016

N-400 NOA1 06/14/2016

N-400 biometrics 06/20/16

N-400 interview 01/23/2017

N-400 Oath ceremony 02/10/2017

Immigration Process took 2116 days.

Timeline

And Mapletree has made an excellent point...it is country dependant, and in some cases it can be shorter or longer...it just depends. But, the average is the average, unfortunately. Our process ran pretty smooth and the longest and hardest part was waiting for the petition to be approved. After that, it moves a lot faster. We were able to schedule our interview rather quickly too, and some Embassy's take a long time - it all depends on their schedule and how backlogged they are.

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Timeline

As far as being able to visit while the K-1 is pending is also totally dependant on the country. Canada and the UK can get a visitor's visa fairly easily...Africa...you can completely and totally forget it...it will never happen. It also won't happen in any other MENA country either. It's not even an option. If it was that easy, that would be wonderful...but for most of us, it's not.

Edited by Ben and Jill

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Me and my fiance applied for his visa in March this year (2011) and still haven't heard anything, we are still waiting. He lives in Bulgaria and I'm in the States. I'm getting impatient :( why is it taking so long? The 60 days is up they said would take :(

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My girlfriend already has a 10y tourist visa...but that doesnt affect the timing correct? And the country is Argentina.

Could she be in the states during the wait and at some part fly back to Argentina and re-enter with the new visa?

In theory, yes. However having a K1 petition filed on her behalf the CBP officer could not allow her entry as the petition shows that she has immigrant intent.. She, as always, would need to show strong ties to home at the US border.

Additionally, before any long trip here you two should examine all the needed steps and documents for the process so that she would be prepared. Things such as the medical exam take place in Argentina. Obtaining the needed Argentinian police records. The visa interview at the US embassy. Etc.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I dont see alot of petitiions going thru caracas.. So I hope that is a good sign..

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi,

Thanks

Yes plus or minus.

My girlfriend already has a 10y tourist visa...but that doesnt affect the timing correct? And the country is Argentina.

Could she be in the states during the wait and at some part fly back to Argentina and re-enter with the new visa?

Yes maybe.....she might be turned away at POE if they determine she will stay and not honor the need to return. The K-1 filing will show up in their computers and they have to make a decision.

Be prepared to have her stay away for the process. It will be a serious test of your relationship; the strong ones survive.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi,

Thanks

6-9 months, presently, until the visa is in your hand. DO NOT make any wedding plans around that estimate or buy any plane tickets until the visa is IN YOUR HAND.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

As far as being able to visit while the K-1 is pending is also totally dependant on the country. Canada and the UK can get a visitor's visa fairly easily...Africa...you can completely and totally forget it...it will never happen. It also won't happen in any other MENA country either. It's not even an option. If it was that easy, that would be wonderful...but for most of us, it's not.

Canada, UK and 15 other countries do not need tourist visas at all. Just a passport.

We live at the Canadian border and we and the Canadians travel freely back and forth whenever we want, even just to go out for dinner. At any time about a 1/3 of the lisence plates at the local mall are from Quebec.

If a person has a legal way to enter the USA during the process, they may. Subject to all the normal precautions. Holding a tourist visa has no affect on the length of time a K-1 taes to process.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Canada, UK and 15 other countries do not need tourist visas at all. Just a passport.

We live at the Canadian border and we and the Canadians travel freely back and forth whenever we want, even just to go out for dinner. At any time about a 1/3 of the lisence plates at the local mall are from Quebec.

If a person has a legal way to enter the USA during the process, they may. Subject to all the normal precautions. Holding a tourist visa has no affect on the length of time a K-1 taes to process.

Would petitioner's employement facilitate criminal background check and speed the process? For example... NYPD police officer...?

Sorry if this is off topic... I didnt see the point on making a new thread for that question.

Thank you!

K1
10/04/2011 - I-129F sent [/font]
10/06/2011 - I-129F received at USCIS/Dallas and routed to Vermont
10/12/2011 - NOA1 email and text message + check cashed. (NOA1 hardcopy date is Oct 11)
12/20/2011 - She went to the US with a tourist visa to spend 2 weeks with him
01/27/2012 - NOA2 (hard copy came in the mail on Feb 1 + text message, email and website update)
02/13/2012 - SENT EMAIL TO RIO DE JANEIRO CONSULATE TO GET INTERVIEW DATE
04/03/2012 - INTERVIEW IN RIO DE JANEIRO - APPROVED
04/10/2012 - Passport with visa + sealed envelope received [/color]
08/27/2012 - POE Atlanta
09/01/2012 - Married!

AOS
09/25/2012 - AOS + EAD + AP sent
09/27/2012 - AOS package received in Chicago
10/02/2012 - Text messages + email received with 3 case numbers showing NOA for EAD + AP Sep 28/ NOA I-485 Oct 1
10/03/2012 - Check cashed $1,070.00
12/07/2012 - EAD + Travel Permit combo card

07/22/2013 - GC approved

07/25/2013 - GC in production

07/29/2013 - GC received

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

05/14/2015 - Package sent

05/18/2015 - Package received in Vermont

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.