Dustin C

Oath during K-1 Visa Interview

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello Fellow VJ Members,

I just heard this morning from my fiance, that her friend went for her K-1 Visa interview at the U.S. Embassy in Kiev, Ukraine, and was asked to recite an oath in English, but she was unable to do so in English so she was denied.... She mentioned that the interviewer was American started the interview in English and did not know Russian (supposedly). I do not know the other circumstances of this interview, other than the girl did not know English that well, and it had been 14 months since she last saw her petitioner. I also heard they don't communicate daily. So I wonder if not enough evidence contributed to this denial as well. I'm trying to get more details on the situation today from my fiance.

Does anyone have a copy of this "oath" anywhere just in case so my fiance can practice?

Thank you!

Dustin

P.S. I didn't know whether to post this question here or in the Russian, Ukraine, Belarus forum section...

Ukraine babes rule!

Make sure you update your timeline!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I am not sure but saw this on another site, "It is important to show the consul/immigration officer that the visa applicant has the ability to communicate (with his/her American fiancee’ or husband) in English language. In most cases, language will not be a problem at the visa interview. It is the lack of sufficient evidence of a legimate relationship that usually causes denial. In terms of documentation, all non-english documents must be accompanied by a notary assured English translation. The translation must include a statement signed by translator that the translation is accurate." If you cannot communicate in English they may/will doubt your relationships validity. Look at other Ukraine postings for K1.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Hello Fellow VJ Members,

I just heard this morning from my fiance, that her friend went for her K-1 Visa interview at the U.S. Embassy in Kiev, Ukraine, and was asked to recite an oath in English, but she was unable to do so in English so she was denied.... She mentioned that the interviewer was American started the interview in English and did not know Russian (supposedly). I do not know the other circumstances of this interview, other than the girl did not know English that well, and it had been 14 months since she last saw her petitioner. I also heard they don't communicate daily. So I wonder if not enough evidence contributed to this denial as well. I'm trying to get more details on the situation today from my fiance.

Does anyone have a copy of this "oath" anywhere just in case so my fiance can practice?

Thank you!

Dustin

P.S. I didn't know whether to post this question here or in the Russian, Ukraine, Belarus forum section...

Recite oath in English???? Seriously, I doubt that they would ever ask it. I just want to know how many people who leave in US, and speak english can do that.

I think there is more red flags in this case. As you mentioned they don't communicate daily and didn't see each other for over a year, this is somewhat long. Especially since USC doesn't need visa to travel to Ukraine.

This is at first I hear something like that about Kyiv Embassy, my fiancee is also in Kyiv, luckily I sent her to the English courses, so she can start learning before she come here.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

what OATH!?

maybe it was a passage to read?.. your friend could have been LOST IN TRANSLATION

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Timeline

Recite oath in English???? Seriously, I doubt that they would ever ask it. I just want to know how many people who leave in US, and speak english can do that.

I think there is more red flags in this case. As you mentioned they don't communicate daily and didn't see each other for over a year, this is somewhat long. Especially since USC doesn't need visa to travel to Ukraine.

This is at first I hear something like that about Kyiv Embassy, my fiancee is also in Kyiv, luckily I sent her to the English courses, so she can start learning before she come here.

Yeah that's what I was thinking... I also have been having my fiance go to English classes as well, but she is still paranoid about this. My fiance and I communicate daily via Skype, e-mail, or text message and I think her English has improved well in the past 5 months. We have tons of evidence for her interview in one week. I also bought the 5 level set of Rosetta Stone for her for $300 (normally $500) from Borders Bookstore when it closed, so I am going to have her study English with once she comes to continue to help her.

I just can't wait for this madness to be over with...

Edited by Dustin C

Ukraine babes rule!

Make sure you update your timeline!

what OATH!?

maybe it was a passage to read?.. your friend could have been LOST IN TRANSLATION

I have never heard you are required to read a passage either during K-1 interview especially in Kyiv.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I have never heard you are required to read a passage either during K-1 interview especially in Kyiv.

i am sure of that.. but i was just wondering that is this "oath".. that seemed strange.. but this seems like its your part of the world.. i will excuse myself :)

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Yeah that's what I was thinking... I also have been having my fiance go to English classes as well, but she is still paranoid about this. My fiance and I communicate daily via Skype, e-mail, or text message and I think her English has improved well in the past 5 months. We have tons of evidence for her interview in one week. I also bought the 5 level set of Rosetta Stone for her for $300 (normally $500) from Border Bookstore when it closed, so I am going to have her study English with once she comes to continue to help her.

I just can't wait for this madness to be over with...

I am with you. I just couldn't wait for my NOA-2 and going to visit my fiancee for the Christmas Holidays. We are alos communicating daily I have ton's of evidence to proove it. I just want her here near me!!!

I got Rosetta Stone here, so it is all ready for her, when she comes :)

Though we can speak russian to each other, so no language barrier here.

Edited by Oksana & Max
event.png

event.png

Can the boyfriend speak Russian? How much English can the girlfriend speak?

Since they are in the 2 year requirement for meeting - that in itself is not grounds for denial.

Communicating daily? again, not really grounds for denial.

I have not heard of an "oath" - perhaps others going through that embassy will pipe in.

If she was denied - they would tell her the specific reason why - and the petitioner would be notified - find out exactly why, then better answers can come.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Ummm the English speaking part doesn't sound like a Red flag to me, what if the petitioner speaks the same language as the beneficiary??...

I guess that IT is a red flag when there is not a language in common for both parts.

If the beneficiary doesn't speak at least basic English and the petitioner doesn't speak any of the languages understood by the beneficiary then some eye brows should be raised.

Timeline

It is an oath to tell the truth. Alla had her interview and all discussions in Russian. She repeated the oath in English. If you do not state the oath you do not get an interview. She was not "denied" she had no interview. make another interview date and go back.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

It is an oath to tell the truth, it was given to her by the guy collecting documents

"I, (name) promise to tell the truth" basically.

Kiev has never made much of an issue of a common language, not that I have heard anyway. Review the Ukraine consulate reviews.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Not sure about Kiev , but Dublin was. Both to tell the truth and also promise to marry the petitioner within the 90 day window. I attended interview

It is an oath to tell the truth, it was given to her by the guy collecting documents

Kiev has never made much of an issue of a common language, not that I have heard anyway. Review the Ukraine consulate reviews.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

i am sure of that.. but i was just wondering that is this "oath".. that seemed strange.. but this seems like its your part of the world.. i will excuse myself :)

It is strange. How much money does this man send to this fiance on a regular basis?

We've seen a couple of scams from Ukraine in the last couple of years where the man was sending regular money and then the fiance went for the interview.....but "was denied or refused" and she suggested they refile......all just to keep the regular money flowing. She never had an intention to immigrate. Imagine if she's got a few men sending regular monies? Just saying.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Ah - yeah - that makes sense.

strange they wouldn't ask it in Russian. (sorry, the firefox line "think Russian" keeps popping into my mind) -

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.