Sergio AD

Girlfriend in Peru will be 18 in May.

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

that's good, that you're planning so far in advance.

I'd bet it's going to be difficult for you to get a visa for her, just because of both your young ages.

I'm not trying to be discouraging.

It's just my bet, all things considered.

I'm probably wrong.

07/27/2011...........NOA1 received.

12/05/2011...........RFE received.

12/13/2011...........RFE response sent.

12/16/2011...........RFE RESPONSE received by Vermont S.C.

12/22/2011...........Teased by a text-message from uscis, saying they have received my response to the RFE.

12/30/2011...........LA VISA APROVADOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

01/12/2012...........Case Sent To Bogota Colombia, from the National Visa Center.

02/09/2012...........Schedule Interview.

03/23/2012...........Interview (to take place then)!

04/07/2012...........Arrived in USA.

07/01/2012...........MARRIED!

What next?

.......How the days DO slip away!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

To make the story short you asked which were your options and everyone gave you their opinion on helped you oversee many possible scenarios of your situation.

As none of us know which will be the "state of mind" of your adjudicator and later the Embassy interviewer, is best for you to consult your case

with a immigration lawyer who could advise you on when and how to make this a successful application by reducing your potential WHAT IFS.

Good Luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Ok, thanks guys! Helped a lot.

As another possibility, if I marry her in Peru and apply for K-3, will there be any "proof" required just as in the K-1?

sergio ad, seriously your case is very complex. you will not have a problem if you petition for your fiancee if you go the k1 route or the k3. The problem is the point at which the relationship started, that's the problem. If you were not a US citizen at the time it might not make a difference now, but you were.

If you don't have the money to talk to a lawyer, I'm sure you can find an agency that will assist you to find one to ask your question. All you need to know from a experience lawyer will you have a legal problem on your hand because the of the age of your fiancee when the relationship started. she just turned 15 when the relationship started.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

As another possibility, if I marry her in Peru and apply for K-3, will there be any "proof" required just as in the K-1?

I am just making a guess here... this is just a gut feeling and a suggestion. I think it might be wise for you to marry her in Peru, when she is at least 18 years old. Document everything.... your trip (passport stamps - airline itinerary & boarding passes - hotels, etc.)... take lots of pics with you, her & her family.... and obviously you will need a Certificate of Marriage (in whatever form that comes in from Peru). Then, file the I-130 and supporting docs and go that route.

The reason I make this suggestion is that, in my view, once you have married her (and she is at least 18), and you can prove it with the Certificate of Marriage, then the likelihood of problems about when you met and how old she was at the time are probably reduced substantially, or eliminated altogether. Having said all this, I would still recommend you first consult an attorney for some guidance.

Our wedding pics with music...

http://animoto.com/play/SA1SIQmniZA5gRc3pxkDEA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Yes. Fiancee visa or spouse visa requires similar proof of relationship.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Ok, great.

Thank you very much guys for the looking out.

I will consult an immigration lawyer about my case. Either way I think it will be better for me to wait until she is 18. I was planning on moving down there and be with her for a while anyways so it'll work out.

Appreciate it guys!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Cultural norms. Is it normal in Peru for women to date men that are older? I know of a Brazil couple, who started to date when one was 21, other was 16. Filed for a K-1 when she hit 18. Process went fine, all the consulate asked was "Do you think you are a little young to get married" and he said she answered it just fine, consulare said ok, grats here is the visa.

They are in the US now, married and happy and there was 0 problems. But then again it is more or less normal for girls to date guys a little older than them in Brazil.

Just wait til she is 18 and file. Have the proof as needed and don't worry.

A lot of cautionary information balancing on fear mongering in this thread and personal opinion which does not approve of such types of relationships since it is not U.S. norm.

Filed: Country:
Timeline
A lot of cautionary information balancing on fear mongering in this thread and personal opinion which does not approve of such types of relationships since it is not U.S. norm.

Not sure what you mean by "balancing on fear mongering" maybe you meant to say "bordering on"?

Anyways, its not "fear mongering". Do a little research on how aggressive the US is when it comes to US Citizens and Sex Crimes, seriously. It was only recently (like within the last decade or so) that the US decided it's able to charge and prosecute US Citizens for Sex Crimes (by US definitions despite what's legal locally) but that it would actually do it. This was in part brought on by the increasing utilization of International "Sex Tourism" Trade by US Citizens in poorer (usually SE Asian) countries that got high-profile media attention at the time.

The risk is real and if the CO becomes aware of a US Citizen being involved in a physical (Sexual) relationship with a local minor they may be not just compelled by their own conscience but by Mandated Reporting Laws to pass the information along to Law Enforcement.

Honestly it hasn't even been established that the OP had any such physical contact with the girl and it would be stupid of him to admit it here if he did.

Seriously it would irresponsible for someone who is aware of this to not warn the OP so that he can proceed with due caution. I know if it was me I would think about maybe holding of for a year just so that there might not be as many questions about her age at the beginning of the relationship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.