jui_uy

Affidavit of Support and Divorce Decree

32 posts in this topic

DIVORCE DECREE: Maybe if you sent cert copy on the I-129F application, a regular copy on the interview is ok. But it's just a regular photocopy on the application, they will ask for the cert true copy or original. Do I make sense? This has been a long confusing and everyone's got different answer.

in my case and others case it worked... it depends on the Pre-screener/ CO who will gonna conduct the interview... that's why i said in my previous post they accept copies/ scan or if u can provide orig. much better... :yes:;)

USCIS always accepts copies of any document for case approval. Even the instructions state that copies are fine.

Consular interview is different. Most times you will be asked to produce originals of "important" documents, such as birth certs; police reports; divorce decrees. This is done because people have been known to forge these documents, so the consulate may wish to see the original. One should plan on having originals on hand for any consulate.

The subject of divorce decrees is confusing because no one can ever have the "original". The "original" with the judge's signature is always on file with the Clerk's office in whatever county/parish the divorce occurred. However, the clerk's office can always provide you with a "certified copy" of a decree. "Certified" in the legal world means certified by the court to be a true and accurate copy of the original. Certification is accomplished by the Clerk/Registrar placing their seal or signature on the document, thereby authenticating the document. DOS will always accept a certified copy.

:yes::thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by marklovetina
N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

in my case and others case it worked... it depends on the Pre-screener/ CO who will gonna conduct the interview... that's why i said in my previous post they accept copies/ scan or if u can provide orig. much better... :yes:;)

:yes::thumbs::thumbs:

Hi Tina, Could you please explain what you meant ,"In my case and others it worked"? Thanks!

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Why take a chance? Just because one person got away with it doesn't mean you are going to get away with it.

Use certified copies of divorce papers. Also, use an original I-134.

Why take a chance? Just because one person got away with it doesn't mean you are going to get away with it.

Exactly.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Hi Tina, Could you please explain what you meant ,"In my case and others it worked"? Thanks!

^_^, in US Embassy,Manila they accept copies/ scan of docs. like itr , W2, paystub,- here in US u can download it online...

I-134 (no need to be notarize)

Divorce Decree: if u can provide CTC then good... but as Rebbeca Jo said no Orig. copy bcoz it is kept in Clerk's ofc. all u can have is CTC.. but in Manila, they accept even just a copy too, i did that once and even the others did that too... i even asked the Pre-screener if she needs my husband's Divorce decree and she said she didnt need it bcoz they already have it when my fiance sent our I-129F packet... but of course CO are different that's why better to have a CTC if u can provide... ;)

but anyways, how are u? did u had ur interview already...? :star::wub:

Edited by marklovetina
N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

Timeline

I agree with what Tahoma said. It is better go at the interview prepared than be sorry. Just like what I previously stated. I carried with me both the Original and scanned copies. When I get there, they handed a tiny checklist saying to prepare original copies or some documents which included the divorce paper in it. When I approached the filipino screener, sure enough he asked for the original. I even told the filipino guy I have scanned copies as well as the original but they took the original. With regards to the divorce decree they surely did not want to see the scanned copies but was particular with the original or let say the one having the seal and clerks signature.

Timeline

I agree with what Tahoma said. It is better go at the interview prepared than be sorry. Just like what I previously stated. I carried with me both the Original and scanned copies. When I get there, they handed a tiny checklist saying to prepare original copies or some documents which included the divorce paper in it. When I approached the filipino screener, sure enough he asked for the original. I even told the filipino guy I have scanned copies as well as the original but they took the original. With regards to the divorce decree they surely did not want to see the scanned copies but was particular with the original or let say the one having the seal and clerks signature.

so what you are saying they dont want the copy with the judges signature and seal?

received May 2nd 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

Timeline

^_^, in US Embassy,Manila they accept copies/ scan of docs. like itr , W2, paystub,- here in US u can download it online...

I-134 (no need to be notarize)

Divorce Decree: if u can provide CTC then good... but as Rebbeca Jo said no Orig. copy bcoz it is kept in Clerk's ofc. all u can have is CTC.. but in Manila, they accept even just a copy too, i did that once and even the others did that too... i even asked the Pre-screener if she needs my husband's Divorce decree and she said she didnt need it bcoz they already have it when my fiance sent our I-129F packet... but of course CO are different that's why better to have a CTC if u can provide... ;)

but anyways, how are u? did u had ur interview already...? :star::wub:Hi Tina we r doing fine no interview yet.Just as we got approved for NOA2 her dad got diagnosed with Cancer of the throat. so we had to postpone everything so she could help with her dads care in Cebu at the hospital. it was a trying time for both of us but with gods help we back on track. he was in the Hospital over a Month. She and her sisters took shifts attending to him. but with Gods help after the operations hes doing....ok Now so we back on track. I emailed the USEM about the situation and they gave us extension to March 2012. so thanks to that but we good to go now.............thanks for asking!!!

Edited by southcalhog

received May 2nd 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Preparing for AOS

" _ Volitaire- "

Timeline

so what you are saying they dont want the copy with the judges signature and seal?

they asked to see the offical divorce paper with the seal of the court and signature of the clerk of court. They declined to see the scanned copy of it. tho on my cae I have both so I had no problem giving him the official divorce paper. they read it and asked me few questions.

Timeline

they asked to see the offical divorce paper with the seal of the court and signature of the clerk of court. They declined to see the scanned copy of it. tho on my cae I have both so I had no problem giving him the official divorce paper. they read it and asked me few questions.

If you submitted original copies at the USCIS and they forwarded that packet to USEM, you not even need it or they may not even ask for it anymore like when i had my interview, although i was ready and have an original copy. if you still have time, i suggest you try to get them, if not, you can take the risk of showing scanned copy and hope they will be satisfied with it.

Earn a $15 Gift Card!http://refer.xoom.com/a/clk/2BjwkwUse ENJOYDEC code to send free :)

Timeline

Noted! Thank you all...

I already asked my fiance to go to the court and asked for a certified true copy of their divorce decree...

Batter be safe than sorry, right?

Noted! Thank you all...

I already asked my fiance to go to the court and asked for a certified true copy of their divorce decree...

Batter be safe than sorry, right?

Timeline

I have seen some people say "Yes" to certified Copys and some said just copys.So i took it on myself to Email the USEM at.......IVManilareplies@state.gov.. they emailed me back and said just photo copies will do. I have the Email. But you know what? I am still going to get a certified copy just in case......That old saying...."A hint to the Wise is sufficient"! Better be safe than sorry!:thumbs:

received May 2nd 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Preparing for AOS

" _ Volitaire- "

Timeline

Also, you never know what the CFO will ask for. They may want a certified copy. :o:help:

You Right!!:thumbs:

received May 2nd 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Preparing for AOS

" _ Volitaire- "

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.