raymondreason

who in their right mind would sign the I-864????

122 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Armenia
Timeline

I myself have always been against a prenuptial agreement. Not because i want to throw caution to the wind, but because the state has fair community property laws to protect both parties should the worst happen,

I'm not a fan of pre-nups, but community property laws are not fair by any stretch of the imagination. This notion that income should be shared as if both had earned it is preposterous to me; it's one of the worst kinds of wealth redistributions out there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Raymondreason- You are absolutely correct. I can honestly say that for myself, signing this document will be one of the most foolish things I have ever done in my life. The things we'll do for love. Fortunately, similar to you I have been with my fiance for over 5 years... but signing this document will still be one of the stupidest things I have ever done.

Gary you are incorrect. If the immigrant doesn't work for 40 "qualifying"quarters one could be hooked for life. Reading how many of the folks on this board struggle to reach the poverty level, do you really think their foreign spouse is going to come here and start making over the poverty level? You said that people can get their Citizenship much faster. That's just it. If they divorce after say 2 or 3 years, new friends, attorneys, etc are all going to tell her to absolutely NOT get her citizenship. My ex-wife didn't get her citizenship till about 15 years after we married. In fact, she asked me if she should go ahead and get it. I told her I don't really care. We won't over the plusses if she's a citizen and the negatives and she went ahead and got it. This I-864 deal was never an issue as it didn't exist when I married her in the 90's. However, as good as friends that we are, which we are pretty good friends, I guarantee you she would milk me for every penny she could. Not because she's that kind of person, more because all her friends would convince her to telling her I'm obligated to her etc. By the way, my exwife didn't work for 5 or so years after we married. I would have been potentially screwed had the I-864 existed in the 90s.

The I-864 places a rediculous burden on the USC potentially for life. No way in hell would I co-sign for anyone either... not even a family member. I have seen so many people post here about how the USC fiance trusts them, and their family trusts them (which is why they are co-signing). That right there tells me that folks do not understand this agreement. It has nothing to do with how much the USC trusts or loves their fiance or how much the co-signer trusts the fiance.

Edited by Ready to do it

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Well,

Life is a series of choices - some made correctly and some made incorrectly.

The bottom line is that if you fall in love with a non USC and want to share your life with him/her here in the good ole USA, you're GONNA sign that form. It's as simple as that...

K-1 JOURNEY

157 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO NOA-2

181 DAYS FROM NOA-1 TO INTERVIEW

07/14/2011 - I-129F sent via FedEx to USCIS
07/15/2011 - Arrived at CSC, signed for by E. Jameson
07/15/2011 - NOA-1 (E-Mail)
07/19/2011 - NOA-1 (Hard Copy)
08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - NOA-2 (E-Mail)
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
12/23/2011 - NOA-2 (Hard Copy)
12/27/2011 - NVC Received
12/28/2011 - San Jose Embassy Case Number Assigned
12/29/2011 - NVC Sent Petition via DHL to Embassy
12/30/2011 - Embassy Received Petition, signed for by J. Rodriguez
01/04/2011 - Medical
01/09/2011 - Packet 3 Received
01/12/2011 - Embassy Interview - Approved
01/19/2011 - Visa Received
01/21/2012 - POE (Ft. Lauderdale, FL - USA)
01/23/2012 - SSA Issued Fresy's SSN
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

It has nothing to do with how much the USC trusts or loves their fiance or how much the co-signer trusts the fiance.

so what is it to do with then?????

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Timeline

im starting to get the feeling that quite a few people on here seem to think that most immigrants have no intention of working and supporting themselves and are just there to screw the USC for all they can get

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Timeline

im starting to get the feeling that quite a few people on here seem to think that most immigrants have no intention of working and supporting themselves and are just there to screw the USC for all they can get

No, it's not about immigrants. It's about the basic fact that divorce brings out the worst in people. I would never have guessed my ex-wife would raid my 401k, but after a meeting or two with her lawyer and her sociopathic mother (who cleaned out her own ex), she was more than happy to raid it for all she could. Luckily for me, my understanding of tax code and her lawyer's stupidity saved me a few bucks, but still, it was a painful loss.

Timeline

I don't get that impression. I think the overall sentiment of the board is that we can't wait to get our loved ones here with us to finally begin living our lives together - and accept that love means having trust (which is a 2 way street).

K-1 JOURNEY

08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
01/04/2011 - Medical
02/18/2012 - Wedding

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Life is not measured by the breaths you take. Rather, life is measured by the moments that take your breath away!

Timeline

love means having trust (which is a 2 way street).

:thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Raymondreason- You are absolutely correct. I can honestly say that for myself, signing this document will be one of the most foolish things I have ever done in my life. The things we'll do for love. Fortunately, similar to you I have been with my fiance for over 5 years... but signing this document will still be one of the stupidest things I have ever done.

Gary you are incorrect. If the immigrant doesn't work for 40 "qualifying"quarters one could be hooked for life. Reading how many of the folks on this board struggle to reach the poverty level, do you really think their foreign spouse is going to come here and start making over the poverty level? You said that people can get their Citizenship much faster. That's just it. If they divorce after say 2 or 3 years, new friends, attorneys, etc are all going to tell her to absolutely NOT get her citizenship. My ex-wife didn't get her citizenship till about 15 years after we married. In fact, she asked me if she should go ahead and get it. I told her I don't really care. We won't over the plusses if she's a citizen and the negatives and she went ahead and got it. This I-864 deal was never an issue as it didn't exist when I married her in the 90's. However, as good as friends that we are, which we are pretty good friends, I guarantee you she would milk me for every penny she could. Not because she's that kind of person, more because all her friends would convince her to telling her I'm obligated to her etc. By the way, my exwife didn't work for 5 or so years after we married. I would have been potentially screwed had the I-864 existed in the 90s.

The I-864 places a rediculous burden on the USC potentially for life. No way in hell would I co-sign for anyone either... not even a family member. I have seen so many people post here about how the USC fiance trusts them, and their family trusts them (which is why they are co-signing). That right there tells me that folks do not understand this agreement. It has nothing to do with how much the USC trusts or loves their fiance or how much the co-signer trusts the fiance.

There is absolutely nothing incorrect about saying the obligation under the I-864 terminates when the immigrant becomes a citizen. That is what I said and that is 100% correct. That can occur in about 4 years.

If you file joint tax returns your spouse accummulates "quarters" toward SS even if she does not work. As long as she has an SSN she gets them. If she works, she also she gets 8 quarters per year (4 of yours and 4 of hers if filing jointly) and therefore meets the qualification in 5 years. That is another way to meet the obligation. Check her annual SS statement, you will see. Alla already has 24 quarters on her statement. She has only been here three years.

I am not losing any sleep over it, but then, I sleep naked with Alla, and haven't had a bad day since, so what is the I-864 to me?

The INTENT of marrying my wife was to be "on the hook" to her for the rest of my life. I hope so. IF we got divorced, heaven forbid, I would be way money ahead. :lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

No, it's not about immigrants. It's about the basic fact that divorce brings out the worst in people. I would never have guessed my ex-wife would raid my 401k, but after a meeting or two with her lawyer and her sociopathic mother (who cleaned out her own ex), she was more than happy to raid it for all she could. Luckily for me, my understanding of tax code and her lawyer's stupidity saved me a few bucks, but still, it was a painful loss.

The money or the wife?

I couldn't care less about the money.

I have this (probably cracked up stupid, silly) theory that it is easier to be a good husband and father and results in a lot less stress than to get divorced. :unsure: I focus my efforts in that direction and never blinked about signing the I-864

I mean, who is going to divorce a good husband and father? Especially a good husband and father that has money? Those aren't exactly just growing on trees.

Just make your family number one and sleep well.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The money or the wife?

I couldn't care less about the money.

I have this (probably cracked up stupid, silly) theory that it is easier to be a good husband and father and results in a lot less stress than to get divorced. :unsure: I focus my efforts in that direction and never blinked about signing the I-864

I mean, who is going to divorce a good husband and father? Especially a good husband and father that has money? Those aren't exactly just growing on trees.

Just make your family number one and sleep well.

Well said! :thumbs:

K-1 JOURNEY

08/01/2011 - Touched
12/19/2011 - Touched
12/22/2011 - X-Ray
12/22/2011 - Lab Work
01/04/2011 - Medical
02/18/2012 - Wedding

Timeline

The money or the wife?

In this case, the money was the only loss; I was happy to be done with her, and luckily never had any kids with her. The money never impacted my standard of living, in my mellow moments I write it off mentally as just tuition one pays for a valuable lesson.

I agree with you about doing your part to be a good husband (and eventually father), but sometimes you make a bad choice and it's better to get out. Someone once said, "why is divorce so expensive? Because it's worth it." This was one such example.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Seriously?

This thread is getting kind of insulting.

I work my #### off every day. When I'm not at work I get calls from my employees and stress about not being at work. I bust my butt to save every penny so that I can contribute when I move for as long as it takes me to get another job. The only reason I'm giving up my job is to move to the US because I love my fiance. If we divorced, I'd probably high tail it back to Canada to get my free health care.

If the USC has the slightest fear about signing this for a fiance(e), I wouldn't suggest getting married.

Not all of us are leeches that want to exploit our American fiance(e)'s. Does it happen? Sure. How some of you are talking about it is offensive.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Where have you read this or do you have any case law? I asked this exact question... a few times on this forum.

My income is not on my ex-wifes SS statement from when we were married?

If you file joint tax returns your spouse accummulates "quarters" toward SS even if she does not work. As long as she has an SSN she gets them. If she works, she also she gets 8 quarters per year (4 of yours and 4 of hers if filing jointly) and therefore meets the qualification in 5 years.

Edited by Ready to do it

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Timeline

In this case, the money was the only loss; I was happy to be done with her, and luckily never had any kids with her. The money never impacted my standard of living, in my mellow moments I write it off mentally as just tuition one pays for a valuable lesson.

I agree with you about doing your part to be a good husband (and eventually father), but sometimes you make a bad choice and it's better to get out. Someone once said, "why is divorce so expensive? Because it's worth it." This was one such example.

Thats a shame. I can honestly say my wife and children are really my joy in life. If I found $20 on the street I would give it to one of the kids. There is nothing I can buy for $20 that would give me more pleasure.

Seriously, I will do whatever I CAN do or whatever I MUST do for them. I-864? phhhhhhhhtttt! :P 'tis nothing but a thing.

Worry about your health! I nearly got out of my I-864 by almost croaking a year after signing it. Hope that doesn't happen, OK? Hey, after that sh*t, nothing else scares you. :lol:

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.