AKSinghSingh79

Is it just me or has going through immigration really put wedding planning into perspective?

64 posts in this topic

I love this!

We had the most simple wedding ever. I had no dress,...

:wow:

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Now, This is delightful! I love SteamPunk - it is so incredibly creative and 'fun' - and you are making your wedding so uniquely your own in a way that means something to you - and you are having fun with it :yes: . Bravo!

When I was younger I thought I would love to have a reproduction Regency style wedding (as a War of 1812 re-enactor, it fit). However, by the time Joe and I met the re-enactment wedding just didn't fit anymore and we wanted something simple but meaningful for the two of us. I had planned to make my dress - not a wedding dress but something that felt right for me - and while looking for fabric in a discount fabric warehouse, totally unexpectedly came across 'my dress'. A designer had left some dresses at a fabric store that went out of business and when they were not able to locate her, the dresses and inventory ended up being bought by the warehouse. Out of curiosity, I looked at them and they really were lovely - and all one of a kind. Then, I found mine. It was so perfect that everyone who saw it said it looked like it had been designed for me. It also fit perfectly and was on sale at $75 (original price was over $880)! so, I bought it even though we had only just started the K-1 process.

When it came time for our wedding, everything else fell perfectly into place just like the dress. Through a mutual friend we had met socially a Judge who we both liked. A few weeks later, we asked if he would marry us and he said he was happy to do so. He didn't charge a fee for marrying people, but did ask them to make a donation to a charity of their choice in lieu.

We thought that getting married outside in some sort of a gazebo in a park setting would be really nice but were having trouble finding the right location. While visiting a heritage antebellum mansion site north of where we live, we toured their heritage gardens - and found the perfect spot - a lovely little garden arbor over the entrance to the gardens. We asked the site if they allowed weddings and explained that we wanted something very small with only a handful of people out in the garden and it would be outside of their regular operating hours. They said they didn't normally do that but would ask their Board. We gave them the details of our request, along with the name of the Judge who would be doing the ceremony - and the woman smiled. It turns out he was one of their long term supporters and benefactors. A week or so later, we got our permission as long as we were willing to make a donation to the site in exchange. We were obviously happy to do so and made a donation both to the site for the wedding and then increased the amount to cover the donation requested by the Judge. We figured that was appropriate.

So,on the hottest day of the year to date, in the shade of the garden arbor, with a good friend standing with me, her husband, her daughter and my father as witnesses we were married. I had made the bouquets we carried and my Dad, who was a hobby photographer, took the photos. We then walked to a little bakery cafe in the village with everyone waving and honking as we went by - and with no reservations, walked in to have a lovely after noon tea to celebrate. We then headed back to our house for dinner which Joe and I had already prepared before hand.

Our expenses were my dress, the marriage license, the donation to the historic site, afternoon tea for 7, a home cooked dinner for 6 and the flowers we carried. I made both bouquets with silk flowers from a local craft store, then to mine added two lovely beaded flowers a friend had made for me, and real lilies. My Dad took the real lilies back home with him to Canada and placed them on my Mom's grave and my bouquet is in a vase on display in the living room. It couldn't have been any nicer if we had spent a fortune - and we loved it.

That sounds so amazingly lovely!!! :)

Brandy + Ben = <3
Dating online since June 2009
Met Feb 23rd 2010
Lived together in US on J1 Visa since Sept 28th 2010
Got engaged on Sept 21st 2011 :)
He went back to Australia at the end of his J1 Visa on Sept 22nd 2011 :(

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011
Received: 10/27/2011
NOA1 dated: 10/31/2011
NOA1 received in mail: 11/4/2011

NOA2!!!!! 01/25/2012 in 86 days! :wow:
Married June 4th 2012 <3

Like "I Support Austramerican Relationships" on Facebook!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Interesting conversation going on. I like some of the creativeness that people have done. As well as the simplicity :)

One of my best friends from high school is getting married. She's doing a big wedding, mostly at her parents'd bidding. She complains about it to me all the time. lol.

On the other hand, my fiance and I are planning a civil marriage on the beach with my parents and grandma present at best. Maybe 4 or 5 other friends who live in my area. Not including the rings, it should cost less than $500. But, he'll be going to school. I'm going to eventually go back to school. We also want to buy a house within the next 5 years or so. So a big wedding is not really our priority. I've always been this way though. My mom and dad did a civil marriage, so there was no emphasis in my house to need something big like that. Though, my dad wants to have a reception in the summer time, a few months after the wedding. I'm sure that'll be enough "glitz" for me.

I think more so than anything. I don't care about how "big" the wedding is. lol. At this point, I just want him here!!!!!!

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. " ~ Louis Pasteur.

Met Online - 01/2010
Met in Person - 12/21/2010

Engaged - 12/31/2010

File - 07/26/2011

NOA1 - 08/02/2011

NOA2 - 12/22/2011 (e-mail notice)
Visa Approved - 03/13/2012

Married - 03/31/2012 <3

*Started the AOS process a bit late cuse I'm a slacker and suck

But, we've had no issues. It's coming along. Interview should

be shortly coming. Married life is great*

jest.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Interesting conversation going on. I like some of the creativeness that people have done. As well as the simplicity :)<div><br></div><div>One of my best friends from high school is getting married. She's doing a big wedding, mostly at her parents'd bidding. She complains about it to me all the time. lol.</div><div><br></div><div>On the other hand, my fiance and I are planning a civil marriage on the beach with my parents and grandma present at best. Maybe 4 or 5 other friends who live in my area. Not including the rings, it should cost less than $500. But, he'll be going to school. I'm going to eventually go back to school. We also want to buy a house within the next 5 years or so. So a big wedding is not really our priority. I've always been this way though. My mom and dad did a civil marriage, so there was no emphasis in my house to need something big like that. Though, my dad wants to have a reception in the summer time, a few months after the wedding. I'm sure that'll be enough "glitz" for me. </div><div><br></div><div>I think more so than anything. I don't care about how "big" the wedding is. lol. At this point, I just want him here!!!!!! </div>

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal. My strength lies solely in my tenacity. " ~ Louis Pasteur.

Met Online - 01/2010
Met in Person - 12/21/2010

Engaged - 12/31/2010

File - 07/26/2011

NOA1 - 08/02/2011

NOA2 - 12/22/2011 (e-mail notice)
Visa Approved - 03/13/2012

Married - 03/31/2012 <3

*Started the AOS process a bit late cuse I'm a slacker and suck

But, we've had no issues. It's coming along. Interview should

be shortly coming. Married life is great*

jest.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.