So has anyone considered moving to Africa instead of living here in America

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: no hard feelings! :D

Nov 9th 2010 Petition received at California Service Center

May 4th 2011 Received petition Approval letter

May 12th 2011 Received Letter from NVC stating info has been forwarded to Lagos consulate office

July 14th 2011 Received Fiancé Visa packet and interview date (via email)

Sept 20th 2011 Interview day! Visa not approved.. Requesting more proof :-(

Sept 28th 2011 Second interview scheduled for early December :-)

Dec 5th 2011 Interview rescheduled consulate office caught fire :-(

Dec 6th 2011 Visa APPROVED!!!! :-D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Apparently I have had many relatives seek their fortune there...I get emails all the time telling me about the many millions of dollars they have made there. :devil:

event.png

July 5, 2011 - Mailed 129f

July 8, 2011 - NOA1

July 10, 2011 - Touch

October 4, 2011 - NOA2

October 18, 2011 - NVC Receive

October 20, 2011 - NVC Depart

October 24, 2011 - Consulate Receive

November 28, 2011 - Appointment scheduled.

November 28, 2011 - Visa Approved!

December 2, 2011 - Visa in hand,

December 22, 2011 - Fly to Russia.

January 5, 2012 - Return together - POE - IAD (Dulles)

February 25. 2012 - Marriage

First of all The Island is safe for whites however, if you do research you will see that the cost of living is about 200,000 for a family of four to live to our standards here. Yes that is UDS not Naira. That being said, Nigeria as you know, is an emerging market. There is so much money to be made there & there are new US based companies moving over all the time. FINALLY, people are realizing that Nigeria is not just full of scammers (lets pass the word on to other VJrs please). It depends on you and what field you are looking in. Also, I would check into Ikeja for housing.

Eventually we will be moving to Imo State and I do fell safe there. As long as you do your research and find a good doctor ahead of time you should be ok. It really depends on the state you choose & how adventuresome you are. Some are not near as safe. I do worry that after awhile the novelty would wear off, but as long as you can afford to go back home frequently I bet you would love it.

First of all The Island is safe for whites however, if you do research you will see that the cost of living is about 200,000 for a family of four to live to our standards here. Yes that is UDS not Naira. That being said, Nigeria as you know, is an emerging market. There is so much money to be made there & there are new US based companies moving over all the time. FINALLY, people are realizing that Nigeria is not just full of scammers (lets pass the word on to other VJrs please). It depends on you and what field you are looking in. Also, I would check into Ikeja for housing.

Eventually we will be moving to Imo State and I do fell safe there. As long as you do your research and find a good doctor ahead of time you should be ok. It really depends on the state you choose & how adventuresome you are. Some are not near as safe. I do worry that after awhile the novelty would wear off, but as long as you can afford to go back home frequently I bet you would love it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The whole island isn't safe. I can not safely shop at the market downtown alone, I can't safely even drive alone. 2/3rd of my visits I have had an attempt to bagsnatch or mug me. Until I can move as freely there as I can here then it is not safe. Until the color of my skin isn't an increase in the risk to my health it is not safe there. You may be in an exclusive area but in the general areas of Lagos a white female is not safe on her own especilly in the evening.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

The whole island isn't safe. I can not safely shop at the market downtown alone, I can't safely even drive alone. 2/3rd of my visits I have had an attempt to bagsnatch or mug me. Until I can move as freely there as I can here then it is not safe. Until the color of my skin isn't an increase in the risk to my health it is not safe there. You may be in an exclusive area but in the general areas of Lagos a white female is not safe on her own especilly in the evening.

Yes, I meant on Victoria Island, Lekki, Ikoji... There I can go out by myself and I am not bothered at all. The rest of Lagos, no way at all.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

i hear there is a booming INTERNET MARKETING companies about of Lagos...

i get emails from them all the time..

:rofl:

seriously.. living in another country would be so cool!! hope you find what you need

It would be appropriate to not be so cynical or disrespectful toward others, but then I assume you consider yourself funny with your distasteful remark.

We are here to help each other not pass judgement or criticize each other :bonk: Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

@ Naijaboy

My hubby and I have been married for almost 5 years. Our original plan was for me to move to Ethiopia (thats where we met, I love Ethiopia and I wanted to learn more of his language). So we approached it from both angles, I applied for positions in Ethiopia (and grad school- I figured I defer 1 year, to live in Ethiopia) and began his paper work to come to the US. The visa came through first, so he moved to the US and I started my PhD program without the deferment. When I was seeking positions in Ethiopia, my husband advised me to look for positions where I was employed by a US company/organization but living in Ethiopia- as the pay was vastly different based on which country you were affiliated. Further investigation proved this to be correct (persons with the same job title were paid wildly different salaries that couldn't be explained by differences in experience, this observation was consistent).

Our goal is to create flexible situations for ourselves. Our long term goal is to eventually live in the US at least 3-6 months out of the year, spend 2-3 months of the year in Ethiopia, and travel the rest of the year. In order to achieve this long term goal, we've started 2 business that can be done anywhere in the world with an internet connection. We put a lot of time in these business, we choose things that were expensive to start up. Realistically, I think it will take 2-5 years before we're making enough money from these businesses that I could replace of our incomes. My husband was self-employed all his life, until he moved to the US. He misses the freedom and flexibility. We are planning for him to transition from being an employee to being self-employed in the next 1-2 years. I am making strides to grow my career so that I can command a higher salary and earn the ability to have alternate work arrangements.

I was fortunate enough (Blessed really!) to receive an offer from an amazing US company with projects in Ethiopia. I will be based in the US, with occasional travel to Ethiopia. Further, the company has emphasized that its very welcoming of alternate work schedules and arrangements (one person in our team actually lives in the UK, but flies to the US 2 times a year). If I stay with the company long term, I believe the office culture is such that I could successfully propose alternate work arrangements which they would agree to.

Anyway, advice is to think in terms of what YOU AND YOUR SPOUSE can do to achieve your goals (i.e. where you want to live and how you will support yourself financially). And seek opportunities from others that push you towards your goal (whether its a job in your home country, higher pay & better vacation/ flexible work arrangements in order to travel home more/live for several months).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: no hard feelings! :D

none taken.. good luck in what you choose... i would jump at chance to live/work in another country at least for awhile :)

Edited by skiptex

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Timeline

none taken.. good luck in what you choose... i would jump at chance to live/work in another country at least for awhile :)

yeah i think i would get home sick after a while myself!

May 12th 2011 Received Letter from NVC stating info has been forwarded to Lagos consulate office

Timeline

do some countries in Africa share a common currency like Europe does with the euro..

or does each county have their own..

Just google common currencies in Africa and that should give you your answer and stop wasting people time asking dumb questions :bonk:

Timeline

i hear there is a booming INTERNET MARKETING companies about of Lagos...

i get emails from them all the time..

:rofl:

seriously.. living in another country would be so cool!! hope you find what you need

Just as Venezuela is a source, transit, and destination country for men, women, and children trafficked for the purposes of commercial sexual exploitation and forced labor.

Filed: Country: American Samoa
Timeline

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

my broda u are about taking a big risk in Life. Though life itself is a rick. pray well about it and our good Lord will direct your path in a way u will love. dont jump to it untill u sick God. Must people in Nigeria get their money through back doors. check and pray first. i only left Nigeria 2 yrs back i had the best job anybody ever waanted, i put in some investment and i have retire to USA. i am 37 yrs. all the best

Timeline

@ Naijaboy

My hubby and I have been married for almost 5 years. Our original plan was for me to move to Ethiopia (thats where we met, I love Ethiopia and I wanted to learn more of his language). So we approached it from both angles, I applied for positions in Ethiopia (and grad school- I figured I defer 1 year, to live in Ethiopia) and began his paper work to come to the US. The visa came through first, so he moved to the US and I started my PhD program without the deferment. When I was seeking positions in Ethiopia, my husband advised me to look for positions where I was employed by a US company/organization but living in Ethiopia- as the pay was vastly different based on which country you were affiliated. Further investigation proved this to be correct (persons with the same job title were paid wildly different salaries that couldn't be explained by differences in experience, this observation was consistent).

Our goal is to create flexible situations for ourselves. Our long term goal is to eventually live in the US at least 3-6 months out of the year, spend 2-3 months of the year in Ethiopia, and travel the rest of the year. In order to achieve this long term goal, we've started 2 business that can be done anywhere in the world with an internet connection. We put a lot of time in these business, we choose things that were expensive to start up. Realistically, I think it will take 2-5 years before we're making enough money from these businesses that I could replace of our incomes. My husband was self-employed all his life, until he moved to the US. He misses the freedom and flexibility. We are planning for him to transition from being an employee to being self-employed in the next 1-2 years. I am making strides to grow my career so that I can command a higher salary and earn the ability to have alternate work arrangements.

I was fortunate enough (Blessed really!) to receive an offer from an amazing US company with projects in Ethiopia. I will be based in the US, with occasional travel to Ethiopia. Further, the company has emphasized that its very welcoming of alternate work schedules and arrangements (one person in our team actually lives in the UK, but flies to the US 2 times a year). If I stay with the company long term, I believe the office culture is such that I could successfully propose alternate work arrangements which they would agree to.

Anyway, advice is to think in terms of what YOU AND YOUR SPOUSE can do to achieve your goals (i.e. where you want to live and how you will support yourself financially). And seek opportunities from others that push you towards your goal (whether its a job in your home country, higher pay & better vacation/ flexible work arrangements in order to travel home more/live for several months).

Thanks for this! Very helpful! :thumbs:

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I can only speak for myself and my own experience in Nigeria, but I too agree that I don't think Nigeria is unsafe for whites. I've traveled as a young/attractive, white female twice and had LITERALLY zero issues. We traveled around Lagos, and outside of the city. I was treated as a celebrity and NEVER felt threatened or unsafe at any time.

Living in Lagos may be different then visiting, but the electricity issues and traffic/GO SLOW..are too crazy to get around freely and easily. It may make it hard to start a business. I think Nigeria may be there in a few years, but not at this moment. If you could establish a good business tho..there are PLENTY of good workers in Nigeria who need jobs. There are so few good ones available.

Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.