15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hello everybody!

Me and my fiance just got married on a K1 visa. Now we are working on the AOS forms. I am applying for a green card now and I have a couple questions.

• Do I need a biometric?

• I have a Social Security Card from my previous visit. It says that it is valid for work only. Do I need to go to SSOffice and get a new one?

Thank you in advance for the responses :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Everyone gets biometrics done when they get the letter of their appointment in the mail.

If you already have your SSN its yours for life you do not get a new one or a different one.

Your SSN is only valid for work with an EAD card or green card. Your SSN will say the same thing on it if you request a new card because your not allowed to work without one of thos documents.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

So we just gonna fill the forms and wait to get the letter of the appointment... Any ideas how long it all takes with the AOS and I-765?

These forums are very helpful!

Basically its 2-5 months waiting game for the greencard (case to case basis). somebody pls correct me if im wrong.

The EAD usually arrived first. 1-2 months.

Goodluck!

K-1 Timeline

October 26, 2010 - I-129F sent to VSC

November 2, 2010 - NOA 1 hard copy (dated Oct. 29, 2010)

November 5, 2010 - Touched

April 15, 2011 - NOA 2

June 21-22, 2011 - Medical (passed! Thank you Lord)

July 19, 2011 - Interview (passed! Thank you Lord)

August 11, 2011 - POE (JFK)

AOS Timeline

Sept. 26, 2011 - I-485 & EAD sent to Chicago Lock box

Sept. 28, 2011 - Text/Email notificaion receipt

Oct. 4, 2011 - NOA 1 hard copy for I-485 & EAD (dated Sept. 30,2011)

October 11, 2011 - Biometrics Letter received (appointment date November 2, 2011)

October 24, 2011 - I-485 transferred to CSC

November 2, 2011 - Bioemtrics done

Dec. 1, 2011 - EAD card production

Dec. 9, 2011 - EAD card on hand

Feb. 10, 2012 - Green Card production

Feb. 16, 2012 - Green Card on hand

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

-Mother Teresa

My Page

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

What you have to do is go to the SSN office and request a new SSN card. The number will never change, but your status in the US has changed with marriage (and immigration) and IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO THIS BEFORE FILING THE NEXT DOCUMENTS! It will deff save you some headaches... Card arrives in mail usually within 2 weeks...

I can't help you on the AOS topic though, but I'm sure a lot of other ppl can!

Congratulations again! :)

event.png

~ WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS - MAKE ORANGE JUICE AND LEAVE EVERYBODY WONDERING ~

USCIS
04-01-2010 NOA1
08-16-2010 NOA2

NVC
08-30-2010 NVC CASE# ASSIGNED
10-07-2010 EXPEDITION GRANTED!!! SIF!!!
10-21-2010 INTERVIEW - APPROVED!
11-02-2010 VISA IN HAND!

USA
11-08-2010 POE Philadelphia
12-07-2010 Welcome Letter and NOA for Green card
12-13-2010 GREEN CARD IN HAND!

ROC
09-04-2012 Filed ROC package (VSC)
09-07-2012 NOA 1
04-15-2013 ROC APPROVED!
04-20-2013 10 Year Green Card Received!

NATURALIZATION

02-20-2014 Application for Naturalization Package Mailed to NSC

02-23-2014 Application received by NSC

03-04-2014 Check for application fee cashed

03-08-2014 NOA came in the mail with notice date of 03-04-2014

03-17-2014 Received biometrics appointment letter in the mail

03-24-2014 Biometrics appointment in Tucson, AZ

05-13-2014 Interview at Tucson, AZ - PASS!

06-13-2014 Oath Ceremony in Tucson, AZ!

06-13-2014 I am a United States Citizen!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

SSS card good with work authorization. When you get GC get SSS card without stamp. You will get biometrics appointment after filing for AOS.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What you have to do is go to the SSN office and request a new SSN card. The number will never change, but your status in the US has changed with marriage (and immigration) and IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO THIS BEFORE FILING THE NEXT DOCUMENTS! It will deff save you some headaches... Card arrives in mail usually within 2 weeks...

I can't help you on the AOS topic though, but I'm sure a lot of other ppl can!

Congratulations again! :)

Can you explain why this is correct? My understanding was that she does NOT need to get a new SS card until after gaining permanent resident status. Until she has a green card, the new SS card will have the exact same "valid only with DHS authorization" wording. After her EAD is approved she'll have the authorization to show with the card, but I don't think a new Social Security card at this point would do any good.

Please let me know if I'm incorrect!

Until the OP has a green card in hand, she will not be able to obtain a social security card that says anything other than "valid only with work authorization" because she would still need to produce an EAD to be able to work. Thus, there is no point in trying to change the social security card now.

As for how long the process takes, that depends on how quickly your local office is processing AOS applications. The USCIS can show you how backed up (or not backed up) your local office is. The norm is 4-6 months for a green card. The EAD will typically arrive within 2-3 months. If your office is processing things particularly quickly, you may end up getting your green card without ever receiving your EAD.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

I have had obtained SSC years ago when I was in the US. When I arrived this year I did not change my SSC. However, I changed my new name when I got my EAD. The number was the same, and the only thing they altered was my last name. I still have printed "Valid with DHS authorization" though. Do I still need to go to the SSA to order a new card when I get my green card?

Filed: Other Timeline

I have had obtained SSC years ago when I was in the US. When I arrived this year I did not change my SSC. However, I changed my new name when I got my EAD. The number was the same, and the only thing they altered was my last name. I still have printed "Valid with DHS authorization" though. Do I still need to go to the SSA to order a new card when I get my green card?

You can get a new card, but you don't have to. For work and I-9 purposes, all you have to show is your Green Card. Only if you don't want to show your Green Card, you can alternatively show your driver's license and an unrestricted SS card. It's your choice. I did not get a new SS card until I became a U.S. citizen and only then I got a new one because I had changed my name and needed to update my SSA records in order to get a new driver's license in my new name.

The number on you SS card never changes, and normally you would never show it to anybody. I have not shown my SS card to anybody in almost 20 years. All you ever need is the number.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Can you explain why this is correct? My understanding was that she does NOT need to get a new SS card until after gaining permanent resident status. Until she has a green card, the new SS card will have the exact same "valid only with DHS authorization" wording. After her EAD is approved she'll have the authorization to show with the card, but I don't think a new Social Security card at this point would do any good.

Please let me know if I'm incorrect!

Maria has a SSN from last time she was in the USA (from what I understand), so did I. When I got here, I went to the SSC office and presented my passport with the valid visa, my birth certificate, my marriage certificate (since I changed my name)and my old SSC. The dude at the front desk said "Ok, I see that you're waiting for your green card, so I will go ahead and get your SSC processed now." I had no problems at all and the card came in the mail in 6 days.

You have a valid point tho.. Maria is a K3 so it only makes sense for her to wait until she has the CR1 green card in hand.. Maybe I should just stick to "reading" the K1/K3 posts! LOL :D

My whole point was: don't wait for the US gov to process your SSC (whenever you're ready with everything else), as it takes FOR-EVER! :) Just got to the SSN administration, much faster and less painful! :bonk:

Edited by Mr&Mrs D.

event.png

~ WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS - MAKE ORANGE JUICE AND LEAVE EVERYBODY WONDERING ~

USCIS
04-01-2010 NOA1
08-16-2010 NOA2

NVC
08-30-2010 NVC CASE# ASSIGNED
10-07-2010 EXPEDITION GRANTED!!! SIF!!!
10-21-2010 INTERVIEW - APPROVED!
11-02-2010 VISA IN HAND!

USA
11-08-2010 POE Philadelphia
12-07-2010 Welcome Letter and NOA for Green card
12-13-2010 GREEN CARD IN HAND!

ROC
09-04-2012 Filed ROC package (VSC)
09-07-2012 NOA 1
04-15-2013 ROC APPROVED!
04-20-2013 10 Year Green Card Received!

NATURALIZATION

02-20-2014 Application for Naturalization Package Mailed to NSC

02-23-2014 Application received by NSC

03-04-2014 Check for application fee cashed

03-08-2014 NOA came in the mail with notice date of 03-04-2014

03-17-2014 Received biometrics appointment letter in the mail

03-24-2014 Biometrics appointment in Tucson, AZ

05-13-2014 Interview at Tucson, AZ - PASS!

06-13-2014 Oath Ceremony in Tucson, AZ!

06-13-2014 I am a United States Citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.