Dave and Shannon

New 2011 LAND DOWNUNDER, Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

447 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

The only negative is that you need to file tax on worldwide income for life as a USC. So on moving back you'll need to file taxes for the US every year (which you could do via turbotax AND you would need to look into the foreign income exemption). Your husband will have to do that anyway but it's something you should be aware of.

Yes I had heard previously about that worldwide income tax thing - what a total rort!! I would hope by that stage we'll be in a position where I don't have to work anyway but guess I'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I enjoy living in the US but I do love the more simpler existence of New Zealand/Australia. And ever since the Sandy Hook shooting I have such an adversion to the idea of Bella going to school here. I know it can happen anywhere but I just stress about the whole big country / violence / being away from home forever thing lol.

AOS from K1 Visa

01.20.2011 Posted in AOS, EAD and AP documentation

01.25.2011 Signed for in Chicago

01.31.2011 NOA1s x 3 produced

02.08.2011 NOA1s x 3 hard copies received

02.22.2011 Transferred to CSC

02.28.2011 Biometrics done Fort Worth, Tx

03.18.2011 EAD/AP approved for production

03.24.2011 2 year conditional Green Card approved for production

03.28.2011 EAD/AP card received in the mail

03.29.2011 Welcome to the United States of America letter received in the mail

03.30.2011 Green Card received in the mail.

Removal of Conditions

01.19.2013 Posted I-751 and supporting documentation

01.26.2013 Package delivered to VSC

01.28.2013 NOA1 produced

01.29.2013 Check for filing fee and biometrics cashed

02.02.2013 NOA1 received

02.07.2013 Notice of Biometrics appointment received

02.27.2013 Biometrics done

06.14.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card approved for production

06.19.2013 Congratulations letter received in the mail

06.21.2013 10 year unconditional Green Card received in the mail

Naturalization

07.03.2016 Posted N-400 and supporting documentation

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

The only negative is that you need to file tax on worldwide income for life as a USC. So on moving back you'll need to file taxes for the US every year (which you could do via turbotax AND you would need to look into the foreign income exemption). Your husband will have to do that anyway but it's something you should be aware of.

yeah this sucks. i have my citizenship interview on thursday and we have started to talk about moving back to australia. i'm still planning on going through with the citizenship though as it'll just make my life easier- seems like it's worth it even if we move back. i think?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

yeah this sucks. i have my citizenship interview on thursday and we have started to talk about moving back to australia. i'm still planning on going through with the citizenship though as it'll just make my life easier- seems like it's worth it even if we move back. i think?

I agree. Look into the requirements for the foreign income exception though as a fellow Aussie living in America got caught out when she went home to work for a couple of months, then back to the US. There are residency requirements to claim it.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi there fellow Aussies :)

I am kinda new here, just started the process to get an AOS from a Visa Waiver entry. Scared half to death of the US Immigration department (watched too many movies I think lol)

It's a bit of a culture shock to go from a city the size of Perth to a town of about 10,000 people. But in their favour, this town has 24 hour shopping and Perth didn't !!!

I met my husband online in a Vampire RPG lol .. never thought I'd end up in the USA and married again at my age, 45. He's only 42 so I call him my toy boy lol. We spoke every day for over a year in Skype then I came to visit in August last year, went home again... missed him so much and the friends I have here, was invited back for Thanksgiving and Christmas and to see snow falling for the first time in my life, then he surprised me with an engagement ring for Christmas and we were married in January.

I decided to get an Immigration Attorney to do the paperwork and sorting of things because I had a very short time frame til my 90 days was expiring, and there are other circumstances to complicate things a little. I believe there is no right of appeal on a Visa Waiver entry so I didn't want to stuff things up.

I still don't understand the entire process.. Not sure how to get a Social Security number or how and when to change my drivers licence over, so I will hunt around the forums for that information.

Hope you're all having a good day :)

hugz

Nem

Short outline: AWA affected our application 
2012 - married US Citizen from tourist visa (unplanned)

2013 - First application for AOS by marriage - with an attorney but not one with AWA experience

2013 - First NOID - Got Psych report and as much evidence as possible sent off

2015 - Denied

2015 - Reapply for AOS - same attorney but we are better versed this time 

2016 - NOID - new reports, fresh proof

2017 - Denied

2017 - Reapply 3rd time - yet more info provided

2018  - NOID - 3RD Psych assessment, at $3000 a pop

2021 - Denied

2021 - Reapply BUT with a change - we switch application from my husband as a sponsor to my eldest step-son and suddenly, no issues

2021 - RFE for Medical Exam only!
2024  Jan 13 - email from attorney to say we have finally been APPROVED

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners

Timeline
I am kinda new here, just started the process to get an AOS from a Visa Waiver entry. Scared half to death of the US Immigration department (watched too many movies I think lol)

It's a bit of a culture shock to go from a city the size of Perth to a town of about 10,000 people. But in their favour, this town has 24 hour shopping and Perth didn't !!!

I met my husband online in a Vampire RPG lol .. never thought I'd end up in the USA and married again at my age, 45. He's only 42 so I call him my toy boy lol. We spoke every day for over a year in Skype then I came to visit in August last year, went home again... missed him so much and the friends I have here, was invited back for Thanksgiving and Christmas and to see snow falling for the first time in my life, then he surprised me with an engagement ring for Christmas and we were married in January.

I decided to get an Immigration Attorney to do the paperwork and sorting of things because I had a very short time frame til my 90 days was expiring, and there are other circumstances to complicate things a little. I believe there is no right of appeal on a Visa Waiver entry so I didn't want to stuff things up.

I still don't understand the entire process.. Not sure how to get a Social Security number or how and when to change my drivers licence over, so I will hunt around the forums for that information.

Hope you're all having a good day :)

Welcome!

You'll get the SSN by going to the Social security office once your get your EAD (work permit) to get the SSN.

You can't usually get a license until you have an EAD either. You'll need to look into you states info to find out what their requirements are.

You didn't need to file before your 90 days were up but it does prevent you from going out of status.

If you feel safer with an attorney helping you that's great but you can do the process yourself. Make sure you stay interested in your case as well. Your case isn't as important to the attorney as it is to you. You are also not their only client. So don't be surprised if things are a little slow or if it takes a while for you to hear anything. Make sure you know what to expect so you can get things together quickly and easily when they're needed and also so you know whether your attorney is dropping the ball on timing.

Lastly, CONGRATS!

Timeline

NOA 1 today !

Cheques cashed and government paid up.

Now officially an Alien with a reference number. Lol !

Medical completed, waiting for biometrics appointment. It's a 3 or 4 hour drive to the office so I don't think it's smart to chance a walk in with that much driving and fuel.

Fingers crossed and holding my breath for this to go smoothly.

Short outline: AWA affected our application 
2012 - married US Citizen from tourist visa (unplanned)

2013 - First application for AOS by marriage - with an attorney but not one with AWA experience

2013 - First NOID - Got Psych report and as much evidence as possible sent off

2015 - Denied

2015 - Reapply for AOS - same attorney but we are better versed this time 

2016 - NOID - new reports, fresh proof

2017 - Denied

2017 - Reapply 3rd time - yet more info provided

2018  - NOID - 3RD Psych assessment, at $3000 a pop

2021 - Denied

2021 - Reapply BUT with a change - we switch application from my husband as a sponsor to my eldest step-son and suddenly, no issues

2021 - RFE for Medical Exam only!
2024  Jan 13 - email from attorney to say we have finally been APPROVED

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners

Hey all, just popping in again to say hi :) Things are going well here, Ben got his work authorisation back in January, and he's been working ever since. I still can't believe its only 4 short months until we were legally married! Time flies! Just wanted to thank everyone in the aussie forum and in this forum in general :)

Brandy + Ben = <3
Dating online since June 2009
Met Feb 23rd 2010
Lived together in US on J1 Visa since Sept 28th 2010
Got engaged on Sept 21st 2011 :)
He went back to Australia at the end of his J1 Visa on Sept 22nd 2011 :(

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011
Received: 10/27/2011
NOA1 dated: 10/31/2011
NOA1 received in mail: 11/4/2011

NOA2!!!!! 01/25/2012 in 86 days! :wow:
Married June 4th 2012 <3

Like "I Support Austramerican Relationships" on Facebook!

Timeline

Just dropping by to say hi, been neglecting this place lately! Glad to see that everyone seems to doing well :)

Hubby and I are great, we've had a few rough patches...mostly over me missing home..but we're all good now. Moving back to Arizona in a couple of weeks and than, in a couple of years, hopefully we'll be back in Australia :D Just need to save money and get a visa sorted out for Travis. Can't wait, I've been craving some good Aussie food something shocking lately, lol.

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Timeline

Really??? Wow, I did not know that, that's such #######. I wish the American tax system was more like Oz....so much less hassle.

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey guys.. I'm an Aussie guy about to file for the K-1 with my US partner who lives here with me in Aus.

Just wondering, will my financial situation be unlikely to suffice at the consular interview?

What I'm planning to bring is: Co-sponsorship form (I-134) of my petitioner's retired father, and also my tax returns for my small business which generates income (looks like it will be far less than the required amount however) that can continue once I go to the US (I'm guessing I just DON'T operate the business until my EAD is approved?). My USC petitioner has lived with me in Australia for years so she will not have any income on her I-134.

I hope these two things will suffice.

Edited by kdude1

Timeline

Hey guys.. I'm an Aussie guy about to file for the K-1 with my US partner who lives here with me in Aus.

Just wondering, will my financial situation be unlikely to suffice at the consular interview?

What I'm planning to bring is: Co-sponsorship form (I-134) of my petitioner's retired father, and also my tax returns for my small business which generates income (looks like it will be far less than the required amount however) that can continue once I go to the US (I'm guessing I just DON'T operate the business until my EAD is approved?). My USC petitioner has lived with me in Australia for years so she will not have any income on her I-134.

I hope these two things will suffice.

You mean fiancee right? Not same-sex partner? I'll assume that otherwise your petition wouldn't have been approved.

She needs to complete her own I-134 as she is always your primary sponsor, whether she earns or not. Your fiancee's father will need to be enough to support his household size as well as the immigrant. If it does it should be fine.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Woo hoo a thread for Aus and NZ. I'm learning my way around. LOL

Good to be with other locals. I'm applying for K1 visa and almost ready to start the whole process. My fiance is moving home in a few days and thought it was best to hold off so no changes of address forms or missing paperwork.

My Journey is about to start for me and my 3 children.

I have to say, I'm a little scared and feeling daunted about the whole thing but reading how others have done it is helping.

See you round the forums.

Edited by Ozgirl1981
Spoiler

GC Expiry - 10/27/16

ROC:
09/13/16 - Sent I-751 package to CSC
09/16/16 - USCIS received package
09/20/16 - $845 check cashed - (myself and 3 children)

09/22/16 - NOA1 hard copy. Dated 09/16/16
09/26/16- Verification of Inclusion of a Dependent in I-751 (x 3) - Dated 09/16/16

10/13/16 - Biometrics Appointment

09/25/17 - Infopass - I-551 stamp. Expiry 6/25/18

02/15/18 - Case Inquiry - Out of processing time (09/22/18) Reply due 3/10/18.

02/25/18 - Case updated to "We received your case" 

04/06/18 - Case updated to "We received your case"

04/06/18 - Case updated to "We transferred your case to another USCIS office for processing" - CSC to CSC  (letter)

04/10/18 - Case updated to "We transferred your case to another USCIS office for processing" - CSC to POTOMAC  (letter)

04/11/18 - Case updated to "We transferred your case to another USCIS office for processing"

04/19/18 - Case updated to "We received your case" 

05/07/18 - Case updated to "We transferred your case to another USCIS office for processing" - POTOMAC to NBC.  (letter)

05/07/18 - Case updated to "We received your case"

05/08/18 - Case updated to "We transferred your case to another USCIS office for processing'

06/01/18 - Case Approved with N-400 Approval. 

CITIZENSHIP

08/23/17 - N-400 sent (USPS Lost package, In Transit - Delayed status)
09/11/17 - N-400 sent again via FedEX.

09/14/17 - N-400 NOA1

09/25/17 - Email Acceptance - Routed to NBC.

10/10/17 - Walk in Biometrics - Seattle.

10/18/17 - In line for Interview

05/02/18 - Interview Scheduled.

06/01/18 - Interview - APPROVED

07/04/18 - July 4th Oath Ceremony.

Woo hoo a thread for Aus and NZ. I'm learning my way around. LOL

Good to be with other locals. I'm applying for K1 visa and almost ready to start the whole process. My fiance is moving home in a few days and thought it was best to hold off so no changes of address forms or missing paperwork.

My Journey is about to start for me and my 3 children.

I have to say, I'm a little scared and feeling daunted about the whole thing but reading how others have done it is helping.

See you round the forums.

I am new and still trying to work my way around all these forums too! But, welcome! Such a relief to find other Aussies going through the same thing.. I'm in Perth, W.A... How about you?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.