Dave and Shannon

New 2011 LAND DOWNUNDER, Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

447 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi guys, thought I'd say hello over here in the Aussie thread!

I'm an Aussie guy, my girl is American. She lives here in Aus with me now. We are getting married here in Australia soon, can't wait.

My girl's father is pretty aged though and she wants to live back in the US for some time because of this. I would be happy just getting a B visa if it lasted a couple of years, but I've heard it's tough to get in a country that offers the VWP like Australia does. Our main goal is to get me a visa that will let me live over there without having to separate while filing for it. So we figured after marriage I would just apply for a normal spouse CR visa and hopefully get a greencard so we can live over there. And that's why I ended up finding these forums, to ask questions and see what's possible! lol

I also read a bit about direct consular filing, but that they have stopped this from happening in Australia? For a while there it seemed like that was a solution for getting a visa while staying together.

Glad to see there's so many people going through similar things out there!

Welcome!

Yes you should file for the Cr-1. Because her address is overseas (as the USC) this will mean that you should get your NOA2 (petition approval) relatively quickly. You WILL need a co-sponsor though who earns enough to support their household plus yourself (the immigrant).

Once you get the CR-1 visa you move over to the US and should get your GC mailed to you about a month later.

One factor though is your (then) wife should move over before you to establish domicile and get a place worked out to live. At the very least you'll need a US address to have your greencard sent to. So you might end up spending some time apart but it won't be several months like it is for the rest of us.

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Well Aussies,

It has now been 1mth since I landed back in our awesome country, and OMG I'm enjoying it far too much.

Yes, it's far too expensive. Yes, there's no snow. Yes, trading hours are screwed... but new jobs, greater career prospects, more $, and my "chosen" family (close circle of friends) have just made it all that much better.

Maybe it was a good idea to get off the island for 1.5yrs...

Now to start pondering the decision... I spent 10yrs TOTAL trying to get a green card... do I really want to give up US permanent residency? Only time will tell...

:D

The Long Wait...

Unmarried Son of US Citizen OVER 21

[dd/mm/yy]

USCIS

xx/03/05 - I130 Sent

24/03/05 - NOA1 Received

[many moons later]

12/03/09 - NOA2 Received

Your I-130 was approved in 1448 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

05/04/10 - Received I-864 Bill

23/04/10 - IV Fee Bill Received

18/05/10 - DS230 Sent

11/06/10 - July 2010 Bulletin shows PD Current - WOOT!

14/06/10 - Operator and AVR Update to say CASE COMPLETE 10/6/10

16/06/10 - SIF

CONSULATE

29/06/10 - P4

07/07/10 @ 11:00am - Medical - COMPLETE

03/08/10 @ 9:00am 11:00am - Interview!(SYD) - APPROVED!

USA

13/09/2010 - POE @ LAX

24/09/2010 - Welcome Letter from USCIS!

25/09/2010 - Green Card Arrived

07/10/2010 - SSN!

Timeline

Well Aussies,

It has now been 1mth since I landed back in our awesome country, and OMG I'm enjoying it far too much.

Yes, it's far too expensive. Yes, there's no snow. Yes, trading hours are screwed... but new jobs, greater career prospects, more $, and my "chosen" family (close circle of friends) have just made it all that much better.

Now to start pondering the decision... I spent 10yrs TOTAL trying to get a green card... do I really want to give up US permanent residency? Only time will tell...

Great to read you're enjoying being "back home" :)

Do you miss the US yet or are you still enjoying being back home too much?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Well Aussies,

:D

oh, i am really jealous of you right now! lol. I hope you're enjoying it :)

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Timeline

How long do you need to be back in Australia before you lose your US residency?

It depends on several factors. With just a GC you shouldn't stay out more than 12 months or your GC is automatically revoked. Any period over 6 months however can be used against you in determining if you'd abandoned your status. HOWEVER if you also have a re-entry permit it's under 2 years. You still need to file taxes and all that though.

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Great to read you're enjoying being "back home" :)Do you miss the US yet or are you still enjoying being back home too much?

Only thing I miss about the USA is my car, and my cat... haha I'm *really* enjoying being back home, it's crazy...

oh, i am really jealous of you right now! lol. I hope you're enjoying it :)

See above... haha

It depends on several factors. With just a GC you shouldn't stay out more than 12 months or your GC is automatically revoked. Any period over 6 months however can be used against you in determining if you'd abandoned your status. HOWEVER if you also have a re-entry permit it's under 2 years. You still need to file taxes and all that though.

Correct... I'm planning on the 12mths atm... although, it's really going to depend on my "life position" next january, as to whether I make the jump back over the pond.. haha...

The Long Wait...

Unmarried Son of US Citizen OVER 21

[dd/mm/yy]

USCIS

xx/03/05 - I130 Sent

24/03/05 - NOA1 Received

[many moons later]

12/03/09 - NOA2 Received

Your I-130 was approved in 1448 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

05/04/10 - Received I-864 Bill

23/04/10 - IV Fee Bill Received

18/05/10 - DS230 Sent

11/06/10 - July 2010 Bulletin shows PD Current - WOOT!

14/06/10 - Operator and AVR Update to say CASE COMPLETE 10/6/10

16/06/10 - SIF

CONSULATE

29/06/10 - P4

07/07/10 @ 11:00am - Medical - COMPLETE

03/08/10 @ 9:00am 11:00am - Interview!(SYD) - APPROVED!

USA

13/09/2010 - POE @ LAX

24/09/2010 - Welcome Letter from USCIS!

25/09/2010 - Green Card Arrived

07/10/2010 - SSN!

Timeline

I got my NJ drivers license today. No issues using my Victorian license, although their reference book didn't list anything for Victorian motorcycle endorsement which created a world of confusion. I'm to have to take the practical test again if I want a bike license. As for the knowledge quiz, it was a piece of cake, I did spend a couple of hours studying which paid off :dance:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

It's been a long while since I've been back on VJ life has been so hectic leading up and since the wedding that it seems I haven't had a moment to myself to do anything. I finally got around to updating our timeline today but now I'm starting to wonder a bit about our AoS. We sent off the AoS packet on November 7th, had an RFE soon after (forgot to sign something, go figure lol), and sent the signed paperwork right back. We then got a letter that our case had been transferred to California and it hasn't been touched at all since December 19th. I've noticed that several people who got married around the same have already been approved. We haven't had any updates, additional RFEs, or an interview date yet. Should I be worried? It seems like it's taking longer than usual. Should I try to get in contact with someone about our case or just keep waiting and see what happens?

K-1 Journey

2008-09-15 ~ Started dating

2010-05-03 ~ First meeting in person in the U.S.

2010-07-19 ~ Moved to Australia on a Working Holiday visa

2010-11-23 ~ Got engaged!!!

2011-01-04 ~ Sent I-129F forms

2011-01-14 ~ NOA1

2011-06-06 ~ NOA2

2011-06-22 ~ Packet 3 Received

2011-07-13 ~ Packet 3 Sent

2011-08-02 ~ Interview ~ Approved!!!!

2011-08-05 ~ Visa in hand

2011-08-09 ~ POE at LAX

2011-10-15 ~ Wedding!

AOS Journey

2011-11-07 ~ AoS Packet Sent

2011-11-15 ~ RFE Received (Forgot to sign a paper)

2011-11-17 ~ RFE response sent back

2011-11-22 ~ Biometrics appointment

2011-12-13 ~ Transferred to California

It's been a long while since I've been back on VJ life has been so hectic leading up and since the wedding that it seems I haven't had a moment to myself to do anything. I finally got around to updating our timeline today but now I'm starting to wonder a bit about our AoS. We sent off the AoS packet on November 7th, had an RFE soon after (forgot to sign something, go figure lol), and sent the signed paperwork right back. We then got a letter that our case had been transferred to California and it hasn't been touched at all since December 19th. I've noticed that several people who got married around the same have already been approved. We haven't had any updates, additional RFEs, or an interview date yet. Should I be worried? It seems like it's taking longer than usual. Should I try to get in contact with someone about our case or just keep waiting and see what happens?

I'm in about the same position as you, I sent AOS late October, got transferred late December, then heard nothing. There are a lot of other people who are in the same position, so you are not alone. Most people who were transferred to CSC for "faster" processing are currently waiting around 6 months for their GC, whereas those who were interviewed are getting their GC a lot faster. I plan to call at the 6 month mark to see if I can submit a service request, I don't think they will do anything before 6 months.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey Ashton & Ben Lainie B

Im in the same boat as you both. Sent our AOS back in November, had a RFE but got that sorted and got a letter reagarding transferred to CSC for "faster" processing. I thought I would have received it by now.

I called them just recently and they said i will hear something within the next 15 days or less.

Also is there any other way to get my Drivers license without my GC? Mine expires in the next week and it was done with my I-94 in my passport... ? anyone know if I can do it without my GC?

11-03-08 ~ First met in USA

11-15-09 ~ Got Engaged

03-14-11 ~ Mailed I-129F/K-1

03-16-11 ~ NOA1

07-01-11 ~ Police Cert Received

07-12-11 ~ NOA2

07-28-11 ~ Medical Passed

08-02-11 ~ Packet 3 Received

09-01-11 ~ P3 Sent

09-07-11 ~ Packet 4 Received

09-13-11 ~ Interview/APPROVAL!

Hey Ashton & Ben Lainie B

Im in the same boat as you both. Sent our AOS back in November, had a RFE but got that sorted and got a letter reagarding transferred to CSC for "faster" processing. I thought I would have received it by now.

I called them just recently and they said i will hear something within the next 15 days or less.

Also is there any other way to get my Drivers license without my GC? Mine expires in the next week and it was done with my I-94 in my passport... ? anyone know if I can do it without my GC?

Which state are you in? You should be able to get one with your EAD but it will probably only be valid until the expiry date on your EAD.

That's great they said you would hear something about your GC soon. I had heard of people who had called and said they had to wait 6 months to put in a service request, but it seems everyone gets told something different when they call USCIS. Maybe I will try calling now instead of waiting. It would be nice to have the GC.

Edited by Lainie B

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks guys! I'm glad to know we're not alone! Ben wasn't able to get his Driver's License in West Virginia on a EAD. Unfortunately we have to wait until we're approved. Your best bet is to go to your local DMV with all the information you have (NoA, proofs of residence, passport, etc) and see if they will let you take it. The worst they can do is say no!

K-1 Journey

2008-09-15 ~ Started dating

2010-05-03 ~ First meeting in person in the U.S.

2010-07-19 ~ Moved to Australia on a Working Holiday visa

2010-11-23 ~ Got engaged!!!

2011-01-04 ~ Sent I-129F forms

2011-01-14 ~ NOA1

2011-06-06 ~ NOA2

2011-06-22 ~ Packet 3 Received

2011-07-13 ~ Packet 3 Sent

2011-08-02 ~ Interview ~ Approved!!!!

2011-08-05 ~ Visa in hand

2011-08-09 ~ POE at LAX

2011-10-15 ~ Wedding!

AOS Journey

2011-11-07 ~ AoS Packet Sent

2011-11-15 ~ RFE Received (Forgot to sign a paper)

2011-11-17 ~ RFE response sent back

2011-11-22 ~ Biometrics appointment

2011-12-13 ~ Transferred to California

Thanks guys! I'm glad to know we're not alone! Ben wasn't able to get his Driver's License in West Virginia on a EAD. Unfortunately we have to wait until we're approved. Your best bet is to go to your local DMV with all the information you have (NoA, proofs of residence, passport, etc) and see if they will let you take it. The worst they can do is say no!

Your dating timeline is so close to ours XD Only opposite because our first meeting was in Australia when I went to visit my Ben, and he used the working holiday visa to live in the US :3 And instead of WV we are in VA xD

Ben already has a drivers licence from when he was here, do you think he can renew it when he gets back here?

Brandy + Ben = <3
Dating online since June 2009
Met Feb 23rd 2010
Lived together in US on J1 Visa since Sept 28th 2010
Got engaged on Sept 21st 2011 :)
He went back to Australia at the end of his J1 Visa on Sept 22nd 2011 :(

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011
Received: 10/27/2011
NOA1 dated: 10/31/2011
NOA1 received in mail: 11/4/2011

NOA2!!!!! 01/25/2012 in 86 days! :wow:
Married June 4th 2012 <3

Like "I Support Austramerican Relationships" on Facebook!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Which state are you in? You should be able to get one with your EAD but it will probably only be valid until the expiry date on your EAD.

That's great they said you would hear something about your GC soon. I had heard of people who had called and said they had to wait 6 months to put in a service request, but it seems everyone gets told something different when they call USCIS. Maybe I will try calling now instead of waiting. It would be nice to have the GC.

In TN. I might go in tomorrow and see what they say. I really hope so. I need my license to get to and from work. If not I do have a international licence which is what I was driving on prior to this.

11-03-08 ~ First met in USA

11-15-09 ~ Got Engaged

03-14-11 ~ Mailed I-129F/K-1

03-16-11 ~ NOA1

07-01-11 ~ Police Cert Received

07-12-11 ~ NOA2

07-28-11 ~ Medical Passed

08-02-11 ~ Packet 3 Received

09-01-11 ~ P3 Sent

09-07-11 ~ Packet 4 Received

09-13-11 ~ Interview/APPROVAL!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.