Gary and Alla

How about this?!!!

108 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Sounds like Alla's got some great gifts. Very cool!

I recently switched to "stereo" muffs. Just a cheap set from Harbor Freight but they're excellent for things like range commands, coaching shooters, etc. Every RSO or instructor should have these on. I wish I would've switched sooner. Once I get some big bucks together I'll buy the more "slimline" series that feature mics on both sides. Really not a priortiy since I'm not a tactical operator but Midway has them on sale every now and then.

The liberal thing was because you filled out paperwork to "transfer" your firearm to her. I wish I had a dollar for everyone who's asked me how I registered my guns.

On a related note, last night I bought a new rifle (going to be a wedding gift for my little brother once I "transfer" it to him) and got delayed during the NICS check. Every single time I purchase a new gun I get delayed. It's almost as if I have a 3-day waiting period. I thought we got rid of those?

... and they wonder why people prefer private sales. Every time I hear about NICS being "hassle free" or a new plan to expand it and require it for all gun show and private transactions I cringe. Can we not just exercise our rights without infringement? Can we be privileged enough to do that?

The really sad thing is folks who don't know just don't know. They don't realize if this sort of thing can be applied to 2A rights it can be applied to anything. "What do you mean I can't go to church?"

"Sorry sir, your background check got delayed."

Do you guys wear gloves when you shoot?

For some reason, I've always hated wearing gloves. If it's cold I'll wear some (especially the surplus "trigger mittens") but for the most part, I'll go without. If I do wear gloves I typically go fingerless. All those fancy-shmancy tactical gloves, shooting mitts, etc., just don't do anything for me. Well, nothing except reduce my dexterity.

Hope and change. "Because they can fall into the hands of gangs." (Or Mexicans.)

OH I see. OK. The "paperwork" is a card saying that the rifle is presented to her on her birthday. :lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I shoot skeet every week in winter unless there is a huge snowstorm in progress. I use lightweight cotton jersey gloves for any king of outdoor activity except skiing. They keep my hands warm and I can handle small objects fine with them, I buy them in hardware stores for something like 5 pairs for $7. Very cheap. They are useless when wet but I have several pairs with me so no problem.

Alla does not shoot outside when it is cold. She goes to the indoor range and shoots reduced targets at 25 meters

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I shoot skeet every week in winter unless there is a huge snowstorm in progress. I use lightweight cotton jersey gloves for any king of outdoor activity except skiing. They keep my hands warm and I can handle small objects fine with them, I buy them in hardware stores for something like 5 pairs for $7. Very cheap. They are useless when wet but I have several pairs with me so no problem.

Alla does not shoot outside when it is cold. She goes to the indoor range and shoots reduced targets at 25 meters

I use unpadded, leather sailing gloves. They have not finger-tips on the thumb and trigger finger.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think I may have read somewhere the Number one home defense weapon is a lightweight Pump shotgun, the sound once pumped is unmistakeable to Would be Intruders.

I think second to that is a Dog. Best is to take a home defense course. Good Luck :)

OH I see. OK. The "paperwork" is a card saying that the rifle is presented to her on her birthday. :lol:

Make sure she registers it. (And has a permit.)

I use lightweight cotton jersey gloves

My go to pair is a set of cheap camo gloves I got from a truck stop when I was like 14 years old. (Shows how much I wear them.) They're light threaded wool and have rubber dots all over the hands. I cut off all the fingers.

I use unpadded, leather sailing gloves. They have not finger-tips on the thumb and trigger finger.

I have a very light pair of leather gloves as well, kind of like driving gloves. Probably the next best thing to the jersey gloves I wear.

The nomex pilots gloves seem to be pretty popular with shooters as well. They have leather palms and fingers. Nice light gloves.

I think I may have read somewhere the Number one home defense weapon is a lightweight Pump shotgun, the sound once pumped is unmistakeable to Would be Intruders.

I think second to that is a Dog. Best is to take a home defense course. Good Luck :)

Pump shotty is best. Dog is good too although dog doesn't combat multiple targets simultaneously. Great for detection, alerts and deterrence but no so much for engagement.

Pump shotty and dog = pretty good!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

You can get cotton jersey gloves with rubber dots from Grainger or McMcaster Carr.

Personally I used those for climbing my amateur radio towers! Lightweight but grippy!

My big black (with white teeth) 60 lb. Belgian Sheepdog (with a very deep throaty bark) has no fear and will guard his family and property with his life; maybe worse than my 870 (I'd let you run away after one pump but he'll quickly chase you down and engage you).

But if I command him away or he decides that he does know you....then he'll drown you with kisses!!!

Timeline

Make sure she registers it. (And has a permit.)

Vooooooooooooowhat?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! No registration, no permits. We don't need no stinking permits! :dance:

so after analysis of her targets she is consistently grouping 10 shots under 2" at 100 yds using Federal target ammo. This is with a Burris 2.5x scope. I kept her hands off the adjustments and she is doing fine. It is pretty obvious that thos is about it with that rifle and that ammo and that scope. I may look around for a different scope for her, something more powerful. I set the rifle up for hunting but for purely target shooting a bit more "X" may be in order

Next, I am working on the trigger tonight, the M52 is externally adjustable for pull and overtravel and I have never done anything with the factory settings, so I will play with that. Then we are going to try some other ammo. I ran a bunch of different types through the rifle years ago and cannot find my notes so I guess we start over.

She went to her first members meeting last night and she is already "known" as the woman that shoots a .22 at 100 yds. I think she is more known for wearing heels and tight jeans but the stated reason is her prowess at "long range" with a .22 :lol:

She volunteered me as a range officer for winter so the indoor range can be open an extra night for shooting. :huh: I don't mind, why not?

We have a Pekinese. :unsure: So I have extra guns instead

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

We have a Pekinese. :unsure: So I have extra guns instead

Yep, our dog Baron views a Peki as an hor dourves. Same as the Yorkies adjacent to us!!

They also serve as "scope adjusters"!!

Timeline

Yep, our dog Baron views a Peki as an hor dourves. Same as the Yorkies adjacent to us!!

They also serve as "scope adjusters"!!

We have a Persian cat which is a bit larger and much more vicious than the dog. :lol:

For her next dog Alla wants a Bernese Mountain dog. :o

Gary And Alla

Timeline

In the last week I hit a few gun shops on my way around and picked up a few boxes of different tyoes of .22 ammo. We tried three of them today. Winchester Wildcat, Centurion (Mexican) and some Wolf "Match Target" which was made in Germany. Most of the Wolf ammo I have seen was made at the Tula arsenal in Russia, but this stuff is made in Germany and was quite accurate, the best so far, but very reasonably priced. It looks like the usual Wolf box but with a small yellow label which says "Match Target" on the front.

Give it a try if you are looking for some accurate ammo.

I have a lot more to try including Eley Tenex and Eley Club Match which I usually save for last. Actually Alla is shooting too much to be burning up a lot of that stuff. Very accurate but also very expensive.

Gary And Alla

Most of the Wolf ammo I have seen was made at the Tula arsenal in Russia, but this stuff is made in Germany and was quite accurate, the best so far, but very reasonably priced. It looks like the usual Wolf box but with a small yellow label which says "Match Target" on the front.

Give it a try if you are looking for some accurate ammo.

I have a lot more to try

I love Wolf. Cheap, accurate, dependable. The bad rap that it had before has been fixed. It is quality ammo at a wonderful price. Buy as much as you can!

For .22LR I've used some Aguila that's pretty good too. A little more expensive but several types available and most of it is match grade. Tight tolerances too. So, once you find the kind your particular rifle likes, you can shoot the daylights out of it all day long.

It seems for most .22s, it's more an issue of the rifle/ammo combo than anything. I've seen two identical Ruger 10/22s on the firing line and one will shoot mini mags all day long the other likes Federal bulk packs. Strange, but true!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• 1 month later...
Timeline

So Alla has been working on her position shooting for a couple months and now rarely shoots from the bench. Yesterday, probably the last day she will tolerate the outdoor range for this year, she decided she wanted to shoot a "competition" with me.

The stakes were high so I called on my M1A, it has always been my "go to" rifle. Sorry mouse gun, you are good but not THAT good.

We did a "match" of 30 shots at 100 yds with standard 100 yard targets, 3 positions (sitting, prone and standing) 10 shots each, all slow fire. Since she shoots a right hand bolt rifle left handed we skipped the rapid fire portion...probably should not have. :lol:

So when the smoke cleared she scored 242/300, 5x and I had 231/300 7x! She beat me! :lol: She is still dancing, then we had the monthly members meeting last night and she was flaunting around her targets which one of the other members pinned to the bulletin board for her, marked "WINNER!" :lol: I did shoot better from the standing position, but she edged me in the sitting and beat me by 14 in prone!

She missed shooting "expert" by 4 points!

Yeah well, she has a scope, I don't!

So now she has decided she wants her own pistol and has settled on an S&W M41. She is torn on barrel length, hasn't decided yet. I tried to steer her toward a Ruger MkIII Competition ($400 cheaper) but she is determined and says she will pay for "most of it" I am watching gunbroker now.

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Regarding shooting gloves, the Mechanix gloves are great. I never shoot without them now. No more cut hands on slides, hammers, and all those other sharp edges some pistols have. Used to be every time I went to the range, I can home with bandaids on. I also bought a pair of 5.11 Taclite Pro gloves that are designed for shooting. Great fingers with no sewing on the tips. I still prefer the cheaper Mechanix.

Timeline

Regarding shooting gloves, the Mechanix gloves are great. I never shoot without them now. No more cut hands on slides, hammers, and all those other sharp edges some pistols have. Used to be every time I went to the range, I can home with bandaids on. I also bought a pair of 5.11 Taclite Pro gloves that are designed for shooting. Great fingers with no sewing on the tips. I still prefer the cheaper Mechanix.

I don't feel so bad then. I wear gloves when shooting my Dad's old M1911. It is not even an A1 model, just an M1911. Big hammer, short grip safety...OUCH! that thing BITES and bites hard and bites often. To tell the truth I cannot imagine it being adopted as it was in 1911. I always feel a bit of a panty waist for doing it. But it will bloody the web of your hand in just a few shots and that is no fun at all.

I also wear gloves for winter skeet shooting, I have not tried the gloves you mention but similar ones. Thin, synthetic and with non-slip grips.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I told Alla about Alla's marksmanship prowess and she is impressed and surprised and I may have sparked a similar interest. We'll see how it goes thru the winter and spring. We can shoot 25 and 50 yard .22 targets in our yard. I'll let all know on her progress.

What M1A did you use Gary? I guess SA, Geneseo?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.