TeapotGirl

Unsure plans while on K-1 Process

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just to confirm, you grandfather and uncle are 'licensed' (I don't think that's quite the right word though...) to perform marriages?

That's what I know. My aunt said they headed marriage ceremonies in the past and she's the one who suggested our relatives there. I am not sure if my uncle and Grandfather (brother of my grandmother) are in the same religion. My uncle (my father's brother-in-law) is Protestant minister. My grandfathers son is also a lawyer so I am sure they won't put me into something I will be in trouble of.

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

The K-1 is a visa, not a permanent residence card. Once you arrive in the US you have 90 days to marry the petitioner. After you are married you file AOS (adjustment of status) to obtain your green card (permanent residence). You can also file at the same time for an EAD (employment authorization) so you can work while your green card is pending. It normally takes about 90 days after filing AOS/EAD to receive the work authorization, not two years.

Once you arrive on the K-1 visa it is void, it is a one use visa. If you leave the US after arriving and prior to obtaining AP (advance parole) which can be filed for with the AOS, you will be considered to have abandoned your application to adjust status. You will have to obtain a new visa to enter the US.

Keep in mind that when you file to adjust status you must show a legitimate relationship with your spouse such as living in the same residence, joint bills, etc. And you cannot adjust status by marriage to anyone other than the person who petitioned you.

Timeline

The K-1 is a visa, not a permanent residence card. Once you arrive in the US you have 90 days to marry the petitioner.

I am very clear with this.

so you can work while your green card is pending. It normally takes about 90 days after filing AOS/EAD to receive the work authorization, not two years.

I thought I can't work until I got the GC,

If you leave the US after arriving and prior to obtaining AP (advance parole) which can be filed for with the AOS, you will be considered to have abandoned your application to adjust status. You will have to obtain a new visa to enter the US.

Oh I see..We may just visit to San Fo to beat the homesickness then if I will be homesick.

Keep in mind that when you file to adjust status you must show a legitimate relationship with your spouse such as living in the same residence, joint bills, etc. And you cannot adjust status by marriage to anyone other than the person who petitioned you.

No problem with this. We share almost everything. Thanks for your input. I get the clearer picture now.

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I will be very busy for the wedding, I am sure I don't want to work right after I set my feet in the US or even 2 weeks after marriage. I am thinking of like my 5th month there until I get my Green Card.

it does not mean you have to start working right after the wedding.. BUT once you get this processed you will be allowed to work.. when you want or when you find work.. which ever comes first! :) either way.. good luck in your journey :)

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Timeline

How about an online job in Odesk or selling stuff on ebay? I dont think I need a work permit for that. Just a thought.

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Timeline

How about an online job in Odesk or selling stuff on ebay and such be considered as a job that I need to get a work permit?

probably not.. but just put the paypal account into your hubby's name, i guess.. other then that.. internet is wide open.. but that income may have to be declared.. somehow..

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

ROC-I-751

Just so you know... you won't be working two weeks after you get married :) You will have a bit more time than that.

You will need to wait for your EAD to be processed and approved.

I will be very busy for the wedding, I am sure I don't want to work right after I set my feet in the US or even 2 weeks after marriage. I am thinking of like my 5th month there until I get my Green Card.

K1 Journey
11/2006...... met for the first time on a night out in London!
11/25/07..... I moved to the UK on a work visa to be with him 🙂
02/27/09..... he proposed!
08/30/10..... sent I-129F
09/02/10..... NOA1
01/27/11..... NOA2 (147 DAYS from NOA1)
03/22/11..... INTERVIEW! (201 DAYS from NOA1) - APPROVED! --> Read the review here!
03/25/11..... visa received!!!
06/09/11..... POE LAX!! --> Read the review here!

AOS Journey
07/22/11.... SSN received
08/27/11.... our wonderful wedding!!
09/23/11.... sent AOS package
09/25/11.... AOS package delivered in Chicago (7:33 p.m.)
10/10/11.... AP rejection letter, refiled 10/17
10/11/11.... NOA1 received via text & email (AOS + EAD only)
10/15/11.... hard copies of NOA1 for AOS + EAD received (dated 10/7)
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/18/11.... successful biometrics walk-in, Santa Ana, CA (appt for 11/1)
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP
12/12/11.... call in to USCIS. Told to call back after 12/26.
12/23/11.... I-765 approved

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!
02/10/12.... Hubby's GC in hand!

ROC Journey

12/09/13.... sent I-751 to CSC

12/10/13.... package delivered / NOA1

12/12/13.... cheque cashed

01/06/14.... biometrics

04/18/14.... approval letter dated (received 4/22)

Naturalization Journey

09/29/22.... filed N-400 online

09/30/22... NOA/biometrics reuse

01/23/23... interview scheduled for 02/28 

02/28/23... successful interview + oath ceremony in Santa Ana, CA! so proud! certificate of naturalization received! --> Read the review here!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

just to share....

back in the phils, i grew up and settled in a nice but busy tourist city.....

buzzling with this and that....

malls here and there.....

all the amenities - you name it - just around the corner....

friends and relatives just a stone throw away.......

when i decided to get married (to my husband now)

i thought about those i will "give up"....

and its so worth it....

if its any consolation to you,

my background back home - worked in the corporate world since graduation.....

and, of course, went with it, the never ending social life.....

right now, i am happily married (7 months) and living up in the mountains .....

where neighbors frequent their houses during summer only....

we are the only permanent resident here.......

at first, i thought like you......"what else to do up here????"

but after a couple of months, i simply adopted the lifestyle here.....

and thought of the many things to do.....

at this moment, i cant seem to know which one of the many things in my mind to prioritize......while living up in the mountains....

im the only known filipina here....

but because my husband is very supportive and caring....

plus nice people (friends and relatives) around ....

they all made me feel so very at home.....

ohhhhh.... i never thought i would love this place and the people around it this soon....

and by the way, to add, we are 150 miles away from the nearest mall/supermarket....

but, anything is possible.....

im sure you will be ok......

lots of things to do and think about once you are here.....

in no time, you will be so busy.....

that you will be looking for free time.....

good luck to you...

and i repeat - you can do it.....

AOS journey

31 March 2011 - Mailed thru USPS (AOS/EAD/AP)

03 April 2011 - NOA (AOS/EAD/AP)

18 April 2011 - successful walk-in biometrics

21 April 2011 - NOA (AOS transfer to CSC)

25 May 2011 - EAD/AP approved

04 June 2011 - EAD/AP combo card received

16 June 2011 - AOS/GC approved

22 June 2011 - GC received by mail

3r4r2ij8einw7.png

For your adjustment of status (AoS), you will want to fill in three forms - the I-485 (adjust from K1 fiancee to wife), I-765 (Employment Authorisation Document - until resident card supercedes it) and I-131 (Advance Parole aka Travel Document prior to Resident card). As the latter two are free if filed with the former, if there is any likelihood that you will want to work or return to the Phils for any family emergency, it's best to apply for all three at the same time.

Timeline for my process was :- Dec 19 applied for AoS/EAD/AP

Feb 20 received AP

Feb 28 received EAD

April 6 received Green card

Hope this gives you an idea of the timescales, although they may have changed in the last couple of years. Looking at timescales for people who apply in the couple of months before you do will often give a great idea of when to expect your paperwork to go through.

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I would not take the chance on a problem just to be impatient. This process is what it is and time and money consuming. You just started and have about 7 months until completion. Slow down, enjoy the ride.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

My fiance can't stand waiting for my visa to be released. He's mailing the application this week everything looks okay, still just finishing things up.

He wants to spend Christmas and even months here in the Philippines until I get my fiancee visa, would that be okay? Does he need to be physically in the US to anticipate any mail or notification from USCIS?

We are planning to get married in San Francisco, CA, because I have relatives there that could help us get married, (my grandfather and uncle can lead the ceremony, he lives in Cleveland, OH), should we anticipate extra paperwork or a little problem if his residence and the wedding venue are on different States?

I still don't know If I will like it in the OH after marriage. I cannot work for 2 years and that's extremely boring for me. OH is very cold and I can't handle coldness and boredom at the same time. Can I move back to the Philippines after marriage and still waiting for adjustment of status?

You can work as soon as you get a Social Security number. Remember once you get here you'll file for a Green card and that will be $1000 as soon as you arrive. You'll have a social security number soon after and you can work then. Only travel outside the U.S. will be limited for 2 years. That is the Green card processing time. But once you marry, file for the green card right away and you can begin working!

You can work as soon as you get a Social Security number. Remember once you get here you'll file for a Green card and that will be $1000 as soon as you arrive. You'll have a social security number soon after and you can work then. Only travel outside the U.S. will be limited for 2 years. That is the Green card processing time. But once you marry, file for the green card right away and you can begin working!

All LPRs have travel restrictions. There is no extra restrictions on 2-year GC holders v. 10-year GC holders. The main restriction for both is that they have to reside in the US, so generally they cannot takes trips outside of the US for a year at a time. People with a conditional GC can travel internationally.

She cannot work as soon as she gets her Social Security number; rather, she will also need her EAD to work. A SSN by itself does not give the right to work. In fact, the SS Card she gets will say "not valid without DHS work authorization."

The GC takes about 4 months to process.

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread overall.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

You should apply for an advance furlow. Though travel is limited it is possible to travel in cases of emergency. The main thing to remember is that the cost to apply for a Green card is $1000! Don't get surprised by this.

Timeline

You should apply for an advance furlow. Though travel is limited it is possible to travel in cases of emergency. The main thing to remember is that the cost to apply for a Green card is $1000! Don't get surprised by this.

and the form that always you to work .. is $300+.. so if i file AOS and Employment papers.. i need to make sure i have about $1,400.. is this true? are there other costs? after marriage, when dealing with paperwork of this type?

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

ROC-I-751

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.