SWSH

Have a spiritual marry before K-1, will it cause any trouble?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello,

We applied I-129f on July. We're at intinial review now, it has been 2 months and we're still waiting for USCIS approve our case.

My fiance is going to see me again in the end of this year. We're planning to have a spiritual wedding, because he's Christian and we want God witness for our love. It will just my fiance, me and the pastor who will say some words for us. We already contacted to a pastor and he agreed to do that for us without any paperwork. And of course that we will have a legal wedding when I come to US.

I just want to know if this thing might cause any trouble for us when I go to interview? Should I tell them that we have this wedding at the interview? Will they deny my visa because of having a non-legal religious wedding? Please give me some advices! Thank you!

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

We applied I-129f on July. We're at intinial review now, it has been 2 months and we're still waiting for USCIS approve our case.

My fiance is going to see me again in the end of this year. We're planning to have a spiritual wedding, because he's Christian and we want God witness for our love. It will just my fiance, me and the pastor who will say some words for us. We already contacted to a pastor and he agreed to do that for us without any paperwork. And of course that we will have a legal wedding when I come to US.

I just want to know if this thing might cause any trouble for us when I go to interview? Yes, it could cause denial of the K-1 visa. Should I tell them that we have this wedding at the interview? You disclose this wedding and you guarantee a denial of the K-1 visa. Will they deny my visa because of having a non-legal religious wedding? Don't know if you K-1 will be denied. It could be. Please give me some advices! Thank you!

Different couple with a similar problem; http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/331197-non-legal-religious-wedding-before-k1-visa/

For this symbolic wedding, are you willing to risk the K-1 visa and start all over with a CR-1 visa????

Different couple with a similar problem; http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/331197-non-legal-religious-wedding-before-k1-visa/

For this symbolic wedding, are you willing to risk the K-1 visa and start all over with a CR-1 visa????

Thank you Jojo92122,

The thing is we never want to risk the K-1 visa. But we do want to have this symbolic wedding since it's too difficult for us to be apart, this wedding somehow help us have more faith and hope in our love sothat we keep moving on this long journey.

So, we shouldn't tell anything about this wedding at the interview, right! Eventhough it's non-legal!

Filed: Timeline

Thank you Jojo92122,

The thing is we never want to risk the K-1 visa. But we do want to have this symbolic wedding since it's too difficult for us to be apart, this wedding somehow help us have more faith and hope in our love sothat we keep moving on this long journey.

So, we shouldn't tell anything about this wedding at the interview, right! Eventhough it's non-legal!

No. Not right. I am not telling you to lie or omit facts. Tell the truth throughout the process or you put yourself at risk for leaving out a few convenieint facts.

Why have the ceremony at all? Is is really worth putting yourself at risk when you can avoid the issue by not having the ceremony? That's your call. Is it worth it given the risks?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello,

I just want to know if this thing might cause any trouble for us when I go to interview? Should I tell them that we have this wedding at the interview? Will they deny my visa because of having a non-legal religious wedding? Please give me some advices! Thank you!

Below are links to forums from different Embassies/countries, but same scenario...one being a gift given to parents during an engagement ceremony, but was construed by the CO as the couple being married. If that small incident (a gift) could deny these couples, what do you think the CO will think once a Pastor performs a ceremony...legal papers or not??

Case #1

Case #2

I agree with what others have stated...wait until you get to the US then marry. IMHO God will recognize your love for one another without a Pastor speaking for you...because it will come from the heart.

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

it does not sound like a good idea.. you must be patient.. its not worth the risk of k1..

maybe you should try K3.. that is for spouses.. but i dont know much about how that visa works..

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Thanks everyone! After viewing those topics, i guess our plan is not a good idea now. We just simple think that it's not a big deal if we get married without any papers. Our love come from the heart, and we truly love each other that's why we want to have this ceremony. Well, we better be patient and keep waiting. Thank so much again!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

get the K1.. Marry everywhere you want :)

i personally want to get married in USA with K1 with Civil service.. then in Catholic Church.. then in her country, relgious & civil service there.

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Thanks again everyone that commented on my question, it was not something we were going to do to be dishonest but merely out of love for each other. But after viewing all this everyone was 100% right, we will not do this because we do not want to jeapordize any chances that we have. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Think about this way. If your love is true, it will last a lifetime. A few more months waiting should mean very little to do it right and not risk your future together.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Looks like the original question has been answered but let me put a different twist on it and see what is recommended.

Let’s say couple #1 has a spiritual service or maybe even a "real" service but never files the papers with the government. The papers are later destroyed. There is no paper record of the event only the couple and the witnesses who were present know of it.

Question 1: Should Couple #1 file spouse visa even though they cannot prove they are married. All the government and personal records say they are both single and never married.

Question 2: What if couple #1 separate and the women meets someone new and becomes couple #2. Couple #1 did not get a divorce because as far as the government is concerned they were never married. So now couple #2 file K1, Do they mention the first non registered marriage of couple #1 or just ignore it?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

If you marry you have to start over. If you lie you will be denied.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Like Brian said, it's the words a couple says to each other in front of a qualified witness that makes someone married, not the piece of paper. I have read through many threads on this topic, and the consensus seems to be if it could be registered as a real marriage, or even looks like a marriage, it's not a good idea. People usually suggest they will have a religious ceremony, and just not register it, though they could. But it makes me wonder, what could happen if there was a ceremony where the couple was married by someone who would not be qualified to do so legally, to be able to have it registered and documented?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

God I wish I had seen this forum before filing.

So, I mentioned in our petition we would do the church ceremony in Dec. in Italy and then a civil marriage in California upon her arrival. Should I just cancel the church ceremony in Italy, and let the consulate know beforehand, or even better have the minister who wrote our letter of intent with us say that he will not perform a marriage ceremony in Italy?

We thought to just have a reception (shower) so that she could celebrate this event with her friends and family since flying everyone to the USA is out of the question.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You are filed and have only 7 months approximately till you get your visa. Do not commit fraud and or get married you will start over let alone pay more money. i have seen a lot of impatient postings lately, maybe it is the weather.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.