Sizzle

Coming back to US on B-2 visa

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

My grandmother would like to come back to U.S. next year on her 10 year entry B2 visa after going back to India this year. She extended her 6 months entry i-94 card this year(not exceeding 1 year), how long before she can come back to U.S.? Does she have to wait another 6 months before coming back or she can come back in few months after going back to India? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She can try the day after she leaves.

Where does she live?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

In India.

In order to try, she basically needs to get her tickets first. She gets stamped her i94 card in her passport at the airport for 6 months. I want to know if its possible for her to actually come back to US in few months or wait 6 months before coming back? She is too old to face immigration issues at the airport. Thanks for your reply.

She can try the day after she leaves.

Where does she live?

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone

My grandmother would like to come back to U.S. next year on her 10 year entry B2 visa after going back to India this year. She extended her 6 months entry i-94 card this year(not exceeding 1 year), how long before she can come back to U.S.? Does she have to wait another 6 months before coming back or she can come back in few months after going back to India? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

There is no law that says she cannot be admitted to the US immediately after leaving. There is no law that she has to wait 6 months. However, the IO at the POE of entry has the authority to deny her entry if he/she feels that she is abusing the visitor visa to live in the US. Spending significant time in the US could be viewed as living here. There is no way to predict if your grandmother will be admitted back or not.

Filed: Other Timeline

Agreeing with JoJo.

The only thing that is actually written down on this is that a foreigner who spends more than 180 calendar days in any given year in the U.S. is a resident for tax purposes. For that reason CBP will usually not admit somebody for a longer period than that in any year.

For example: person arrives on January 1, stays exactly 4 months, leaves the U.S. again. When the same person comes back to the U.S. the same year, no matter when that is, the most the I-94 will be valid for is likely 2 months 'til the end of that same year, only longer if the visit extends to the next calendar year.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

It does happen, but it is unusual for someone to be admitted for a shorter period.

I have never come across this particular scenario, it may have happened.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hi everyone

hi just a question, my mother in law arrived her may and she was allowed to stay until 11-17-2011... how do we go about extending her stay for just 1 more month? She just wants to attend my daughters bday party on 12-03-11 and leave the week after. Thank you!

1997- met in Highschool (philippines)

2004 - andrea migrated to U.S.

2005 - visited then b.f.

2007 - MARRIED

2008 - visited now husband in philippines

jULY 24, 2009 - andrea got her U.S. Citizenship

july 30,2009- I130 received

august 2009- VISITED hubby

sept 14, 2009- I130 approved

november 12, 2009 -case complete

december 14, 2009- interview -APPROVED!!!!

Filed: Timeline

hi just a question, my mother in law arrived her may and she was allowed to stay until 11-17-2011... how do we go about extending her stay for just 1 more month? She just wants to attend my daughters bday party on 12-03-11 and leave the week after. Thank you!

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=94d12c1a6855d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

you have to file for her extension through USCIS.

Thanks for your reply. She stayed and extended her visa this year(2011). She will return back home in Nov. She is trying to come back next year. My only concern is after going back in Nov this year, can she come back any given time in the year of 2012? or Would she have to wait another 6 months(from what I hear) after Nov 2011 before coming back in 2012 for eg. May 2012?

Agreeing with JoJo.

The only thing that is actually written down on this is that a foreigner who spends more than 180 calendar days in any given year in the U.S. is a resident for tax purposes. For that reason CBP will usually not admit somebody for a longer period than that in any year.

For example: person arrives on January 1, stays exactly 4 months, leaves the U.S. again. When the same person comes back to the U.S. the same year, no matter when that is, the most the I-94 will be valid for is likely 2 months 'til the end of that same year, only longer if the visit extends to the next calendar year.

Thanks everyone who replied to my thread. Thanks for the comments and concerns.

Timeline

Where does she get her Travel Insurance.

Just wondering...

Timeline

Someone of her age, this is a major issue.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.