Dave-n-Oksana

Burning Bridges

23 posts in this topic

Here's the situation, in June I was laid off from a company I had enjoyed working for for 3 years. I was given a small severence and with the current economic and job situation I was in a panic to find a new job.

One month later after submitting my resume to over a hundred businesses, I received one interview. The company was offering much less than I had been earning, but it was better than unemployment so I took the position.

From the 1st day here, I have never felt comfortable, and the owner of the company has thrown many angry tirades towards everyone for the smallest of issues.

I have now been offered a better position at a different company with better pay, and they want me to start working ASAP.

So do I just walk away without notice and tell my current employer that I will not be returning, or spend 2 weeks in hell counting the days?

Just a clarification, my current position has a total of 6 employees (including myself and the owner) and the new company is a world wide organization, working for a former co-worker who I have always enjoyed working with in the past.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Run don't walk to the nearest exit u owe them nothing.

Maybe if it was the previous company. But not this new one

Here's the situation, in June I was laid off from a company I had enjoyed working for for 3 years. I was given a small severence and with the current economic and job situation I was in a panic to find a new job.

One month later after submitting my resume to over a hundred businesses, I received one interview. The company was offering much less than I had been earning, but it was better than unemployment so I took the position.

From the 1st day here, I have never felt comfortable, and the owner of the company has thrown many angry tirades towards everyone for the smallest of issues.

I have now been offered a better position at a different company with better pay, and they want me to start working ASAP.

So do I just walk away without notice and tell my current employer that I will not be returning, or spend 2 weeks in hell counting the days?

Just a clarification, my current position has a total of 6 employees (including myself and the owner) and the new company is a world wide organization, working for a former co-worker who I have always enjoyed working with in the past.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

They wouldn't do you the same courtesy so get out immediately.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

If you don't feel comfortable from the start, chances are that it won't get any better. Times are tough, so I would take the new offer.

Edit: typo

Edited by Nica_In_Love

If you don't feel comfortable from the start, chances are that it won't get any better. Times are tough, so I would take the new offer.

Edit: typo

Oh I am taking the new offer.

I have just been debating on giving 2 weeks notice. It's not like I will be coming back to this company ever again, and I sure won't be using them as references.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

I have just been debating on giving 2 weeks notice. It's not like I will be coming back to this company ever again, and I sure won't be using them as references.

I see. Well, a while ago I was at a job I hated for 2 1/2 weeks but I had to quit (I really wanted to, as well). I could only work for a week after giving notice and I never used them as reference either. If the new job wants you to start ASAP, then go ahead and simply resign and leave. I wish you the best of luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I quit a job right during a staff meeting, got my stuff out of my desk, and left!

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

With a small company, you never know how they're going to react anyway. You could get the boss throwing stuff at you and cursing you on the way out or you could get a raise. "We need you to stay. We need you $XXX,XXX much!"

Some small businesses will fire you on the spot when you put in your notice. Unless it's required, a two week notice is not much of a standard like it used to be - especially in this economy.

If I were in your position I'd tell the new company I could start on a Monday and I'd tell the current company on the Friday before. Have a sit down with the boss and just say, "I've received a better offer and they want me to start immediately so this will be my last day. I really appreciate the opportunity you've given me here and I wish you luck in the future. Thanks."

I know it seems like you're burning a bridge but really, the whole two weeks notice thing is outdated. And, if you don't like that job anyway, why are you still there? I know it's the only job out there but in all seriousness... it's just money. Why do we put up with BS for money? Don't do it anymore. Take the job you don't mind doing and run with it. Don't look back. Don't worry about the "what if" because do you really want to go back working there anyway?

Good luck!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You never know who you will run into from this company later when you are looking for your next job. It's in very poor taste to not give notice, no matter what. taking the classy and professional route will never hurt you, but not doing so just may come back to bite you.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

What's two weeks?

I'd offer two weeks if it were me.

He might toss you out anyway.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Bye.

You have been there two months that kind of thing just vanishes anyway. I am all for giving notices to people I work for particularly when it has been a generally good relationship but if that has been his attitude all along I would have to consider him lucky that I didn't walk out earlier.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

It would be a discourtesy to your current employer to just walk away. Leaving a job graciously is always advantageous. You never know when your path might cross with a former colleague or boss. Also, any new employer would look favorably on you showing consideration for your former employer. Even though you hate the place and can't wait to high-tail it outta there, I'd take the professional route. If they decide to show you the door, you've got a two-week vacation! :)

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]