PalestineMyHeart

Palestinians to seek full UN membership Sept. 23

252 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Well I don't think the UN saw them as colonisers. I know we have had this discussion before and you did bring up the term settler colonisation. But that term was created in the 1990s not the 1940s.

The term has been around since at least the 1600's. Ever heard of the English colonialists? Besides, ew were using that term when I was in gade school studying The Weekly Reader.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

The term has been around since at least the 1600's. Ever heard of the English colonialists? Besides, ew were using that term when I was in gade school studying The Weekly Reader.

The term "settler colonisation" was created by Patrick Wolfe as far as I can tell. You are refering to the classic definition of colonisation. One where an imperial country is involved.

Edited by Sousuke

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Much like the Jews in Nazi Germany, perhaps the Palestinians didn't think things would get as bad as they have, or did in light of the Holocaust. The Jews learned a hard lesson. Perhaps the Palestinians should have paid more attention.

It's not like they were reading about Nazi Germany on the Internet back then. Look at us, we do had immediate information, and we still sit around debating, letting things get worse.

Timeline

The idea is that it establishes the legal groundwork that the Palestinian state is a state based on the 1967 lines. Hence, future negotiations will be conducted between two states (whether Israel recognizes Palestine or not) rather than between a state and a stateless people with no recognized territory.

So Palestine is planning on not just say they are a state they plan on having elections and a constitution? Then to vote a leader that will be who Israel can then negotiate with?

Timeline

So Palestine is planning on not just say they are a state they plan on having elections and a constitution? Then to vote a leader that will be who Israel can then negotiate with?

Well they already have a government, with Mahmoud Abbas as President.

Filed: Timeline

They did, then Israel (and the US) refused to negotiate with them/him. It seems now we have good Palestinians (West Bank) and bad Palestinians (Gaza).

Timeline

It seems now we have good Palestinians (West Bank) and bad Palestinians (Gaza).

You joke, but its generally true. Fatah are moderates at this time that are willing to work towards a two state solution.

Timeline

Well they already have a government, with Mahmoud Abbas as President.

Yes I know that. Now we are getting to what my question is about. Abbas is with the Fatah. Fatah would not renounce their aim that Israel has no right to exist. So right now there is no dialogue as long as Abbas and Fatah is in power. So if they become a state they will have Abbas again as the man to speak to and Israel will not come to the table again and so we are at the same starting point.

Timeline

You joke, but its generally true. Fatah are moderates at this time that are willing to work towards a two state solution.

When did this happen. I did a search and their stated goals and aims are the same as before. They will not renounce that Israel has no right to exist. Why should Israel have a dialogue with Fatah?

Filed: Timeline

No joke. If you cooperate, and don't complain too much when they take away your land, you get to live in the West Bank. If you complain, you go to Gaza.

When did this happen. I did a search and their stated goals and aims are the same as before. They will not renounce that Israel has no right to exist. Why should Israel have a dialogue with Fatah?

Fatah is not Hamas.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

There already is a Palestinian Basic Law which serves as the temporary constitution until the establishment of the independent Palestinian state, and it already provides for elections. (However some shenanigans went on when the U.S. and Israel would not recognize the results of the 2006 elections.)

I wouldn't expect Palestinians to choose their elected representatives based on the preferences of a foreign power any more than I would expect Israelis to.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Timeline

No joke. If you cooperate, and don't complain too much when they take away your land, you get to live in the West Bank. If you complain, you go to Gaza.

Fatah is not Hamas.

I know that. I have went to Fatahs site and wiki and it says on there that Fatah's goals and aims are for no Israel and Palestine to be as one.