ascxvz

wedding plans

72 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

me and my fiance, happens to talk about wedding plans...well, he wants to get married as soon as i come down on the plane...well, i think that is so sweet of him to say that...i would definitely want to do that...but of course being a woman, i would wish for a nice wedding that is well planned and organized...i did somehow talked it to him but not directly...but he answered me in a way that i felt like our wedding day is like an ordinary day for him...because he wants it so simple...no preparations or anything...and i just dont know how to convince him to have a better preparation on our wedding day...well, i dont intend to be wed several times, so i am thinking of a having a nice one...i think he is worried about the money, expenses to get married :( so i told him, would u rather want our wedding one month after i come in USA? well, he retaliated then someone called from his office and our conversation hasn't really ended...I want a nice wedding...i want to feel that our wedding day is specially prepared...but it seems he wanted like a drive-thru...what do you think girls? VJ members and friends? am i asking too much? or what? Hope someone responds...any opinion is appreciated...

We are going to do a simple service in the states and try to save for a big to do in the Phils as we all know that trip is expensive!

I called my fiance at lunch to discuss our wedding plans to see what she thinks. I told here I only wanted her to be happy. She said that if we have tons of people she'd run away. All she really wanted since she was 16 was to be married at the exact chapel that we agreed upon. That was at the core, and once she has that everything else is fluff.

My suggestion -- rather than plan 100% of what you want, figure out the 100% of what you need. Church wedding? White dress? Pets? Once you nail down the minimal needs, the rest will not seem so daunting and important. We had a TV show here called BRIDEZILLA. Check out youtube clips for it. You want it to be fun and memorable, so don't stress out if the champagne is from 2004 and not 2003.

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

We had a TV show here called BRIDEZILLA.

that show almost put me off wanting to get married haha

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

That's a bit stereotypical and sexist, isn't it? Men are rational, women are sentimental bit.

Maybe a bit stereotypical but you can't deny it's the truth. Can you really argue that weddings are much mored geared to the desires of the bride than the groom.. Women are more emotional than men. No not in every case but in General I don't think any rational person would argue that's not true.

And before you label me a total pig :devil: I too would be fine with a JP wedding and be done, but I promised my fiancee a legal wedding here and then when AOS is done, I will fly her home for the wedding with family she has always wanted. Like I said it's all about comprise. respect and love.

Maybe a bit stereotypical but you can't deny it's the truth. Can you really argue that weddings are much mored geared to the desires of the bride than the groom..

Women's dress: $2000+

Men's tux: $50 rental

Women's engagement ring: $LOTS

Men's engagement ring: NONE

Yup, geared to women!

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Maybe a bit stereotypical but you can't deny it's the truth. Can you really argue that weddings are much mored geared to the desires of the bride than the groom.. Women are more emotional than men. No not in every case but in General I don't think any rational person would argue that's not true.

And before you label me a total pig :devil: I too would be fine with a JP wedding and be done, but I promised my fiancee a legal wedding here and then when AOS is done, I will fly her home for the wedding with family she has always wanted. Like I said it's all about comprise. respect and love.

I'd hate to burst your bubble, but, my fiancee- a man- is the one wanting the traditional wedding! I hate, yes I said it, hate the idea of traditional, conventional, money wasting ceremonies (be it a wedding, sweet 16, etc). He, however, experienced his sister's wedding and decided he wanted that for himself. So, we had to compromise. He has taken part in EVERY aspect of the wedding plan.

He lives in Egypt; I live in New York. My parents live in Puerto Rico. I've been to Egypt numerous times; he hasn't been on an airplane. So, since we would have a beach honeymoon anyways, we decided to have a beach reception in Puerto Rico. We'll marry here in NYC, in a yacht before lunch; jeans and t-shirt. In PR we'll have a blessing on the sand and then a private party. Nothing grand, but absolutely beautiful. We both compromised; that's the key. From the favors to the centerpieces to a daiquiri station and our chocolate mousse wedding 'cake,' we've talked about everything. And yes, we've talked about budget. Let me tell you guys not $10K, yet. The hotel (catering, venue, tables and chairs, and alcohol) is $4,600 for 60 people. To that add the centerpieces, favors, invitations, our clothes, rings, chocolate mouse, and other miscellaneous: $1,200. So for now, all we've spent is less than $6,000. Yes, we must purchase our plane tickets to PR, but that won't be more than $800 and our hotel stay will be another $500. My brother is a photographer and since I work in entertainment, 2 musical artists will play as a wedding gift (a reggae band and a DJ). So, our $10K wedding includes everthing, for now.

I suggest, for trips, ask for friends and family to donate 'miles.' Or you can ask for 'points' to purchase wedding related items.

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Timeline

Women's dress: $2000+

Men's tux: $50 rental

Women's engagement ring: $LOTS

Men's engagement ring: NONE

Yup, geared to women!

True, but that's capitalism targeting women's emotions to spend unnecessarily. Everyone- including my sisters and mom- are surprised I'm not wearing a veil. They said 'a wedding is all about the bride's dress and the cake.' I was mortified- to say the least- when I heard that. A wedding is NEVER about that, or at least it should never be about that.

My wedding dress: $117.

His tux: $99.

Engagement ring: $107, each. Yes, he is wearing one.

Timeline

True, but that's capitalism targeting women's emotions to spend unnecessarily. Everyone- including my sisters and mom- are surprised I'm not wearing a veil. They said 'a wedding is all about the bride's dress and the cake.' I was mortified- to say the least- when I heard that. A wedding is NEVER about that, or at least it should never be about that.

My wedding dress: $117.

His tux: $99.

Engagement ring: $107, each. Yes, he is wearing one.

Oh, and by the way we are BOTH taking each others' last names. Very progressive.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

that show almost put me off wanting to get married haha

hahahaha that show its crazy lol i called my now husband groomzilla he was the one telling ppl what to do and where to go haha

[*]june2009: met online

[*]july 28 2009: start dating

[*]october 09 2009: met in person

[*]oct 11 2009:he proposed :D i know crazy lol

[*]october 28 2009: deployment to iraq :(

[*]november 05 2010: visit to mexico for 20 days :D

[*]november 25 2010: last time i hold him :(

[*]january 18 2011: k-1 sent

[*]feb 09 2011:NOA1

[*]june 03 2011: NOA2 :D

[*]july 1st 2011: packet 3 yayy

[*]august 18 2011: interview! hoping for the best

[*]august 18 2011: APROVED :D

[*]sepyember 3 2011: POE

[*]september 6 2011: marriage yayy

jXxLm5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

me and my husband didnt plan the wedding untill i got to the states! we got married 3 days after i moved to the states at the court :D then last saturday got a beautiful ceremony at the beach with family and friends, i also i didnt buy my wedding dress until one day before the wedding :P.

I decided to keep it simple and turn out great! planning a big wedding can be stressful for both.

[*]june2009: met online

[*]july 28 2009: start dating

[*]october 09 2009: met in person

[*]oct 11 2009:he proposed :D i know crazy lol

[*]october 28 2009: deployment to iraq :(

[*]november 05 2010: visit to mexico for 20 days :D

[*]november 25 2010: last time i hold him :(

[*]january 18 2011: k-1 sent

[*]feb 09 2011:NOA1

[*]june 03 2011: NOA2 :D

[*]july 1st 2011: packet 3 yayy

[*]august 18 2011: interview! hoping for the best

[*]august 18 2011: APROVED :D

[*]sepyember 3 2011: POE

[*]september 6 2011: marriage yayy

jXxLm5.png

i understand ur sentiments .... but reality check is a must nowadays (wedding cost vs after the wedding life B-) )

... for us, we really cant come up with what we want :lol: ...so on the last 2 wks of the 90 days we just ran to the county with 1 witness. nothing fancy. :luv:

today, i didnt have a grand wedding but definitely a grand marriage. :D (a sorta wedding-family dinner is in order when we visit home) :)

stay in love :luv:

K1 Visa

01-31-2009 I-129F to USCIS-CSC

02-19-2009 NOA1

03-24-2009 NOA2

06-21-2009 Medical(The Polyclinic, Dubai UAE)

06-28-2009 Interview @ USE AD (approved)

07-01-2009 Visa ready for pick up @ USE AD

07-07-2009 went to pick up my visa (ready 2 fly)

=

09-11-2009 POE-SFO(no questions asked,just a reminder 2 get marry within 90 days)

=

09-28-2009 applied for SSN at Sac., Ca(no hassle)

10-05-2009 received SSN card on mail

11-04-2009 applied for marriage license @ Sacramento County, Ca

11-18-2009 married (marriage certificate on hand-same day)

11-25-2009 I-693 signed by CS(MMR-$70, Vericella-$70, I-693 Form- $15)

=

12-23-2009 mailed AOS to USCIS, Chicago Lockbox (FedEx)

12-28-2009 recvd by USCIS

01-04-2010 check cashed by USCIS

01-08-2010 received NOA1 (I-797C) for I-485, I-765 and I-131

01-11-2010 recvd ASC Appointment Notice for Biometrics

01-25-2010 Biometrics Appointment- West Sac, CA

**alls well @ Biometrics-less than 20 mins.

03-04-2010 recvd notice for AOS interview date

03-04-2010 EAD card production ordered (online notice)

03-08-2010 AP (I-512L) approved-recvd in mail (dated 3/2/10)

03-11-2010 EAD recvd on mail

04-06-2010 AOS interview, APPROVED! Bye USCIS til 2012- Sac, CA

04-15-2010 GC Welcome letter received fr mail

04-16-2010 GC recvd on the mail (Yiihaa!!!)

=

03-08-2012 ROC I-751 mailed to CSC via USPS Priority Mail

03-12-2012 ROC recvd by CSC

03-12-2012 NOA1 (revd on mail 03/19/12)

03-15-2012 ROC check cashed

"Thank you to God and to VJ"

Timeline

me and my husband didnt plan the wedding untill i got to the states! we got married 3 days after i moved to the states at the court :D then last saturday got a beautiful ceremony at the beach with family and friends, i also i didnt buy my wedding dress until one day before the wedding :P.

I decided to keep it simple and turn out great! planning a big wedding can be stressful for both.

I admire you. That's exactly what I personally wanted. Good for you and congratulations!

Just talk talk talk to each other about it. Talk about what you need and what you want. Talk about compromises you both may have to make. Depending on what you both feel you need there may be compromises necessary. For example if you need big wedding then you may have to compromise and have two weddings, if the big wedding can't be planned within the 90 days.

In our case, it was my husband who had the dreams. I'm more about the marriage. I enjoy other people's grand weddings, but to me the important thing is God joining man and wife. I definitely would NOT want to be some huge centre of attention. We didn't do a K1, but our wedding planning was probably a lot simpler than most K1 visa applicants'. Plus we had less time to prepare because we didn't have the whole time whilst waiting for our visa to think about it, we had a short engagement. My husband went and spent lots of money to get his military dress uniform a few months before the wedding. I went to David's Bridal two weeks before the wedding and picked out one of the cheapest dresses. (Lovely dress though!) Had to pay for alterations :angry: lol. Our wedding rings cost about the same. I do have an expensive (but paid for) engagement ring. But that was totally his decision not mine and sometimes I get mad about it when we need to pay to fix stuff around the house :lol: We had a church wedding, maybe 13 people, just his closest family and friends. No bridal party. We had to pay for the marriage licence. The church didn't charge us because it was such a small wedding, but we did give them some money anyway. We didn't plan a reception or anything but my mother-in-law arranged some food and cake and champagne back at her house.

You can do a big wedding with a minimum of money and bother too. Other than inviting people and figuring out a location, you don't need to do much. If you have friends/family you want to come from the Philippines that is the hard part. But otherwise give people a little notice and it's up to them to come or not. Unlike in the UK, the US generally allow you to get married pretty much anywhere. You just need someone to officiate. So it needn't be an expensive venue. As for food and entertainment and flowers and whatever people do, if you're having a big wedding then you expect people to bring gifts. So why not tell them to forget the gifts and instead provide food or help pay for the entertainment?

Anyway, talk talk talk with your fiance. You both need to understand exactly what each other wants, and why. With a K1 I can understand wanting to marry immediately. But waiting 3 or 4 weeks should be ok too, and not affect too much. Maybe if someone's worried about health insurance they need to make sure their fiance has some kind of short-term coverage whilst waiting to marry. But other than that...you should be able to figure out some way to give both of you exactly what you want.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am actually a female and bringing my fiance, he wants to do all of the traditional things. Get counseled by the pastor, plan a wedding, etc... I just want to get married and be done with it. I don't want a big wedding or anything.

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.