ascxvz

wedding plans

72 posts in this topic

no man would be comfortable telling his fiancee he is unable to afford something...

^^^ BS...I was perfectly comfortable discussing with my fiancée what I could and couldn't afford.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I want a nice, but budget conscious wedding, too, but.....my family has so many ideas (read that as criticism) that this is impossible. I have given up. We were planning to have a wedding in a state park (150$/day for pavilion with stoves, BBQ cookers/AC/Heat/tables), cake that I make, food that my son and my ex cook, and family and friends to help celebrate...but... Apparently the details are sooooo important to my family that they have all but ruined any dreams I have for "our" day. You can do it in lots of nice ways and keep the budget down. It would be nice to have help from friends in that area to get ready.

For us, because of the pressure that had me in tears repeatedly, (my sister hasn't spoken to me in over 2 weeks because she is so angry at me because I don't want her to plan our honeymoon--or "finance" it=charge it and that my low-cost IDEAS-not plans--are all "trashy s---"), we have now decided that we won't tell anyone except my son until moments before it happens.

As for a JP ceremony in the courthouse (with a judge), here in the US, that is usually considered to be very trashy/low class. It is what you do when you are 16 and pregnant and ashamed to be getting married. That may not be everyone's thoughts, but that is the general consensus. If you are proud of your spouse-to-be, you can still be very budget conscious but make sure that you show the world how proud you are to stand next to that person at the ceremony and for the rest of your life.

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Marriage must be founded with pure understanding... It's not about how grand the wedding is but how you keep the marriage works. If he can't seem to afford a big wedding for now then you must understand him... Again it's not about being big and opulent but how you'll keep it sacred... Sometimes we must learn how to appreciate simple joys and blessings to see how true happiness really means :) Good luck and all the best to both of you <3

i super agree with you!!!

if you really love the person then you have to be more understanding...

Timeline

I used to dream of a romantic beach wedding but since I have to be practical, I think there's no need for that. It will be too expensive. Me and my fiance will do the same thing. The "drive thru" wedding :)haha. After all, the main reason why I want to marry him is because I love him and not because of what he can give me.

I know what you feel because we have this fairy tale fantasy as a woman but I guess we are grown ups and should see the reality of life. Some people want it to be memorable and others just want to brag about it. You'll be fine. Instead of feeling bad about it, think of activities that you can do together that could be captured by the camera, it's a proof of happy memories too.

definitely true...very nice and practical opinion...i super like...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

im in the same situation with my fiancee, she wants to get married and start our life together. Me on the other side, i've always dreamnt of a big fancy wedding and want that for her as well, i mean, she deserves it, she is the love of my life<3 I dont have the money to do what i've always planned, she sort of came into my life unexpectedly, but i dont regret it. I told her this, we can get married civil when you get here, a few people and family, but one day 4-5 years from now (mind you we are both college students) we would have saved enought money to do the wedding we always wanted and DESERVE! that was our compromise and it the best way to both get what we want.

United-States-of-America-LH.gif Bryan and Isabel Brazil-Brasília-National-Flag-RH.gif

Gonzalez

Our Timeline

03/02/2011 - Engaged

USCIS / VSC

12/20/2011: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox

02/16/2012: NOA1 Received, Forwarded to Vermont Service Center

XX/XX/2012: NOA2

NVC

XX/XX/2012: NVC received

XX/XX/2012: Case number

US Embassy Rio De Janeiro

XX/XX/2012: Embassy received

XX/XX/2012: Medical

XX/XX/2012: Interview

XX/XX/2012: Visa in hand

XX/XX/2012: POE Newark, New Jersey

FkP5m4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

me and my fiance, happens to talk about wedding plans...well, he wants to get married as soon as i come down on the plane...well, i think that is so sweet of him to say that...i would definitely want to do that...but of course being a woman, i would wish for a nice wedding that is well planned and organized...i did somehow talked it to him but not directly...but he answered me in a way that i felt like our wedding day is like an ordinary day for him...because he wants it so simple...no preparations or anything...and i just dont know how to convince him to have a better preparation on our wedding day...well, i dont intend to be wed several times, so i am thinking of a having a nice one...i think he is worried about the money, expenses to get married :( so i told him, would u rather want our wedding one month after i come in USA? well, he retaliated then someone called from his office and our conversation hasn't really ended...I want a nice wedding...i want to feel that our wedding day is specially prepared...but it seems he wanted like a drive-thru...what do you think girls? VJ members and friends? am i asking too much? or what? Hope someone responds...any opinion is appreciated...

Yours is not a normal relationship and always keep that in mind. Many of your benefits as a resident depend on you getting married and many are very important for life. The sooner you get married, the sooner you can be protected and receive benefits such as medical insurance, file for your green card, etc. This is not something to be taken lightly.

We got married on the front lawn by a neighbor who is a Justice of the Peace 8 days after Alla arrived and she had medical insurance for her and the boys before the end of the month she arrived. Life insurance from me within 2 weeks.

I would suggest you get married right away in a simple ceremony, then file for your benefits, get your insurance from his job, etc., and THEN make plans for a larger wedding ceremony

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

My son and I have done a lot of photography of weddings, so I may have a different point of view than most. Comming from the guy's side if things there are a couple things you should really consider.

1) If this is a international wedding, then one of two of you aren't really going to be able to have a lot of their friends and family at the wedding. While the man wants to give his bride everything to make her dreams come true, if the wedding is very unballanced, is that really going to accompolish what you are wanting?

2) What is the wedding really about and who is it about? To me, it is about the man and wife, God, the pastor, and possibly their children. For everyone else it is basically just a show and a party.

3) Planning and executing a wedding can add a lot of stress both financially and emotionally to a new couple. The bigger the wedding the more stress. The more people, the more there is a chance that someone is going to do something unexpected or just basically wrong.

4) A lot of people think that they need a big church wedding, but a church is really where people come to meet, it isn't the house that God built, it's the house that men built for people to worship God. God created the outdoors and in many ways He created places that are much more beautiful than man would ever build. Outdoor weddings also have the opportuinty for a whole lot more varity of colors and backgrounds for the pictures that will help you remember that day for the rest of your lives. That being said, a rainny day outdoor wedding isn't such a good thing. :)

5) As others have said, consider the expense. Plane tickets, visa's, medical exams, trips back and forth, phone bills and all the stuff that comes with an international wedding can create a financial strain on most people. Plus, do you want to spend the money on a wedding and big party or would you rather go see the new country together and have a nice honeymoon where you can enjoy each other?

6) I think you need to consider not just the financial expense, but also the "time" expense of a wedding. I know in my case, time is a huge factor, between work, keeping up housework, and keeping up with all the other stuff around my house, there are weeks that go by where time is just a major issue. Add to all of that the idea that he has been trying to get things ready for his bride to be living with him. Now add on all of the paperwork and such that the Immigration process has added into the mix, and the candle is certainly burning from both ends. Then keep in mind the expense and paperwork that is yet to come if you have to file for AOS and such.

7) This guy obviously loves you very much to do all that he has to make an international couple come together. I am sure he wants everything for his new wife, but some understanding and returning that love can go a long way.

8) Think of the marriage, not the wedding. Marriage is hard work and even harder when the two of you have to adjust to different cultures and such. One of the biggest rules of making a marriage work is to not do harm to the marriage. Find a way to compromise on things, including the wedding if necessary, so that you keep the marriage solid. Protect that marriage with your life, because that is what you are promising each other that you will do. I have seen too many big weddings ruin a marriage from the start. So think about it, is the marriage the fairy tail or the wedding, and what is most important?

9) Go to premarriage counseling and take it very seriously! Start things off on the right foot with good communications and some help so that you don't make the mistakes that damage the marriage. This also helps you to get to know each other better. Yes, this probably means that you won't get married right off of the plane, but building a successful marriage takes work and a solid foundation.

10) Do special and unique things in the wedding to show your love to each other! This doesn't mean go buy each other some gift, it means do something for each other that means a whole lot to the both of you.

11) I am probably going to get flamed for this, but do not do everything and just expect him to show up! The wedding and the marriage is about the two of you and is the beginning of your lives together, you should start out with solid communications and working together, because you are going to have to work on and communicate with each other about a whole lot of things from that day forward! Make sure you both are on the same page from the very start. Certainly, you can agree on what parts each of you are going to do, but you need to walk the highway of life together, you had better get on the entrance ramp together.

I hope this helps and I pray that you have a long and happy marriage.

--Jim

04/24/11 - Visit Fiance in Phil.

05/01/11 - Return from Phil. (Fantastic trip)

05/03/11 - Signed up with RapidVisa to help putting paperwork together.

05/10/11 - Requested signed documents and such from Fiance

05/16/11 - Recieved signed documents from Fiance (DHL)

05/19/11 - Application sent to Texas Service Center

05/25/11 - NOA1 - Said case was transfered to California Service Center

08/16/11 - NOA2

09/02/11 - Application Fee's paid via BDO

09/05/11 - Interview Appointment Confirmation

09/12/11 - Medical Day 1

09/13/11 - Medical Day 2

- K2 passed and received vacinations

- K1 required Sputum Culture -- SLMEC -x-ray looked "cloudy"

09/15/11 - Interview date, (Canceled)

09/26/11 - Culture Day 1

09/28/11 - Culture Day 3 -- 1st part of testing Negative

11/03/11 - New Interview Appointment Confirmation for 12/05/11 (trying to avoid delay)

11/28/11 - Sputum Culture Negative

12/01/11 - Vacinations and retesting for K1, retesting for K2, Medical Cleared

12/05/11 - Interview - Given 221(g)

-- Wanted CENOMAR for daughter's father directly from NSO, she had a NSO origional document in hand

-- Required a police clearance from Japan even though it has been over 10 years.

12/06/11 - Applied to NSO for daughter's father's CENOMAR to be sent directly to NSO

12/07/11 - Applied to Japanese Embassy in Manila for Police Clearance

01/20/12 - Japanese Police Clearance is at the embassy

02/07/12 - Visa's issued

02/23/12 - K1 Visa Expired

02/26/12 - Flights to US

***** Big Mess ****

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

i want whatever my fiancee wants... i learnt that very early on in our relationship

I-129F SENT............................................08/15/2011

NOA1 TEXT/EMAIL...................................08/22/2011

NOA2 TEXT/EMAIL. NO RFE.....................01/05/2012

NVC RECEIVED......................................01/21/2012

NVC LEFT...............................................01/24/2012

PACKET 3 RECEIVED..............................02/01/2012

PACKET 3 RETURNED.............................02/04/2012

MEDICAL................................................02/17/2012

DS-2001 MAILED.....................................02/23/2012

PACKET 4 RECEIVED..............................03/02/2012

INTERVIEW............................................03/14/2012 APPROVED

POE ATLANTA.........................................04/03/2012

AOS approved 3/29/13 after almost 10 months of waiting. No RFE's and no interview.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

I don't think it is really fair to invoke the special circumstances as a way out of a regular wedding. If anything, the situation gives you the possibility of having two weddings, not to go as Vegas as possible.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

me and my fiance, happens to talk about wedding plans...well, he wants to get married as soon as i come down on the plane...well, i think that is so sweet of him to say that...i would definitely want to do that...but of course being a woman, i would wish for a nice wedding that is well planned and organized...i did somehow talked it to him but not directly...but he answered me in a way that i felt like our wedding day is like an ordinary day for him...because he wants it so simple...no preparations or anything...and i just dont know how to convince him to have a better preparation on our wedding day...well, i dont intend to be wed several times, so i am thinking of a having a nice one...i think he is worried about the money, expenses to get married :( so i told him, would u rather want our wedding one month after i come in USA? well, he retaliated then someone called from his office and our conversation hasn't really ended...I want a nice wedding...i want to feel that our wedding day is specially prepared...but it seems he wanted like a drive-thru...what do you think girls? VJ members and friends? am i asking too much? or what? Hope someone responds...any opinion is appreciated...

I think that this is pretty typical for many men and women. Men are usually not big on ceremony, women usually like to feel special, and are more sentimental about such things. The key to any good relationship is comprise and consideration. He needs to understand this is a very special day for you and you don't want to get married as if it is the Drive Thru at Jollibee. However you should also consider his feelings and try to compromise. on a very special but simple day. You can keep it simple, but he needs to realize sometimes you have to do a few things you may not want to if you love someone.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

That's a bit stereotypical and sexist, isn't it? Men are rational, women are sentimental bit.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I totally understand what you want, I wanted the same thing, in Egypt we love big weddings, all my relatives and friends had huge weddings and I wanted it too, plan something you both can afford, you can have your dream wedding it just doesn't have to be at the Plaza! Can you or your parents help out with the wedding expenses? That's what we did, me and him split all costs in half, if he can't afford it please understand that and be considerate, whatever he has, it can be better spent (on a house or a car OR savings).

Weddings are important, but would you rather have a wedding or a marriage? I asked myself that. A wedding lasts for a few hours and later on you'll forget most of it anyway! :P

K1 Timeline
03/08/10 - I-129F packet sent to VSC
07/07/10 - Interview Date - APPROVED!
10/28/10 - POE @ Chicago
11/21/10 - Marriage

AOS, AP, EAD.
01/18/11 - AOS, AP, EAD packet sent
03/07/2011 - Biometrics appointment
03/29/2011 - AOS, AP and EAD approved (After 2.5 months)
04/04/2011 - Green card in hand[/size]

ROC
02/12/2013 - ROC packet sent
02/21/2013 - NOA1 Received
03/09/2013 - Biometrics appointment
06/19/2013 - ROC APPROVED!

N-400 Naturalization

06/20/2014 - N-400 Packet sent

07/15/2014 - Check Cashedarrow-10x10.png

08/04/2014 - Biometrics

02/19/2015 - Interview

03/26/2015 - Oath Ceremony
event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

but he answered me in a way that i felt like our wedding day is like an ordinary day for him...

Try to understand that the pomp and ceremony mean nothing to the true meaning of two people becoming married.

You should be able to do both, albeit, separately, just because you are not in a "regular" relationship, so dictated by USCIS.

Be glad you two can become married and live together here in teh US.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.