PalestineMyHeart

Saudis sound warning on blocking Palestinian statehood

157 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
The United States must support the Palestinian bid for statehood at the United Nations this month or risk losing the little credibility it has in the Arab world. If it does not, American influence will decline further, Israeli security will be undermined and Iran will be empowered, increasing the chances of another war in the region.

Moreover, Saudi Arabia would no longer be able to cooperate with America in the same way it historically has. With most of the Arab world in upheaval, the “special relationship” between Saudi Arabia and the United States would increasingly be seen as toxic by the vast majority of Arabs and Muslims, who demand justice for the Palestinian people.

Saudi leaders would be forced by domestic and regional pressures to adopt a far more independent and assertive foreign policy. Like our recent military support for Bahrain’s monarchy, which America opposed, Saudi Arabia would pursue other policies at odds with those of the United States, including opposing the government of Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki in Iraq and refusing to open an embassy there despite American pressure to do so. The Saudi government might part ways with Washington in Afghanistan and Yemen as well.

The Palestinian people deserve statehood and all that it entails: official recognition, endorsement by international organizations, the ability to deal with Israel on more equal footing and the opportunity to live in peace and security.

Israel should see the Palestinian bid for statehood not as a threat, but as a chance to return to the negotiating table and prevent further conflict. Recent polls show that up to 70 percent of Palestinians say they believe there will be a new intifada if the deadlock is not broken shortly; this should encourage Israel to seek peace with the moderate Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas.

The Obama administration has had ample opportunities to lead Israelis and Palestinians into bilateral peace talks, but American policy makers have unfortunately been more preoccupied with a deteriorating domestic economy and a paralyzed political scene than with finding a workable solution to this epic injustice. Because Washington has offered no viable new proposals, the least it can do is step aside and not hinder Saudi, European and moderate Arab efforts to advance Palestinian rights at the United Nations.

Even Israeli officials have recently admitted privately to their European counterparts that only Saudi Arabia will be able to give the Palestinians the required religious, political and financial legitimacy they need to complete a deal with Israel. Saudi Arabia had earmarked over $2.5 billion in aid to the Palestinian Authority since June 2009, making it by far the largest single supporter of the Palestinian cause. But this money will not do much good until Palestinians are granted their fundamental rights.

The 2002 Arab Peace Plan must be the starting point for negotiations; a two-state solution based on the 1967 borders is the only realistic foundation on which to restart talks, seeing as how the Oslo Peace Process has proved fruitless.

The Palestinian statehood initiative is a chance to replace Oslo with a new paradigm based on state-to-state negotiations — a win-win proposition that makes the conflict more manageable and lays the groundwork for a lasting solution.

The only losers in this scenario would be Syria and Iran, pariah states that have worked tirelessly — through their support of Hamas and Hezbollah — to undermine the peace process. Saudi Arabia recently played a leading role in isolating Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s brutal government by demanding an end to the killing of protesters and recalling the Saudi ambassador from Damascus. The impending fall of Mr. Assad’s barbarous regime provides a rare strategic opportunity to weaken Iran. Without this vital ally, Tehran will find it more difficult to foment discord in the Arab world.

Today, there is a chance for the United States and Saudi Arabia to contain Iran and prevent it from destabilizing the region. But this opportunity will be squandered if the Obama administration’s actions at the United Nations force a deepening split between our two countries.

Although Saudi Arabia is willing and able to chart a new and divergent course if America fails to act justly with regard to Palestine, the Middle East would be far better served by continuing cooperation and good will between these longstanding allies.

American support for Palestinian statehood is therefore crucial, and a veto will have profound negative consequences. In addition to causing substantial damage to American-Saudi relations and provoking uproar among Muslims worldwide, the United States would further undermine its relations with the Muslim world, empower Iran and threaten regional stability. Let us hope that the United States chooses the path of justice and peace.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/12/opinion/veto-a-state-lose-an-ally.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=al-faisal&st=cse

Turki al-Faisal was once Director General of Saudi Arabia's intelligence agency and is the nephew of King Abdullah.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Nothing substantial to disagree with in the OP beyond my often stated two big issues for Palestinians. First off they aren't a single homogenous entity all seeking a peaceful two state solution themselves. Second Palestinians themselves (at least various members of leadership amongst their various factions both current and historically) have done as much to prevent statehood as Israel, the US, Syria, Egypt, Iran, the list goes on and on.

I support a two state solution, and one that works will need to be costly for Israel in the short term. A moderate Palestine which actively worked to root out radicals in their midst, actively protected Israelis in their midst, rejected Iranian and similar influences etc would be great. But I don't see that in the offing and just don't see where the Palestinians are ready to make a viable state reality at the moment. I understand the desire.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Timeline

Nothing substantial to disagree with in the OP beyond my often stated two big issues for Palestinians. First off they aren't a single homogenous entity all seeking a peaceful two state solution themselves. Second Palestinians themselves (at least various members of leadership amongst their various factions both current and historically) have done as much to prevent statehood as Israel, the US, Syria, Egypt, Iran, the list goes on and on.

I support a two state solution, and one that works will need to be costly for Israel in the short term. A moderate Palestine which actively worked to root out radicals in their midst, actively protected Israelis in their midst, rejected Iranian and similar influences etc would be great. But I don't see that in the offing and just don't see where the Palestinians are ready to make a viable state reality at the moment. I understand the desire.

That is essentially the standard Israeli government position - "we support a two-state solution" (without any actual description of what a Palestinian state would territorially consist of)... "but not yet."

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

That is essentially the standard Israeli government position - "we support a two-state solution" (without any actual description of what a Palestinian state would territorially consist of)... "but not yet."

I would say we we need to start at the 67 borders. Finesse them a bit, but we need Palestinian leadership ready to roughly emulate the qualities I described in my first post, which doesn't mean an Israeli puppet but a serious cohesive state aimed at lifting up Palestinians.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!

Remove Conditions:

Timeline

I would say we we need to start at the 67 borders. Finesse them a bit, but we need Palestinian leadership ready to roughly emulate the qualities I described in my first post, which doesn't mean an Israeli puppet but a serious cohesive state aimed at lifting up Palestinians.

#1. I never called you a puppet of anyone. I simply stated the truth - that "Yes, but not now" has been the official Israeli government stance for decades.

And while the Israeli government continues to stall on final negotiations, it continues to attempt to alter those final negotiations with ongoing strategies to appropriate more Palestinian land - building The Wall on Palestinian land, expanding the illegal settlements, the moves to consolidate its control of the Jordan Valley, etc.

It has become obvious that Israel's goal is to continue stalling forever, or at least until it is able to seize the rest of the land that it desires.

#2. The Palestinian statehood initiative specifically mentions the '67 borders as the starting point, with "negotiated" adjustments.

#3. And as far as your list of pre-conditions...

Calling upon both parties to fulfil their obligations under relevant provisions of the road map, the Palestinian Authority to undertake visible efforts on the ground to arrest, disrupt and restrain individuals and groups conducting and planning violent attacks, and the Government of Israel to take no actions undermining trust, including deportations and attacks on civilians and extrajudicial killings

http://unispal.un.org/UNISPAL.NSF/0/F3B95E613518A0AC85256EEB00683444

Guess which side lived up to those obligations ?

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

What we really ought to do is just give Obama a big magic marker and say, "have at it, Mr. Peace Prize."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Wife I meant I don't believe the Palestinians are under any obligation to create a state that is merely an Israeli puppet. I didn't think you were calling me an Israeli puppet.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1

Remove Conditions:

Timeline

Wife I meant I don't believe the Palestinians are under any obligation to create a state that is merely an Israeli puppet. I didn't think you were calling me an Israeli puppet.

My bad, Ready - I mis-read what you wrote. Sorry for my mangled interpretation.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

What we really ought to do is just give Obama a big magic marker and say, "have at it, Mr. Peace Prize."

We're still waiting for him to earn that prize. So far, it seems he got it just for being Black.

Timeline

We're still waiting for him to earn that prize. So far, it seems he got it just for being Black.

Racist.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Turki al-Faisal was once Director General of Saudi Arabia's intelligence agency and is the nephew of King Abdullah.

Shouldn't be much of a problem, as long as they don't expect to get Jerusalem.

Guess which side lived up to those obligations ?

Neither have.

Slim, are you that desperate to score political hack points in every thread?

Edited by The_Dude

Timeline
Slim, are you that desperate to score political hack points in every thread?

I only post that as often as you post about my criminal record.

Русский форум член.