Update on the denial

163 posts in this topic

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, and I do not know the hardships for not being able to meet in person. While the others pray for you, I gonna lay the facts on you.

Stop wasting time and money on an attorney trying to appeal this. The USCIS has taken the stance long ago as being nearly impossible to meet in person is the only acceptable reason. Cultral prohibition of meeting....never happen in Egypt. Off hand I know of no culture that prohibits meeting beforehand. If there is, then they expect you to observe all facets of that culture. You can read all the appeals on the USCIS website, and the only one that Ive ever seen that was successful was someone on a Kidney dialysis maching who could not fly. All others, including financial, family, etc. were upheld on appeal (i.e. petitioner denied). Bite the bullet and go visit and meet and document the meeting. It will get a K-1 approved but no necessarily a visa.

good luck

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Timeline
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, and I do not know the hardships for not being able to meet in person. While the others pray for you, I gonna lay the facts on you.

Stop wasting time and money on an attorney trying to appeal this. The USCIS has taken the stance long ago as being nearly impossible to meet in person is the only acceptable reason. Cultral prohibition of meeting....never happen in Egypt. Off hand I know of no culture that prohibits meeting beforehand. If there is, then they expect you to observe all facets of that culture. You can read all the appeals on the USCIS website, and the only one that Ive ever seen that was successful was someone on a Kidney dialysis maching who could not fly. All others, including financial, family, etc. were upheld on appeal (i.e. petitioner denied). Bite the bullet and go visit and meet and document the meeting. It will get a K-1 approved but no necessarily a visa.

good luck

I agree with this, and I agree with the government for not issuing immigrant visas to people who haven't met. I'm sorry, but that's the honest truth.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Other Timeline
I agree with this, and I agree with the government for not issuing immigrant visas to people who haven't met. I'm sorry, but that's the honest truth.

While I agree with this in theory, I discount statements like these from people who file for SO's in European countries--especially the UK--as it's so easy--both in time of flight and cost of air fare--for Europeans to travel to the US or vice versa. It's NOT so easy for people from some other far off countries.

Nevertheless, I do agree with the underlying thought. I also believe people getting married should meet in person before getting engaged.

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

While I agree with this in theory, I discount statements like these from people who file for SO's in European countries--especially the UK--as it's so easy--both in time of flight and cost of air fare--for Europeans to travel to the US or vice versa. It's NOT so easy for people from some other far off countries.

Nevertheless, I do agree with the underlying thought. I also believe people getting married should meet in person before getting engaged.

That doesn't even apply to our situation. I met my husband face to face in 1997, we were engaged and married in 2001, and I have been living in the UK since then. It has been an incredible hardship. I would never have the cheek to apply for a visa for someone I'd never met; I'd just expect them to deny it.

As for traveling to Egypt...if you can get to Europe, you can get to Egypt. It's so dirt cheap to fly there from here these days that there's not much of an excuse for it financially.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

The difference between the cost of flights between US/UK to US/.... a couple of 100 pounds maybe? If someone has difficulty in raising money for flights/accomodation how will they cope in supporting another person for months on end?

Plus, having a person come over to live you that you have never spent anytime with physically?

Don't know if this is what has happened in the OP's case of course....so not necessarily aiming this at them.

Filed: Other Timeline
The difference between the cost of flights between US/UK to US/.... a couple of 100 pounds maybe?

Why don't you give it a try yourself and price some flights from JFK to Heathrow or JFK to Paris, and then try JFK to Rangoon, Burma or Auckland, New Zealand or Vientiane, Laos. You tell us the price difference. Is it only a couple of 100 pounds?

Not every one who immigrates to the US needs the financial support of the USC. Plenty of capable people with their own education come over to the US and acquire very high paying jobs. It is not always necessary for the USC to be financially supporting the beneficiary.

Read my post again, my point wasn't just about the cost of airfare but also the cost of time and flight time. A flight from JFK to Heathrow takes how long? Under 3 hours with a Concorde (yes, there's no more Concordes now.) But a flight from JFK to Auckland, New Zealand takes 24 hours or more (No direct flights possible).

AOS I-485

07/10/07 - Sent I-485 via USPS Priority Mail to Chicago Lockbox

07/23/07 - Received NOA1 in my home mailbox

08/13/07 - Received ASC Biometrics Appointment Letter in my home mailbox

08/31/07 - USCIS mailed out Appointment letter with Postmark Date 8/31/07

09/04/07 - Received actual Appointment Letter (Interivew Date 10/30/07)

09/06/07 - Completed Biometrics Appointment at local ASC

10/30/07 - Scheduled AOS Interview Appointment - Approved

I-751

08/13/09 - Sent I-751 to CSC

08/17/09 - Receipt date of NOA

09/16/09 - Biometrics

09/17/09 - "Touched"

12/15/09 - Card production ordered

12/17/09 - Approval notice sent

12/21/09 - Received 10-Year GC and Welcome Letter

N-400

08/16/10 - Sent N-400 to AZ Lockbox via USPS First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation

08/18/10 - USPS Confirms delivery: August 18, 2010, 9:57 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85036

08/24/10 - Check #501 for $675 cleared my account @ 11:20 pm EDT

08/27/10 - Received NOA dated 8/23/10 with a Priority date of 8/18/10

09/07/10 - Received Biometric RFE dated 9/3/10 -- Fingerprint apt. schedule 10/1/10

10/01/10 - Fingerprint Appointment-- Completed

10/09/10 - Received Interview Appointment Letter dated 10/6/10 for scheduled interview on 11/09/10

11/09/10 - Interview Passed

11/18/10 - Oath Ceremony

Ok...I just caught up via the now closed thread on OT. Although I am still somewhat confused about the hardship, is it about being afraid of flying? :unsure: not sure I am getting that right but if so I too also have a great fear of flying......this website and forum has been a great help to me....

http://www.fearofflying.com/message.htm

And if am completely barking up the wrong tree I apologise in advance :lol:

That doesn't even apply to our situation. I met my husband face to face in 1997, we were engaged and married in 2001, and I have been living in the UK since then. It has been an incredible hardship. I would never have the cheek to apply for a visa for someone I'd never met; I'd just expect them to deny it.

As for traveling to Egypt...if you can get to Europe, you can get to Egypt. It's so dirt cheap to fly there from here these days that there's not much of an excuse for it financially.

My ticket to Pakistan cost 1900.00 :huh:

is this chump change?

shon.gif

The difference between the cost of flights between US/UK to US/.... a couple of 100 pounds maybe?

Why don't you give it a try yourself and price some flights from JFK to Heathrow or JFK to Paris, and then try JFK to Rangoon, Burma or Auckland, New Zealand or Vientiane, Laos. You tell us the price difference. Is it only a couple of 100 pounds?

Not every one who immigrates to the US needs the financial support of the USC. Plenty of capable people with their own education come over to the US and acquire very high paying jobs. It is not always necessary for the USC to be financially supporting the beneficiary.

Read my post again, my point wasn't just about the cost of airfare but also the cost of time and flight time. A flight from JFK to Heathrow takes how long? Under 3 hours with a Concorde (yes, there's no more Concordes now.) But a flight from JFK to Auckland, New Zealand takes 24 hours or more (No direct flights possible).

Well actually I priced flights between Gatwick/US and US/Africa...cos it seemed more relevant ;) and yes your concord idea is moot. And I didn't say petitioner would be supporting the beneficary forever....I said months on end....looking for work in a new country doesn't alway come easy and right away. Qualifications in one country doesn't always mean they will be recognized in the US either btw.

My ticket to Pakistan cost 1900.00 :huh:

is this chump change?

WHOA! I though my $1700 ticket to Russia was steep! :o

And Rebeccajo is probably correct, it is very difficult to get a visitor's visa from most countries, the person applying must have some VERY STRONG ties to their home country to prove they are not intending on immigrating.

As for the OP, if it is the trip to meet in person, then what about the trip makes it a hardship? Cost of travel, I would imagine it would be about the same as the lawyer, I saved 6 months for my trip.

Fear of flying, well many do have that fear, I suspect it would take an awful lot to prove that you could not get over this fear, but for your love, do you not think it is worth even a try?

I do not mean to seem harsh but there is a saying, "Love conquers all" not "love conquers all but fear".

I love to fly but I always saw the 747s and thought to myself, I could NEVER fly in one of those (they scare me to pieces...since then I have and enjoyed it very much, well going anyway! :lol:

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

So the usual judgemental VJ crud has taken over yet another thread. Its so easy when it's NOT YOU, isn't it? But hey, makes a person all feel snuggly warm that he/she are always better in their views then some poor sod who obviously has no clue, eh?

We're all adults on this board, we've all been through so many scenarios in our minds. What works for one may not for another for whatever reason isn't even any of our business, so all the hot air is just ego stroking and not advice giving as you may like to label it. Folks suffer enough stress and anxiety in this process without this fluff. It's a shame really. All the helpful information gets lost in the inevitable muck.

(flame away... as is the VJ style.)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.