Danno

MEL GIBSON working on new movie... w/ Jewish theme.

55 posts in this topic

Point to slim.

Oh snap!

How can I get points when I don't read, don't know history, have a criminal record... I mean, none of this is making any sense. How can it be? How can I possibly be right about something?

They get around it by 'loosely basing' it on real people and real events. A slight of hand.

Isn't that what Hollywood always does?

Yes, and I don't think the average person even cares if the context being used to deliver the entertainment is accurate or precise.

I kind of do.

I refuse to watch superhero movies because it's simply impossible. I'll watch something like Bourne but just because it "could" happen (much like Angelina Jolie "could" beat up Liev Schreiber or Bruce Willis "could" single-handedly stop terrorist attacks) but I prefer something like the Patriot any day. Sure, it's not 100% accurate but it's a lot closer to the actual situations faced by the people involved than something like, say, Cowboys vs. Aliens.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

How do you know it's close to the actual situations?

It's fiction slim.

Remember when I said something about being an historian?

Read up on it. You'll see things that were depicted in the movie were not that far off from reality. Sure, it wasn't exact, but their were definitely similarities. And all their talk of the Seven Years War and the respect the men paid him because of his actions during those days... it's not too hard to find men like that in the history books.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Remember when I said something about being an historian?

Read up on it. You'll see things that were depicted in the movie were not that far off from reality. Sure, it wasn't exact, but their were definitely similarities. And all their talk of the Seven Years War and the respect the men paid him because of his actions during those days... it's not too hard to find men like that in the history books.

Yes... I remember you made yet another unsubstantiated claim to fame that is not supported by anything you have posted in support of it.

Yes - there were basic similarities. Basic.

Yes... I remember you made yet another unsubstantiated claim to fame that is not supported by anything you have posted in support of it.

What other claims to fame have I made?

Yes - there were basic similarities. Basic.

And that's all you need.

Русский форум член.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What other claims to fame have I made?

And that's all you need.

If we only need a basic similarity, then you could say that as long as a movie shows a saloon, people wearing hats, dirty old clothes and carrying six-shooters that you have a historically authentic depiction of the Old West.

Edited by fishdude

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Lets go at this from another direction.

Fish, name a few movies you found historically accurate.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

The Lion in Winter is supposed to be rather close to being historically accurate. Andrei Rublev and the Battle of Algiers too for starters. All 3 of those are fantastic movies-definitely in a whole different class than Mel Gibson could ever aspire to. (I say rather close, because sorry, slim, I think you may be a wee bit generous in your definition as it were)

Edited by sandinista!

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

If we only need a basic similarity, then you could say that as long as a movie shows a saloon, people wearing hats, dirty old clothes and carrying six-shooters that you have a historically authentic depiction of the Old West.

You would. Until the aliens showed up.

The Lion in Winter is supposed to be rather close to being historically accurate. Andrei Rublev and the Battle of Algiers too for starters. All 3 of those are fantastic movies-definitely in a whole different class than Mel Gibson could ever aspire to. (I say rather close, because sorry, slim, I think you may be a wee bit generous in your definition as it were)

Why have I never heard of those movies?

Of course there are differences between small movies and huge Hollywood blockbusters. That doesn't necessarily mean one is more accurate than the other, especially when they're both fictional depictions of events based on reality.

Русский форум член.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Why have I never heard of those movies?

Of course there are differences between small movies and huge Hollywood blockbusters. That doesn't necessarily mean one is more accurate than the other, especially when they're both fictional depictions of events based on reality.

I watched the Battle of Algiers about 6 months ago..... it may have been more historically accurate but which one would you pay $10 to go see at a theater?

:lol:

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn